Lionel Cranfield, 1st Earl of Middlesex - Question about the Sculptured Coat of Arms on his Tomb

Started by Private User on Thursday, March 25, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 25 posts
Private User
3/25/2021 at 6:53 AM

""The History and Antiquities of the Abbey Church of St. Peter, Westminster: Including Notices and Biographical Memoirs of the Abbots and Deans of that Foundation. Illustrated by John Preston Neale. The Whole of the Literary Department by Edward Wedlake Brayley. In Two Volumes. Vol. 1. [-2.] Volume 2 (1823)

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_History_and_Antiquities_of...

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/abbey-commemorations/commemoratio...

In volume II, p.152, there is a rather detailed description of his tomb inside St. Benedict's Chapel at Westminster Abbey. He was Lord High Treasurer during the reign of James I. Died August 6, 1645. His very elaborate tomb is covered with a thick slab of black marble upon which lay hand carved marble effigies of himself and his second wife, Anne (who, according to every source I've seen including Geni, Wikipedia, and History of Parliament -- is the daughter of James Brett of Hoby, Leicestershire). I won't quote the entire lengthy inscription, as it mostly praises his many accomplishments and is reprinted in many different places including on Findagrave.

However, for those of you fluent in Latin (I'm not, in this case especially), here is a cut/paste paragraph listing his wives and progeny. I'm not even going to try to translate it, but maybe someone else would like to try:

"Duas successiue Coniuges accepit; ex utrisq suscepit prolem; Elizabetha prior peperit fæminas. Elizabetham hodiè Comitissam de Moulgraue. Martham Comitissam de Momouth. Mariam quæ ante nuptias diem obijt. Ex Anna relictâ hodiè Comitissa de Middlesx, et communi tumulo, Mods Deus Velit inhumanda, cuius apponitur effigies, nati sun Iacobus honorum hæres Middlesexiæ Comes. Lionellus et Edouardus superstites ; alterius sexus Francisca Domina Buckhurst. Susanna ante octennium denata infans: Hac Junii 25. 1647"

Additionally, on the head end of the tomb there is a beautifully preserved and quite intricate carving of Lionel's coat of arms, which may be seen in the photograph for his page at the Westminster Abbey website (linked above). What I find curious is how it is described in the book:

Arms: sculptured.

East end: Quarterly of Four;

1. on a Pale three Fleurs-de-Lis, CRANFIELD;

2. a Saltire charg. with five Martlets;

3. a Chev. betw. three Escallops, LITTLETON;

4. a Bend charg. with three Martlets.

Crest: on an Helmet surmounting a Coronet, an Antelope's Head, couped: mantled. Supporters: two Antelopes.

(Note that a carved Antelope lies at his foot. At Anne's foot is a Griffin)

Motto: "Difficilia quæ Pulchra" (translated, "Too beautiful").

West end: Arms as before;

Imp. Quarterly, 1st and 4th; a Fess dancette betw. twelve Billets, Brett;

2d and 3d, five Roses in Saltire.

Crests; dexter side, on an Helmet surm. by a Wreath, a Griffin's Head; sinister side, as Cranfield; both on one Coronet.

Supporters: on the dexter side an Antelope; oon the sinister a Griffin.

Mottoes: dexter as before; sinister, "Virtus in Ardua" ("Courage in difficult times").

Three family names, italicized in the text, are included in the detailed description of the arms found on Lionel Cranfield's tomb. BRETT obviously belongs to his wife, Anne.

But there are two family names on Lionel's quartered crest: CRANFIELD and LITTLETON.

Does anyone know why his quartered coat of arms should include those for "Littleton"? Is this a mistake? I know very little about the rules of heraldry, so I have no idea what the family name "Littleton" on his crest should represent. His mother? Or his first wife?

According to my sources, one of his fairly close associates was a "Sir Thomas Littleton". Could it be that these two families intermarried? I can think of no other reason for the two houses to be conjoined on Lionel's coat of arms.

https://research.tees.ac.uk/ws/portalfiles/portal/8058571/254593.pdf

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/42604454.pdf

This man, Thomas Littleton although not well developed here, is the father of Sir Adam Littleton, 1st Baronet of Stoke St. Milborough and grandfather of Sir Thomas Littleton, 2nd Baronet of Stoke St. Milborough

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Thomas_Littleton,_2nd_Baronet

Also, the chevron between three scallops is correct for the Littleton family arms.

I've long wondered about my 4th g-grandfather's origins and how he got such an unusual name Littleton Crankfield

Could it be that he is somehow descended from Lionel? Crankfield is a common Americanized variation of Cranfield, and both forms are found more than once in my ancestors' records.

Private User
3/25/2021 at 9:18 AM

Here's a rough and ready explanation of quartering, very tongue in cheek: https://www.theheraldrysociety.com/articles/quartering/

The Cranfields sound like very successful New Money, rather common in the Tudor era, so it is likely that his own arms were a new creation.

It's the 2nd and 4th quarters of the foot end that have the "five roses in saltire" quartered with Brett, which probably reflects Anne's mother's side of the family - and by the way, we have an inconsistency as to her parentage. History of Parliament says she was the daughter of James Brett of Hoby, not William Brett of Rotherby. https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1604-1629/member/c...

"Littleton" comes in on the lower left, which means it's from Lionel's side of the family and could be more than one generation back.

The oddity about the name "Littleton" in America is that although it was introduced by Col. Nathaniel Littleton (a collateral relative of the baronial Littletons), it was carried on by the descendants of a "poor relation", one John Littleton, whose connection to Col. Nathaniel was so distant that it has never been found.

3/25/2021 at 10:58 AM

I was hoping Maven would post and validate the article as being a decent explanation! I go dyslexic on quarterings.

Private User
3/25/2021 at 6:31 PM

I ready to attempt to translate the Latin inscription detailing his family connections. The Latin version is shown above in the OP.

"He had two successive marriages with progeny from both. First wife Elizabeth gave him two daughters, Lady Elizabeth Sheffield, Countess of Mulgrave and Lady Martha Carey, Countess of Monmouth

"Mary, who before her wedding day, died." Lady Mary Cranfield

"Second wife, Anne, Countess of Middlesex, had issue and shares the common grave with lifelike effigies. Her children inherited the Middlesex title. James Cranfield, Edward Cranfield Lionel Cranfield, 3rd Earl of Middlesex Frances Cranfield

""Susan his eighth child died sans progeny." (No Geni profile.)

Private User
3/25/2021 at 6:33 PM

Should read "First wife Elizabeth gave him daughters" (not "two daughters" -- I lost count).

Private User
3/25/2021 at 6:45 PM

Susan Cranfield died on June 25, 1647.

Private User
3/25/2021 at 9:25 PM

"A patent had been granted by King James [I] in 1606, limiting the dominion of Virginia, from the thirty-fourth, to the forty-fourth degree of northern latitude; which extent of territory had been divided into two parts, called North and South Virginia.

"The latter was assigned to certain noblemen, knights and gentlemen of London; the former to others in Bristol, Exeter and Plymouth.

"Those who were interested in the northern colony, finding that the patent did not secure them from the intrusions of others, petitioned for an enlargement and confirmation of their privileges.

"After some time [ca.1620-1], the king, by his sole authority, constituted a council, consisting of forty noblemen, knights and gentlemen, by the name of 'The Council Established at Plymouth, in the County of Devon, for the Planting, Ruling and Governing of New England, in America.'

"They were a corporation with perpetual succession, by election of the majority; and their territories extended from the fortieth to the forty-eighth degree of northern latitude.

"This patent, or charter, is the foundation of all the grants that were made of the country of New-England.

"But either from the jarring interests of the members, or their in distinct knowledge of the country, or their inattention to business, or some other cause which does not fully appear, their affairs were transacted in a confused manner from the beginning; and the grants which they made were so inaccurately described, and interfered so much with each other, as to occasion difficulties and controversies, some of which are not yet ended."

Of interest to me in sorting out the sketchy Cranfield branches, is the fact that among the 40 dignitaries composing the Council was one "Edmund] Lord Sheffield".

This could only have been Edmund Sheffield, 2nd Earl of Mulgrave , the son-in-law of our subject, Lionel.

So, was Royal Lt. Gov. of New Hampshire Edmund Cranfield his son? Grandson? If not, then how was he related?

Royal Lt. Gov. of New Hampshire Edward Cranfield

History of New Hampshire, p.3

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_History_of_New_Hampshire/c...

Another online discussion concerning the Cranfield genealogy:

https://soc.genealogy.medieval.narkive.com/W0cbizy7/descent-from-ed...

Private User
3/25/2021 at 9:41 PM

p.96 - [In 1682] Mason by another deed mortgaged the whole province to Cranfield, for twenty-one years, as security for the payment of one hundred and fifty pounds per annum, for the space of seven years. On this encouragement, Cranfield relinquished a profitable office at home, with the view of bettering his fortune here.

Private User
3/25/2021 at 11:24 PM

p.174 of "The History and Antiquities of the Abbey Church of St. Peter, Westminster"

"Immediately within the iron gates at the entrance near St. Benedict's Chapel, are three inscribed Slabs in memory of James Cranfield, second Earl of Middlesex, who died Sept. 16, 1652; LYONEL CRANFIELD, his brother, the third and last Earl, who died Oct. 26, 1674; Anne,
Countess Dowager of Middlesex, their mother, and Mr. EDWARD CRANFIELD, the youngest son of the third Earl, who died March 16, 1647."

This suggests (rightly or wrongly) that there was another Edward Cranfield who was the son of Lionel Cranfield, 3rd Earl of Middlesex who was unhappily married to the older Rachel Fane, Countess of Bath (they lived separately and neither one remarried).

His date of death on Geni is attributed to his uncle Edward Cranfield

Furthermore, various sources claim that Lionel Jr. died young and childless. Yet this bit of information disputes that claim. So one of them is in error. Maybe it was supposed to read, "youngest son of the *first* Earl." (In other words, a typographical error.)

The Westminster website is a little vague (the main problem being no picture of his tomb or access to any primary source such as official records), but seems to confirm this Edward Cranfield (d. 1647) as the son of Lionel Sr.

Another genealogist attempting to prove the lieutenant governor's line directly to Edward III has asserted this theory (linked above):

Edward III

/

1) Lionel of Antwerp, Duke of Clarence (1338-1368)

/

2) Philippa of Clarence, Countess of March (1355-1377)

/

3) Elizabeth Mortimer (1371-1417) m. first Sir Henry 'Hotspur' Percy (1364-1403)

/

4) Henry Percy, 2nd Earl of Northumberland (1394-1455) m. Eleanor Neville (1403-1472)

/

5) Anne Percy (1443-1522) m. first Sir Thomas Hungerford (c.1442-1469)

/

6) Mary, Lady Hungerford (1468-1533) m. first Edward, 2nd Lord Hastings (1466-1506)

/

7) Anne Hastings (c.1485-1550) m. Thomas Stanley, 2nd Earl of Derby (c.1481-1521)

/

8) Edward Stanley, 3rd Earl of Derby (1509-1572) m. first Lady Dorothy Howard

/

9) Lady Elizabeth Stanley (c.1535-1591) m. Henry Parker, 11th Lord Morley (1531-1577)

/

10) Edward Parker, 12th Lord Morley (c.1552-1618) m. Elizabeth Stanley of Monteagle (1558-1585)

/

11) William Parker, 13th Lord Morley (1575-1622) m. Elizabeth Tresham (1573-1648)

/

12) Hon. Elizabeth Parker m. Edward Cranfield (of London?)

/

13) Edward Cranfield (d. 1700), [Lt.] Governor of New Hampshire 1682-1685

Private User
3/25/2021 at 11:42 PM

Meanwhile, I also found some interesting info on the Littletons. "Various authors, throughout the collection of this information, have various spellings of the family name. The 1481 Worcester Cathedral tomb of Judge John records his name as Litleton. On Thomas’ Worcester memorial, it is Lyttelton. Lyttleton and Littelton have also been used."

Catherine Lyttleton and her husband Sir Thomas Lyttelton, 1st Baronet

"Thomas was baptised on 10 December 1595. He matriculated at Balliol College, Oxford, on 22 June 1610 aged 14, but was a member of Broadgates Hall when he supplicated for the BA degree on 02 July 1614. In 1613, Thomas became a student of the Inner Temple...On 25 July 1618, he was created a baronet and was knighted in Whitehall 09 November 1618 aged 25.

"Sir Thomas also had homes in St. Martin's Lane, Westminster and the Inner Temple, London; later at Hagley, Worcestershire and Westbury, Buckinghamshire.

"He died at Newcastle House, Clerkenwell, Middlesex on 22 February 1650 and was buried in Worcester Cathedral, where there is a monument to him. His will, dated 20 December 1649, was proved on 21 March 1650."

http://www.rgcrompton.info/origins/1600info4.html

Private User
3/26/2021 at 12:02 AM

On p. 493 of George Chalmer's "Political Annals of the Present United Colonies" (published 1780) the author actually referred to the Lt. Governor of New Hampshire as "Lionel" Cranfield (then corrected the following text to read "Edward"). A little odd for a professional historian, unless there really was a family connection between the two Cranfield men, in which case it might be an understandable mixup. In any case, it shows that the author had Lionel in mind while writing about Edward.

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Political_Annals_of_the_Presen...

Private User
3/26/2021 at 9:27 PM

His contemporary, Edward Littleton MP, 1st Baron Lyttleton has a big write-up on his Geni profile, but what isn't mentioned in all that wall of text is the fact that he is listed as a member of the Commission of the Treasury for about two and half years (1641 - 1643). And died in the same month, same year as Lionel Cranfield. I expect they were probably fairly well acquainted, at least.

Private User
3/27/2021 at 8:57 PM

In 1487, Sir John Digby and Sir William LITILTON were knighted.

(John Digby's arms were: Azure, a fleurs-de-lis Argent charged with a mullet Gules; Crest: an ostrich Argent holding in the beak a horse-shoe Azure.)

William Littleton's arms were: Quarterly,

1, Argent, a bend cotised Sable, a bordure engrailed Gules bezantée;

2, Argent, a chevron between three escallops Sable;

3, Argent, a fess Azure between four sinister hands couped Gules;

4, Argent, two wolves passant Gules.

[Motto] “Quære quod genus animalis,"

(in a later hand; "it should be two dogs, for PRESTON.”)

In 1497, Sir Bryan Sandforde was knighted ("dubbed") at the bridge foot upon the King's entering into London. His arms were: Per chevron Sable and Ermine, in chief two boars' heads couped Or. Crest: On a ducal coronet Gules a boar's head couped Or, tusked Argent.

At another time in the same year and at the same place, Sir Robert Sheffield, Recorder of London, and Sir John DUNHAM were knighted.

John Dunham's arms were: Azure, a chief indented Or, a label of three points Gules

(In 1513, Sir Owen Perrott, Sir Thomas Wentworth and Sir James Darell were knighted.)

Circa 1515-6, Sir Thomas DYNHAM was knighted. His arms were: Gules, four fusils in fess Ermine between three arches Argent, capitals and bases Or, two single in chief and one double in base, a pile of the last. Crest: “An Ermyn in his kynde with a lace aboute his necke and goinge und'r him golde, standinge betwene two (lighted) tapers gobony” (Or and Sable, flames Gules).

In 1523, Roye, France, in time of war, Sir Thomas Wentworth was knighted.

Circa 1543 Sir WILLIAM DENHAM was knighted.

In 1544 Sir Edward Darrell was knighted.

In 1547 Sir Thomas Wentworth was knighted.

In 1548 Sir John Parrett was knighted. Gules, three pears Or, on a chief Argent a lion passant Sable. Crest: On a mount Vert a parrot proper, winged of the first and beaked Gules.

In 1553 (time of Queen Mary I) Sir Edward LITLETON was knighted.

In 1558 (Queen Elizabeth I) Lord Sheffield was knighted.

Circa 1559 Sir Henry Cary was knighted (afterwards created Baron of Hunsdon)

In 1560 Sir Edward LITLETON was knighted. Blazon given in a later hand thus: “Arg't, a chevron with 3 escallops Sab., with a crescent for difference.” Crest: A buck's head cabossed Sable, between the attires Or and depending from them by its string Sable a bugle-horn Argent.

In 1566 Sir John LITLETON was knighted. Quarterly of twelve:

1, 2, 3, as at p.17;

4, Argent, a lion rampant Sable, debruised by a fess counter-compony Or and Azure;

5, Azure, a lion rampant and a bordure Or;

6, Gules, a lion rampant and a bordure engrailed Or;

7, Gules, a saltire Argent, thereon a martlet Sable for difference;

8, Argent, a bend between six martlets Gules;

9, Or, a fret Gules;

10, Argent, two lions passant in pale Gules;

11, Azure, six fleurs-de-lis Argent, a chief Or;

12, Argent, a chevron between three leopards' heads erased Gules.

Crest: as at p.117

In 1570 Sir George Cary was knighted.

(On January 24, 1579 Sir Godfrey Foulgeam was knighted at Westminster Abbey. His arms were a Quarterly of 24 parts.)

In 1591 Sir Charles Perry was knighted.

(In Whitehall on July 26, 1608, time of King James I, Sir John Swinerton of London was knighted.)

In July of 1608 at Bletsoe, Sir Thomas Tresham of Northumberton was knighted.

(On May 28, 1609 Sir JOHN DENHAM of Berkshire was knighted.)

(At Newmarket on March 3, 1610, Sir Henry Vane of Kent was knighted.)

On June 4, 1610, Sir Edward Sheffield, Lord Sheffield, was made Knight of the Bath.

Ditto: Sir Edward Bourchier; (Thomas, Lord Wentworth;) Sir Henry Carye

(At Bagshot, on September 1, 1611, Sir Lawrence Stoughton of Surrey was knighted.)

(At Royston, on December 6, 1611, Sir Thomas Wentworth of Yorkshire was knighted.)

At Whitehall on April 9, 1612, Sir Lewis Tresham of Northhampton was knighted (created baronet in June 29, 1611.)

At Otelands on July 4, 1613, Sir Lyonell Cranfeild of London was knighted.

At Theobald's on January 22, 1616, Sir John Suckling was knighted.

(At Otelands on July 3, 1616, Sir George Stoughton was knighted.)

(At Rycott on August 29, 1616, Sir John DENHAM was knighted.)

(At Newmarket on December 6, 1616, Sir Richard Sandford was knighted.)

(At Newmarket on December 16, 1616, Sir Thomas Wentworth was knighted.)

At York, on April 11, 1617, Sir William Sheffield was knighted.

At Whitehall on November 3, 1618, Sir Thomas Littleton was knighted.

At Whitehall on June 12, 1622, Sir Thomas Sackville, Gent. Usher, was knighted

At Whitehall on July 21, 1623 Sir RANDALL CRANFIELD was knighted.

At Whitehall on June 6, 1635 (time of Charles I) Sir EDWARD LITTLETON was knighted.

(At Whitehall on July 11, 1641, Sir Edward Duke of Suffolk was knighted.)

(At Newark on July 12, 1642, Sir John Digby of Notts. was knighted.)

(At Oxford on September 24, 1643, Sir Edward Alstone of Oxfordshire was knighted.)

At Crediton on July 30, 1644, Sir Thomas Basset and Sir Francis Basset were knighted, along with Sir Henry Carey.

In the field, in pursuit of Essex's army, September 1, 1644, Colonel Sir Edward BRETT was knighted.

"A book of Knights banneret, Knights of the bath, and Knights bachelor, made between the fourth year of King Henry VI and the restoration of King Charles II and knights made in Ireland, between the years 1566 and 1698, together with an index of names." by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. (published 1885)

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/007371111

Private User
3/27/2021 at 9:18 PM

I do not find Randall Cranfield on Geni.

Also in history books I found a Laurence Cranfield identified as the Baron of the Exchequer. But the latter seems to have been a typographical error which was supposed to be Lawrence "Tanfield" instead.

Of the latter it is said in Wikipedia: "His only daughter Elizabeth had married Henry Cary, 1st Viscount Falkland."

Which probably accounts for much of the confusion. Idk, I have to look at them again.

"Colonial Records. Calendar of State Papers, Colonial" p.36 of the text:

May 2, 1610 - Item 50, Letters Patent to Henry Earl of Northampton, Keeper of the Privy Seal: "Sir LAURENCE CRANFIELD, Chief Baron of the Exchequer."

https://archive.org/details/1964colonialrecordsc09greauoft/page/36/...

...Compared to Lawrence "TANFIELD" who lived in the same time period.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Tanfield

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/6531506/lawrence-tanfield

https://www.victoriacountyhistory.ac.uk/explore/items/sir-lawrence-...

https://www.victoriacountyhistory.ac.uk/explore/sites/explore/files...

Private User
3/28/2021 at 6:40 AM

There is a land record dated 1621-25, location undefined, between Randall Cranfield (knighted 1623, plaintiff) and Sir Thomas Polley kt., defendant. Regarding a short title for a manor, etc..

At this time, Lionel Cranfield would have been about 50-ish. I bet they knew of one another at very least.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3802450

Private User
3/28/2021 at 7:08 AM

Hasted tells us that SIR MAURICE DENNYS was descended from a good Gloucestershire family, and that he afterwards appended the addition of ST. JOHN to his name, having acquired a grant of other lands.

In the fourth year of [Queen] Elizabeth [I] he levied a fine of this manor, and died in 1564, leaving it to his wife the LADY ELIZABETH, who had previously married Sir Nicholas STATHAM, Mercer, of London.

She died in 1577, leaving the estate to her daughter ELIZABETH, widow of VINCENT RANDALL, and her two [grand]daughters Catherine [Randall] and Martha [Randall], who possessed it in undivided moieties.

Martha carried her moiety in marriage to Thomas Cranfield, Esq., of London, at whose death it passed to SIR RANDALL CRANFIELD, Knt., who, in the seventh year of Charles I., executed a writ of partition with Sarah, Countess of Leicester, and her son Sir John Smythe.

The other moiety, known by the name of Sutton Manor, was carried by Catherine the other daughter of Vincent Randall to Robert Wrote, Esq., of Gunton in Suffolk, who in the tenth year of King James I. (A.D. 1613) conveyed it to Sir William Swan of Southfleet, and he in 1613 passed it away to John Cole, Esq., of the Inner Temple (A.D. 1614), who two years afterwards sold this moiety to Sir Thomas Smythe, the second son of Customer Smythe of Westonhanger.

That part allotted to the Countess of Leicester and her son Sir John Smyth became a separate manor with Brook Place for a residence.

https://kentarchaeology.org.uk/sites/default/files/archcant/1897%20...

It seems fairly obvious that Randall Cranfield was the son of Thomas Cranfield and Martha Randall. So he was quite likely Lionel's brother. And that confirms my belief that he had a brother in addition to the sister, Martha Suckling. Because I was sure I had read about it somewhere.

Private User
3/28/2021 at 7:56 AM

I do not find any of the following missing profiles on Geni: Nicholas Statham (London merchant); Sir Randall Cranfield, Kt.; Lady Elizabeth (Unknown) Dennys [St. John], widow of Nicholas Statham; Elizabeth (Unknown), widow of Vincent Randall; Catherine (Randall) Wrote; Robert Wrote, Esq., of Gunton in Suffolk; Sir William Swan, of Southfleet (alive in 1613); John Cole, Esq., of the Inner Temple (a lot of John Coles, one alive at the correct time, but being a London grocer and not of the Inner Temple apparently);

Sir Maurice Dennys [St. John], from a "good Gloucestershire family, who died in 1564" -- is probably this profile: Sir Maurice Dennis, Kt.

However, while he does have parents and siblings listed, no wife or children...yet.

This is the closest I can find to this John Cole, although I'm not completely convinced (also the only source provided on his profile is a Findagrave for Thomas Cole -- a completely different person with no proven connection to anybody, much less to this John Cole: John Cole

Thomas "Customer" Smythe, MP

Sir Thomas Smythe, MP

Sarah Blount, Countess of Leicester

Sir John Smythe, MP, of Sutton-at-Hone

Private User
3/28/2021 at 8:35 AM

So apparently Isaac Newton made a list titled, "An Account of the Wardens Masters & Comptrollers of the Mint from 1603."

Thus we now have an occupation of sorts for Sir Randall Cranfield:

"1624 - Sir Edw. Villiers & Sir Wm. Parkhurst, Wardens; Sir Randall Cranfield, Master."

Evidently he was Master of the Mint from about 1624-6. And If I remember correctly that was around the time when Lionel Cranfield, Chief Baron of the Treasury -- was under intense political attack from the Duke of Buckingham.

http://www.newtonproject.ox.ac.uk/view/texts/normalized/MINT00012

Private User
3/28/2021 at 5:30 PM

"Fourth Report of the Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts, Part 1, Report and Appendix" (published 1874)

https://www.google.com/books/edition/Reports/uV8pAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&amp...

p.313 - 1624, April 1, Copthall.—Draft of a letter by the Earl of Middlesex to his brother Sir Randall Cranfield. —When the King was last there, by some negligence there was not Angel gold enough ready for the people that came to be healed.—Complaint to tho King as if it had been Sir Randall's fault.—Asks him to find out who was in fault, so that he may make just excuse.

p.17 - 1628, May 30.—Petition of Sir Randall Cranfield, Knight. Petitioner's father was by Letters Patent appointed master and worker of the monies of gold and silver within the Tower of London, with remainder to Vincent Cranfield, petitioner's son. Sir Robert Harley has by false pretences procured a Patent to be granted to him of the said office. Prays for enquiry.

In conclusion, these official state records prove the existence of Lionel's brother Randall Cranfield, and corroborates his occupation as Master of the Mint and the fact that he was a knight.

It also introduces the fact that Randall Cranfield had a son: Vincent Cranfield. Which means he had a wife as well, most likely.

Private User
3/28/2021 at 9:20 PM

Vincent Randall's widow, Elizabeth: judging from J. V. Wadmore's wording in his article on the Knight Hospitallers in Kent -- she is more than likely the daughter of Nicholas Statham, London Mercer.

Basically because her mother's second husband left his manorhouse estate to her mother, apparently not even mentioning "her daughter" (read: not his daughter) in the will with regard to the house. She finally got possession of it, thanks only to her mother's will.

And her mother (also Elizabeth) shouldn't be too difficult to figure out, either.

Private User
3/28/2021 at 9:56 PM

p.309: No.19. Paper.—Small genealogies of the Families of Bourchier, Cranfield, and Greville.

"Royal Commission on Historical Manuscripts"

This particular volume has notes for upwards of well over 170 references to Lionel Cranfield, not counting variations in spelling and other members of his family and close associates. It is an intriguing opportunity to piece together the beginning of a biographical sketch for him.

The manuscripts listed were all discovered within the files and archives of Parliament, I gather.

Private User
3/28/2021 at 11:50 PM

Read somewhere that Lionel, Sr. suffered intensely during the First English Civil War owing to his home's position right between the two opposing factions. On December 21, 1643, his nephew, Vincent Cranfield wrote him a letter, abstracted here:

"Seasements are daily so great, the country raises 200 horse for Sir W. Waller, to secure their teams, who is marched to Midhurst.—Cowdry hath been long possest by the Parliamentary forces. Sir Ambrose Brown's house by Darbin (being called Bellsworth Castle) hath a 1,000 men put in to it by the Parliament. Sir Henry Haman commands them. On Tuesday 1,000 horse from the Earl of Essex marcht by us to Sir W. Waller; the Kentish forces are also come to him: —'tis reported the King hath sent down more forces to Basin house, and that Prince Rupert is on his march this ways; if it holds good, the Earl of Essex is expected suddenly at Kingston."

(p.279 of the text.)

I also note with some amusement several letters sent to Lionel, Sr. from Sir Kenelm Digby, who must have been a very close friend, possibly a family relation -- advising him on matters of romance. One of them is abstracted here (from p.278 of the text):

1643, July 10. London. Kenelm Digby to Lord Cranfield.—My dear Lord, Gutta cavat lapidem non vi sed saepe cadendo.—A familiar letter, full of Latin quotations, to condole on or wean Lord Cranfield from his passion for a lady. (3 fol. pp.)

**The Latin proverb translates: "A drop hollows the stone, not with force but by falling."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenelm_Digby

p.276 of the text, "The Manuscripts of the Right Honourable The Earl De La Warr (Baron Buckhurst) at Knole Park, Co. Kent." Sheds some light upon the politics of greed in those times.

And finally, we have the year of death and place of burial for Mary Cranfield, who died young, unmarried and sans progeny (p.112 of the text):

[1641.]—Petition of William Ambler. As vestry clerk off the cathedral church of St. Peter's at York, was entitled to the covering cloths laid upon coffins at burials in that church.

"In 1635 Lady Mary Cranfield was buried there, and had a velvet covering cloth upon her coffin. Dr. Stanhope, one of the prebendaries pretended title to this cloth, and upon petitioner refusing to give it up, violently struck him iu the choir of the church, and by force took away the keys of the vestry. He then procured his dismissal from his place, and in conjunction with Dr. Hodgson, another prebendary, prosecuted him for the cloth. Prays that Dr. Stanhope and Dr. Hodgson may be sent for to answer for their oppressions."

Private User
3/29/2021 at 12:34 AM

At Hinchinbrooke on 28 October, 1623 -- Sir Kenelme Digby was knighted.

(Reference linked above.)

Private User
3/29/2021 at 1:54 AM

[pp.xiii-xiv of the preface] Earl De La Warr—The manuscripts at Knole Park are of much interest, and Earl De La Warr kindly allowed a summary of their contents to be submitted to Your Commissioners. At present a part only has been examined by Mr. Horwood, whose report will be found at p. 276 of the Appendix.

The greater portion consists of the letters and papers of Lionel Cranfield (successively Lord Cranfield, Viscount Cranfield, and Earl of Middlesex), Lord High Treasurer of England. He witnessed the fall of Lord Chancellor Bacon, two or three of whose letters grace this collection.
His own impeachment was soon to follow, and there are numerous letters and papers on this subject.

His friends were urgent to obtain mercy for him, but Prince Charles and the Duke of Buckingham were opposed to their request, and on one occasion the King delayed reading a petition from Cranfield, while they staid in the room.

Among the items of intelligence likely to interest the historian will be found the expenses
of the funeral of Queen Anne [of Denmark], consort of James I.; the gifts obtained by Buckingham from the Crown; a list of the magnificent jewels the Treasurer was commanded
to take out of the Tower for the Prince on his journey into Spain; the large demands for money made by the Prince at Madrid, where Buckingham's conduct called forth a letter from a Spanish nobleman to King James, of which a copy is preserved at Knole.

The affairs of the Palatinate produced many letters to the Treasurer, among them from Sir Richard Weston, and from the King and Queen of Bohemia, to whom James I. made a liberal allowance.

There is a petition signed by Raleigh and letters from his widow.

But the papers at Knole are not confined to the reign of James the Eirst. A few refer to the latter years of the reign of Elizabeth, and many to the reign of Charles the First and to the century which followed after his death.

The collection is further enriched by the correspondence of Sir Kenelm Digby, Lord Herbert of Cherbury, the Chevalier de Grammont, and Sir John Suckling.

The great Civil War is illustrated by a variety of letters, in one of which is an account of the battle of Newbury. The papers relating to Ireland in the times of James the First and his successor are numerous and interesting.

John Dryden asks for a room or two in Somerset House; and a letter by Thomas Shadwell shows the jealousies of the dramatists and actors of his time.

Nell Gwyn obtained Burford House at New Windsor in fee simple in failure of the issue of her son the Earl of Burford. The Earl of Shaftesbury asks the Earl of Dorset to inform the King that
Shaftesbury is willing to make his submission. For the next century there are letters from Lord George Sackville and other papers connected with him.

The state of the trade and finance in this country during the reign of James the First is abundantly shown in this collection. The petitions to the Lord Treasurer are numerous; many are by pensioners, servants, and workmen of the Crown whose pensions and pay were scandalously in arrear.

John Florio (compiler of the celebrated Italian Dictionary and contemporary with Shakespeare) prays hard for his arrears; and a Mons. Jurnall states that by King James's order he had translated all the King's works, and printed some of them beyond seas; also Sir Philip Sydney's
Arcadia, and some of Lord Bacon's writings. An account of the remainder of the collection at Knole will appear on a future occasion.

(Note that this volume of inventory of historical English manuscripts isn't limited to the De La Warr collection, and is only one of multiple volumes in the series.)

Private User
3/30/2021 at 10:05 PM

With regard to Lionel's house at St. Bartholomew's Priory in London:

"The Records of St. Bartholomew's Priory and St. Bartholomew the Great, West Smithfield: Volume 2"

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/st-barts-records/vol2/pp159-180#p22

By whom the prior's house was occupied after the death of Rich in 1567 we have no record, but in 1612 his grandson, the third Baron Rich, granted an eighteen years' lease of it to Arthur Jarvais, Esquire, clerk of the pipe. The following particulars are given in Lord Henry Holland's Rental of 1616 (see plan, p. 77):

'Arthur Jarvais Esquire houldeth one parte of the Mansion house of the Lord Rich situate in the close of Great St. Bartholomew's nere West Smithfield by lease from the Right Honble. Lord Rich dated 16° Junii ao Ris Jacobi 10° (1612) for tearme of 18 yeres from the feast of All Saints then last past yielding therefor yearly on the first of May and first of November by even porcions in toto LXX.'

The year 1612 is that in which Robert Lord Rich settled the property on his son Henry. It was the father, Robert, who granted this lease, since Henry, created Baron Kensington in 1622 and Earl of Holland in 1624, was never Lord Rich...

...Jarvais' lease expired on November 1st, 1630; his wife Anne was buried in the chancel of the church on the 30th December 1626.

He was succeeded immediately by Lionel Cranfield, Earl of Middlesex (pl. LXXVIII, p. 164), for there is an entry in the Parish Register on the 27th December 1631, that the earl's daughter Susanna was baptized in the church, and an entry in the churchwardens' accounts that on the 15th March 1631–1632 they 'recd. of the Lord of Middlesex in part of his license for Lent 6/8d.'

After 1635 the house is called in the ratebooks Middlesex House, and the fore-court and inner-court, Middlesex Court. The passage through the dorter and the three dwellinghouses in the Lady Chapel were, from 1789 to 1880, all known as Middlesex Court, and in a recent deed Cockerill's Buildings were described by the same name.

That it was the prior's house that was occupied by the Earl of Middlesex is proved by Nightingale, who wrote in 1815: 'In Middlesex Court, entering from 61 Bartholomew Close, is a large old building known by the name of Middlesex House.'

Lionel Cranfield was born in 1573, and was created Earl of Middlesex in 1622. He was committed to the Tower for corrupt practices in 1624 but released the next year.

Letters from him are preserved dated from St. Bartholomew's in 1634 and 1639, and letters addressed to him at his house in Great St. Bartholomew's in 1636 and 1640.

He died in 1645 and we may assume that he continued to dwell here until that date. The property was in his wife's name, for, in a survey of the liberty of St. Bartholomew's in 1642, there is an entry 'the countess of Middlesex her house . . . the old house £83/6/8d.'

In the year of his death there is an entry in the churchwardens' accounts 'received of the countess of Middlesex for the poor 13/-'. She died in 1647. They were both buried at Westminster Abbey in St. Benedict's chapel, where they are commemorated by a large table tomb.

The earl was twice married. By his first wife Elizabeth, daughter of Richard Shepherd, he had two daughters [three including his eldest, Mary, who died unmarried]; one of whom married Sir Henry Carey, who succeeded his father as the second Earl of Monmouth and lived apparently in the monastic infirmary of St. Bartholomew's.

By his second wife Anne, daughter of James Brett, he had three sons and two daughters. The eldest, James, succeeded to the title and was married at the parish church in 1646 to Lady Anne Bourchier, daughter and co-heiress of Edward, Earl of Bath. He died childless [should read: "without male heir"], so he was succeeded in 1651 by his brother Lionel, who was the third and last earl, and married Rachel [Fane], the daughter of Francis, Earl of Westmorland, and widow of Henry, Earl of Bath. Francis, Earl of Westmorland, who died in 1628, had lived in the parish and is commemorated there by the name of the houses known as Westmoreland Buildings.

The third Earl of Middlesex continued to live in the parish. Among the House of Lords MSS. of the year 1675 there is 'a copy certificate (but with no date) to the Lord Mayor from the Constables and Churchwardens of St. Bartholomew the Great, of clergy or laity who made any stay within this parish after the time limited by His Majesty's proclamation'.

The names given are 'Lionel, Earl of Middlesex, Edward Lord Herbert, Sir Christopher Nevill, Lady Mary Woolton, and two others'. The earl died 26th October 1674, and he also was buried in Westminster Abbey.

We find by the rate-books that the house, though subdivided into several dwelling-houses (as Strype tells us), continued to be inhabited by Cranfields and there are numerous entries in the parish registers concerning them.

There are also entries of Campfield, Camfield, Canfield, and Carnfield, but we shall be justified in assuming that they are of one and the same family, because in 1682 Jacob Canfield appears in the rate-books as occupying the north part of Middlesex House, and in 1693 his name is spelt Carnfield and in 1698 Camfield.

Then, in the southern end of the same house, made no doubt into a separate dwelling, we have Francis Camphield (assessed at 9 Hearths in 1674), and paying rates in 1682, who becomes Canfield in 1687, Carnfield in 1693, and Camfield in 1698 and 1705.

In 1709 and 1710 'Widow Camfield' occurs, and then the name appears no more. The successor in the house was Elizabeth Bristow, but there are no records concerning her.

We have shown thus fully how the old prior's house was occupied in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries; we must now show the position of the nonconformists' meeting-house, which was in the rear portion of Middlesex House (see plan, p. 77)...This meeting-house, which is still standing, is situated in Middlesex Court, and was part of a large old building called Middlesex House. In its present appearance it wears the evident marks of great antiquity...

...[D]uring the Commonwealth, it had been 'occupied by one of the numerous sects that abounded in that period'...During the persecuting reign of Charles II, on account of the obscurity of its situation, it was admirably adapted for purposes of concealment. In several parts of the building there is every appearance of private doors, supposed to have been made to facilitate the escape of the worshippers.'...

...It is evident that that part of the prior's house which ran south from Bolton's door in the church is not here indicated because the rate-books show that portion to have been occupied by the Cranfields.

Arthur Jarvais, however, as shown, in addition to occupying the prior's house, had—as part of his premises—the dismantled sacristy, and we assume that the Earl of Middlesex had the same and that it was the sacristy with part of the south triforium which was referred to in Wilson's description. It was certainly admirably adapted for purposes of concealment, being in the secluded inner court of what had been the prior's house. The private doors, to which Wilson refers, were probably those which at one time had connected with the other parts of Jarvais' house. Hardwick's plan shows three doors on the ground floor in addition to the one into the south aisle of the church and the large entrance in the west wall to the south transept.

Figure 3: Where Benjamin Franklin worked in the Lady Chapel of St. Bartholomew the Great. (See p. 81.)

Old plans of St. Bartholomew the Great:

https://www.medart.pitt.edu/image/England/London/St-Bartholomew/800...

Abstracts of historical wills relevant to the parish:

Sir Edward Carye, 'now of Greate Saint Bartholomews, Knight and Master and Treasurer of His Majesties plate and jewells'. Bequeathed to his son Henry Carye all his household stuff, linen, white plate, brass and pewter in his house in Great St. Bartholomew's and in his house at Aldenham, co. Herts. To the poor dwelling in the Close, £5. A.D. 1618.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/st-barts-records/vol1/pp528-557

You all might enjoy checking out these two heavily illustrated volumes detailing the history (including associated genealogies) of St. Bartholomew's. The Archive dot org copies are the most user-friendly.

https://archive.org/details/recordsofstbarth02webb_0/page/134/mode/2up

https://archive.org/details/recordsofstbarth02webb_0/page/n313/mode...

https://archive.org/details/recordsofstbarth01webb/page/n7/mode/2up

Table of intermarriages between the leading families in the parish of St. Bartholomew the Great during the latter half of the 16th and the first half of the 17th centuries (including the Cranfields):

https://archive.org/details/recordsofstbarth02webb_0/page/n389/mode...

Sir Richard Rich and his descendants:

https://archive.org/details/recordsofstbarth02webb_0/page/n425/mode...

Showing all 25 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion