Godefroi IV “dit de Bouillon“ de Boulogne, duke of Lower Lotharingia, King of Jérusalem - vandalism

Started by Livio Scremin on Wednesday, May 5, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 20 posts
5/5/2021 at 7:44 AM

homonymy notices ignored, renamed and then merged into half-brother (renamed).
*https://www.geni.com/merge/view?revision_id=80065731960

Then in fact here we find the new today profile for buffering:
Geoffroi de Boulogne, bâtard, seignuer de Carshalton, Cambridgeshire, Coton-Manor

We can find the info about in the historical after merge, then canceled.

Strange noob movements and substitutions throughout the area.

5/5/2021 at 7:55 AM

The area was all perfectly MP documented, and illustrated.
It didn't need a dozen interventions.

5/5/2021 at 9:24 AM

whit discussion TAB warning.. updated as SOLVED:
*https://www.geni.com/discussions/179950?msg=1454846

5/5/2021 at 6:12 PM

is there a reason to remove the URL to Medlands primary sources?

5/5/2021 at 6:19 PM

again DIY Geneanet loaded as a medieval 1000 document!? o.O
*https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000175270388821

Private User
5/5/2021 at 7:41 PM

Livio,
As a curator, one of my responsibilities is to “teach”. Geni is not just a means to build a tree, not just a platform, but it has the opportunity to teach users about the people in the tree in the context of the history of their time, and I enjoy the historical research which frequently informs the genealogy. If you’re not interested in this then simply don’t partake of it, continue to add your own uninformative placeholders.

As such, I choose to use the overview tab for that purpose. Both FmgMedlands and Wikipedia are very well known to genealogists, all one needs to do if interested in learning more is highlight the display name copy and paste it into a search engine, then add the word MEDLANDS and one reaches the same page as a hyperlink. Not using them in the Overview tab is both neat and clean with respect to the dashboard presentation of a profile. You have the opportunity to add a hyperlink if you use the sources tab, which is what the tab is for.

With regard to Geneanet. This site is different from others in that it has only a single community tree, all others are by independent researchers, some seeking only to build a family tree, but other well known and considered SME in the field. At least one that I communicate with was a magician on Roglo (Roglo magician = Geni curator). Another has been referred to by Pattou or Cawley I believe. I use these sources not as primary evidence but to cross check other data, to occasionally fill in missing data not otherwise available. I don’t know what you mean by “medieval 1000 document”, I assume you are referring to its library, which I do not use.

I resent your use of the term “vandalism”. I resent your referring to me as a “noob”. And btw I don’t for one minute buy your argument that this is a language barrier issue. If your don’t understand a word, then don’t use it. A simple internet search turns up the following for noob:
1) “a person who is inexperienced in a particular sphere or activity...”
2) “It's usually a derogatory term...”
3) “Noob is widely used by gamers as an insult...”
And for all of these reasons should not be used on this platform.

And for someone who pulls illustrations from and entertainment website called Fandom and proceeds to use them as if they were source documented, you have no footing here. I check the images used against their source, if they have one, if not I try to find it. If a media tab has 13 copies of the same image then I delete 12 of them, and then source the one remaining. You do seem to source many of your images appropriately and that is appreciated, but others do not. I don’t change the profile image unless it’s fanciful, inaccurate or is a misrepresentation. The coats of arms I add, besides being well documented in armorials and other heraldic sources, are intended to 1) help user visualize how the kin group played a part in medieval Europe family and politics and 2) to tag a profile when I’m done with my updates to show that I’ve been there.

If you have specific questions regarding information in a profile then please ask an informed question, but keep it civil. If all you have are complaints about the work others do on profiles you “manage”, then please keep that opinion to yourself. My job as a curator is to make Geni a better tool for all users. If I see shortcomings in a profile I will address them respectfully as I have been doing, no matter the manager or curator, you included.

5/6/2021 at 5:55 AM

let's go by points:
So it was you who renamed the stepbrother? ignoring the homonym warning !?

I believe the dozens of cascading actions that can still be found in the changes tab come from this, but I can't trace who did the rename anymore, I just know you merged it.

this must be UNDO and the 2008 (renamed) profile restored at few days ago:
https://www.geni.com/merge/view?revision_id=80065731960

---------

Erica Howton sorry I did not understand, why now remove Medlands URL, and upload DIY online Genealned as a medieval 1000 document, example on Guillaume de Boulogne, bâtard fils de Eustace II ?

Private User
5/6/2021 at 12:10 PM

Ok,
I merged duplicate profiles for Godefroi IV. In the side by side view it should be clear that these two profiles were for the same person. After the merge there were data conflicts that were cleaned up. There were also tree conflicts that were correctly resolved. I see no reason to underage these profiles.

I think your concern might be that this Godefroi has a half brother with the same name. He remains as half brother in the tree in the correct location, as an illegitimate son of Eustache II and an unknown mother here: Geoffroi de Boulogne, bâtard, seignuer de Carshalton, Cambridgeshire, Coton-Manor

I did not ignore the homonym warning, the merge did not merge the half brothers by mistake, it was a clear duplicate. I have however to avoid further confusion added to and clarified the homonym warning in BOTH profiles.

It is this illegitimate half brother who had children. According to both Pattou and Cawley they were William, Harold and Mabilia (who was herself possibly illegitimate). Godefroi IV “dit de Bouillon“ de Boulogne was never married, had no children, was not known to have had any illicit liaisons nor to have fathered any illicit children.

Also for clarity, the name Bouillon was a nickname or aka, not a surname. It came from the name of the castle that Godefroi inherited, but later sold to finance his crusade.

5/6/2021 at 12:36 PM

yes yes, go round and round..
..but UNDO https://www.geni.com/merge/view?revision_id=80065731960

then we can UNDO also the renamed,
(3 day ago here was all MP HQ whit primary sources cited and linked)

5/6/2021 at 12:38 PM

Yikes, and here I am, busy adding links to FMG / Medlands to profiles. :) We do have the convention in medieval profiles of referencing Medlands links as an important “go to” reference, and agreed on that approach among the curators in 2011, I believe. This doesn’t mean other sources aren’t welcome, but don’t take away my links in “abouts.” :):)

I do find the naming easier to follow now. I don’t have an opinion on the uploaded document and am unlikely to, as it’s not an area I have studied. I upload all the time, however, “personal” sites from genealogists that seem well sourced.

Could use more eyes on this Cornwall line I have in fact just uploaded “docs who aren’t Medlands” to. But Cawley is quoted, maybe excessively.

https://www.geni.com/discussions/206229?msg=1354856

Private User
5/6/2021 at 1:02 PM

First, I made no changes to the overview tab for Godefroi IV, any links that were there are still there.

Second, I added the MEDLANDS link to Godefroi batard.

Third, neither 2008 nor being an MP makes a profile sacrosanct. Many of the earliest profiles from 2007/2008 were added by GEDCOM and have minimal information, so updating these profiles should be common practice for all users, not just curators. And being made an MP says nothing about the quality of the information, although one would hope that an effort for accuracy and completeness had been made. There is no rule against curators updating, modifying or correcting data in an MP, in fact because it is an MP it should be looked at more often.

There is nothing more to be gained here, I’ve no intention of getting into an unending verbal shoving match. I see no reason to make the requested undos.

Private User
5/6/2021 at 3:19 PM

Looks to me as though Godefroi and Geoffroi *did* get tangled up at least once or twice in the past. Now that they've been sorted out and the matter clarified, maybe it's time to just quietly let it drop.

5/6/2021 at 3:45 PM

no, the original profiles of 2008 and 2011 survived to the worst mistaken for a decade until the pairing of 3 day ago.
If Erica Howton is not afraid to contradict the efficient team, we can put things right in a few steps.
(for example now there are all the info about blocked and mixed by the fresh merge on Godefroy IV de Bouillon / Duc de Basse - Lotharinge & Advocate of the Holy Sepulchre )

Private User
5/6/2021 at 10:09 PM

Look, Livio, sometimes you just have to start from where you *are now*, not from where you think you ought to be.

Messing around with the profiles any further will just make things worse.

5/6/2021 at 10:17 PM

Godefroi IV “dit de Bouillon“ de Boulogne, duke of Lower Lotharingia, princeps of Jérusalem is your 28th great uncle.
You
→ Judy Carol Cain
your mother → Flora Ellen Lee
her mother → Vergin Adell Spicer
her mother → Augusta Jane Perkins
her mother → Sallie Tremble Carter
her mother → Phillip West Austin
her father → William Austin
his father → Mary Susannah Austin
his mother → Susannah McBee Vardy
her mother → John Vardy
her father → Samuel Vardy
his father → Jane Hyde
his mother → Robert Hyde, Esq., of Hyde Hall
her father → Jane Hyde
his mother → Blanch Warburton
her mother → Jane Marie Warburton, Lady
her mother → Sir William Stanley, Kt.
her father → Joan Goushill, Baroness of Stanley
his mother → Elizabeth FitzAlan, Duchess of Norfolk
her mother → Richard FitzAlan, 11th Earl of Arundel
her father → Eleanor of Lancaster, Countess of Arundel and Warenne
his mother → Henry of Lancaster
her father → Blanche of Artois
his mother → Mathilde van Brabant
her mother → Henry II, duke of Brabant
her father → Matilda of Boulogne, duchess of Brabant
his mother → Marie I, countess of Boulogne
her mother → Mathilde de Boulogne, Queen consort of England, comtessa de Boulogne
her mother → Eustace III, comte de Boulogne et de Lens
her father → Godefroi IV “dit de Bouillon“ de Boulogne, duke of Lower Lotharingia, princeps of Jérusalem
his brother
Cool :)

Private User
5/6/2021 at 11:19 PM

Almost as close...

Godefroi IV “dit de Bouillon“ de Boulogne, duke of Lower Lotharingia, princeps of Jérusalem is your first cousin 26 times removed.

You
→ Patricia, your mother
→ Anna Gertrude Post, her mother
→ Frederick Augustus Post, her father
→ Edwin Emulous Post, his father
→ Oliver Post, Jr, his father
→ Oliver Post, his father
→ Mary Post, his mother
→ Philip Chase, her father
→ Lydia Chase, his mother
→ Mary Challis (Sargent), her mother
→ William Sargent, I, her father
→ Richard Sargent, his father
→ Margaret Sargent, his mother
→ Agnes Anne Gifford, her mother
→ Elizabeth Master, her mother
→ Stephen Guillame Payne, her father
→ Sir John Payne, his father
→ Lord John Payne I, his father
→ Joan de Tyas, his mother
→ Alice le Tyas, her mother
→ Sarah Thornhill Tankersley, her mother
→ John de Thornhill, her father
→ Alice de Quincy, his mother
→ Matilda de Senlis, her mother
→ Matilda of Huntingdon, Countess of Huntingdon & Queen consort of Scotland, her mother
→ Judith de Lens, Countess of Huntingdon, her mother
→ Lambert II, count of Lens, her father
→ Eustace II “aux Gernons” de Boulogne, comte de Boulogne, his brother
→ Godefroi IV “dit de Bouillon“ de Boulogne, duke of Lower Lotharingia, princeps of Jérusalem his son

Fun stuff!

5/6/2021 at 11:23 PM

Peter Joseph Forsling is your 15th cousin.
You
→ Judy Carol Cain
your mother → Flora Ellen Lee
her mother → Vergin Adell Spicer
her mother → Augusta Jane Perkins
her mother → Sallie Tremble Carter
her mother → Phillip West Austin
her father → William Austin
his father → Mary Susannah Austin
his mother → Susannah McBee Vardy
her mother → John Vardy
her father → Samuel Vardy
his father → Jane Hyde
his mother → Robert Hyde, Esq., of Hyde Hall
her father → Jane Hyde
his mother → Blanch Warburton
her mother → Ellen Carrington
her sister → Jane Holland
her daughter → John Holland
her son → Ann Simmons
his daughter → Moses Simmons, of Duxbury
her son → Aaron Simmons
his son → Rebecca White
his daughter → Elizabeth White
her daughter → Cpl. Joshua William Bailey, Sr.
her son → Abigail "Nabbie" ( Nabbe) Fobes
his daughter → Clarissa Fobes
her daughter → Edwin Emulous Post
her son → Frederick Augustus Post
his son → Anna Gertrude Post
his daughter → <private> Doyle
her daughter → Peter Joseph Forsling
her son

Private User
5/7/2021 at 8:01 AM

Cool, good meeting you, cousin Tina!

5/10/2021 at 10:22 PM