Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 8 posts
3/5/2021 at 10:43 AM

Hi
I propose that his profile be renamed more properly to:
Sir / James / Stewart / 1st Baron Pearston

(knight never has a place as a suffix unless showing the postnominal (e.g. 'KG')

Also, I show a birth location of Dundonald, Ayshire.

tks
Joel

3/5/2021 at 11:31 AM

Private User Denman

Don't give up!

Private User
3/5/2021 at 11:31 AM

I agree with you about the naming convention.

And while we're on the same topic, to Anne Brannen -- I can't understand why you reversed my merge, because doing so you have fragmented and split the tree. I did extensive research and worked hard on this line because it was so neglected in some areas. And I added appropriate sources before merging. Now I have to wonder how much of my labor is being undermined in the same fashion.

https://www.geni.com/merge/view?revision_id=79544075920

You have created duplicates out of sourced profiles that I had added and properly merged during the course of processing that lineage.

Sir James Stewart, of Pierston

Sir James Stewart, of Pierston

Sir Robert Stewart, of Shambothy & Innermeath

Sir Robert Stewart, of Shambothy & Innermeath

Lady Stewart of Rosyth

Catherine Stewart

It also looks like the last two may have been reassigned husbands in order to make the split work for you. But it's all too confusing, with the lack of communication to even bother with anymore.

I may have made some changes which I believed based on solid research would further the integrity of the line. But I don't have the power to reverse merges and completely undermine other people's work. Only curators can do that. And you aren't even the assigned curator for these profiles, apparently.

I give up. (Also I had to repost, 'cause the whole thing is so confusing.)

Private User
3/5/2021 at 11:33 AM

Joel Morin thanks, I appreciate the encouraging words. I apologize for deleting the post you replied to (have reposted a corrected version just below your reply).

3/5/2021 at 11:57 AM

Private User -- we would like duplicates in the medieval tree to not be merged in, please. If you have information that should go into medieval profiles in the Tree, please add that information to the profile -- if the profile is locked, you can contact the curator.

Thanks!

3/5/2021 at 12:05 PM

This piece of the Stewarts was connected to another piece that was quite tangled; sometimes when I am untangling things get disconnected for a while -- AND then if I get called away, I sometimes miss that disconnections till later.

So I'll work on this.

Thanks!

But please don't create duplicates in the medieval tree; whether or not they themselves were solid, when the tree gest tangled (and the Stewarts often do) even good merges have to get undone, in the untangling process.

3/5/2021 at 12:13 PM

@Anne Brannen

Here's a thing...
I may be new to Geni but I've been doing medieval genealogy for 35+ years.

I applaud your policy that medieval profiles need to be done carefully, but I have to say that I see a lot of spotty and shoddy work done and espoused by Curators.

I don't know how much training or coordination you do amongst yourselves but there are some sub-standard decisions being made.

My current focus is Scotland. It has its own lingua franca. Someone should take a step in cleaning up the mess. It's a huge undertaking! But words (names, suffixes, titles...) count.

This isn't a personal poke at you, as I don't know your work yet. It's just a frustrated vent.

I'd also suggest that changes be proposed via discussion so that other researchers may weigh in, should they have supporting or diverging info.

3/5/2021 at 12:14 PM

Ah. Got it.

The last two names you give are both Master Profiles, and though one of them gives the father in the curator's note, it's stated as "unknown" in the Overview.

Sending this to those curators.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion