Elizabeth M Winters - Surname

Started by Debbie Gambrell on Monday, March 29, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts
3/29/2021 at 12:33 PM

Her sister Maria (who has two profiles) married a Winter, but Maria and Elizabeth were supposedly Langton sisters. Elizabeth is shown married to John Emans. So why is her last name Winters?

3/29/2021 at 12:47 PM

Did you look at revisions tab and data conflicts to answer the question how that could be?

3/29/2021 at 12:50 PM

Go down the tree.

This profile says

Andries John Emans

Andries EMMANS was Jan's father. He fled from England to Leyden, Holland, for the sake of religious freedom and arrived at New Amsterdam in the vessel St. Jean Baptist on 9 May 1661. For a time he made his home in Gravesend.

So was Elizabeth M Winters a barons daughter?

You think?

3/29/2021 at 2:56 PM

No, I was only interested in clarifying her parentage and maiden name. I'm not related to her husband or his family at all.

I looked under the revisions tab and see where Maria was disconnected as her sister, so that dissolves that connection which is where I came in, since it's the Winter / Langton line I was tracing.

I still don't understand why Elizabeth's name is shown as Winters, but that only interested me in connection with her possible connection to my direct Winters line, which she doesn't appear to have.

The questions posed are for her descendants to sort. I just like to make sure the pathways I'm tracing aren't giving me false connections.

3/29/2021 at 3:43 PM

As usual, it was an excellent question that absolutely ends up affecting your lines. I wanted you to try and understand a profile history on Geni by looking at the revisions tab. The short answer is “it arrived on geni that way.” Someone, somewhere, thought Winters & Winter, same family. But if we look down the tree we see Puritans. And landed gentry could indeed have Puritan sympathies ... but they weren’t fleeing to Netherlands in fear of their life so much.

And for the real Wynter / Winter family - wrong Langton Pedigree for 400 years. Take a look at Mary (Langton) Winters mother now. She was a Tudor era wealthy widow.

3/29/2021 at 3:51 PM

Dame Mary Judde

This blog about her may help also.

https://marymathewsofessex.weebly.com/

3/29/2021 at 4:06 PM

Yes, I looked over that already since the corrections you made to the Winter / Langdon does apply to me as those are my directs. So I appreciate your efforts in clarifying the Langton lines of the two women who had erroneously been made sisters and the question that brought up is where I halted at that point. Whereas you're always so adept with these complex connections, I'm less and less so these days. I do fairly well some days and others it just taxes my brain too much and I have to go take a nap. lol

Thanks for the link to the blog on Dame Mary, as she's my 11th ggm. I'm trying to add to these lines in my Ancestry tree and will add that link to her profile. :)

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion