ה"ה האלוף מוהר"ר הירש הכהן ווארצקי,זצ"ל(מנהיג ופרנס הקהילה היהודית בקאליש),מגזע רש"י - Question about DNA testing

Started by Haim Katz - Hachoen Wartski on Wednesday, March 17, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 17 posts

Private User
This is my great grandfather's(3) profile . For a very long time I have been searching for my great grandfather's(4) identity
Yesterday I found in a book about Kalisz about Rabbi Fishel, the name and date are appropriate, but the last name was not written (not even hachoen) , so I'm not sure he is indeed my great grandfather (4)

What do I know:
The wartski-hachoen family is a branch of families: teomim, Halevi Horowitz, and Frenkel-Mirlish, but probably through Ancient mothers (it is quite clear that for the Halevi Horowitz family, the connection must be through an ancient mothers).
My interest is only in the wartski-hachoen family, can a DNA test help me? If so, which test and how is it performed (I live in Israel, and here the test is prohibited by law)
I greatly appreciate your answer

Hello Haim,

I cannot advise on the law of Israel pertaining to genealogical genetic testing because I am not an Israeli lawyer.

I do know that one of the biggest genealogy labs in the world is MyHeritage (parent company to GENI) who is headquartered in Or Yehuda, Israel, and I know that many Israeli citizens have done DNA testing for genealogy, so it can be done somehow.

MyHeritage is not the lab to use if you want to do yDNA (son-to-son) testing. For yDNA testing the best lab is Family Tree DNA (https://www.familytreedna.com/). I am sure that if you make an inquiry at FTDNA customer service they will be able to inform you as to whether they can send a testing kit to an address in Israel. Another option is to use the address of a friend or relative who does not reside in Israel and then have them send you the kit. The testing can be done at home and involves only a q-tip and a plastic vial. Then the vial is returned by mail to the lab. The process takes about 10-15 minutes.

As for the Wartski branch research, I cannot guarantee what you will discover, but if you were to test yourself in order to obtain your yDNA haplogroup, that could lead to connections with other trees and other Rabbinical lines. The minimum test is the Y37 test at FTDNA, but this will only provide you with only the most basic information. To have a complete understanding of your yDNA lineage you would need the BY700 test which is much more expensive.

Cordially,
Adam

Private User

I thank you very very much

Hi Haim Katz - Hachoen Wartski,

What does it say about Rav Fishel? What book was it?

Wonder if there's info that helps figure out the connection between the Kalisz and Turek Wartskis.

hi
Private User
I have attached the information to the profile picture of
Rabbi Ephraim Fiszel Katz, of Warta
I should note that my great-grandfathers (1-3) had a son named Fishel, so this is an indication that the name is very significant to the wartski family, and as I wrote, both the name and the date, as well as the title Appropriate, but do not write the last name (not even written that he was choen) so I am undecided whether he is indeed my great-grandfather (4)

As for turek in the books I read, it is indeed written that there was a transfer of the wartski family members from turek to Kalish, and probably all the family members from Kalish, are relatives.
In addition, as you know, in my estimation all members of the wartski (hachoen) family are relatives, and we all have a common ancestor

Philip Wartski (my cousin from Turek) was Pinchas Fishel. So yeah, that name happens a lot in that family. I think you're on the right track.

Private User
This is my great grandfather's profile (6) through my grandmother side:

Rabbi Mordechai (Markus) Teomim, (Parnas of Kalisz)
I have a theory that his daughter / granddaughter is my great grandmother through my grandfather, but I can not prove

Private User
Is Philip Claire's great-grandfather?
Is he the person my father and his brother turned to after the war?( I brought up the letter in our group)?

Philip is Claire's great-grandfather, I believe. He was indeed the person in Durban who your father sent a letter to.

Philip also was the reason my family moved to South Africa. My great great-grandfather followed him first from London to Wales, and then to Durban.

Private User
My great grandfather (I think Rabbi Moshe Meir), had many brothers all left Poland and moved to many countries, I remember asking my father why, and he did not know the reason

Private User

If we believe that Fischel is indeed my great-grandfather (4), we have Breakthrough.
In addition, note another name that is found in all generations: marcus, apparently also this name has great significance in the wartski family

The Wartkis from Turek mostly moved for economic reasons, although they did experience antisemitism. They were probably cousins of your great-grandfather though, not brothers.

They (also my family) were all weavers in Turek, which must have been a hard way to make a living. They sent one brother at a time to England to get established, and then as soon as they had some money they would send for the next brother or sister. The process took from about 1860 until 1910 or so!

One of Philip's sons was Leslie *Marcus*, by the way.

Here's his ancestry list: https://www.geni.com/list/ancestors/6000000002580005778#6 - I got a lot of that info from the Book of Residents of Turek.

Private User
You may be right, and they were cousins and not brothers. My father and his brother were told that they had an uncle in Paris who was a rabbi, of course they did not come to Paris, and they immigrated to Israel

"Uncle" can mean any older relative though.

Private User
You're right. My father passed away very many years ago, I do not remember all the things he said, and even then, searching for roots did not interest me at all.

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion