Marie Magdeleine (Sarah) Lalonde (Allen dit Hélène) - Need a curator please and thank you

Started by Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087, Tree builder on Monday, January 25, 2021
Showing all 9 posts

She was born in Massachusetts. Can we remove this name?

1/25/2021 at 10:42 PM

Cynthia,
I'm going to change this back to what it was before your combination. Michel Marleau and I spent a great deal of time on this profile this year because there are so many profiles on Sarah/Marie out there on other platforms with many bits of confusing information. Suzanne Lalonde helped confirm much of that work. There are a number of simple misspellings that are not held up when you go back to the actual original source material. I hope you looked at all the source material that's been attached that validates the name on the profile. The most important one is probably her baptism into the Catholic Church in Quebec. This may have been coerced or by her own choice. To date, I've found nothing in the many family presentations of her history. She was indeed born in Mass. but lived most of her life in French Canada and used her French name most of her life. This name change/conversion is the source of most of the confusion. Michel, Suzanne Lalonde and I count her as our 6th GGM. What we've put in here accounts for all the names she used throughout her life, which seems the best way to resolve the conflicts. Please don't change this back again without a discussion first. Many thanks, Best,
Suzanne

She is not French.

There are options for English and for French. I think it would be appropriate to use BOTH in this case. Her parents were not of French origin and it makes no sense to have the accent agu's etc in her name from birth.
I do understand your sentiment, however. She is my first cousin on her father's side, my mother's.

Private User
1/27/2021 at 5:36 PM

Was this not the woman grabbed by the Iroquois? Is that story true?

Private User
1/29/2021 at 12:03 PM

Marie Magdeleine (Sarah) Lalonde (Allen (dit Hélène)) Went by this name the rest of her life- Chose to stay with her Native family . I have many DNA matches with these family lines on both sides.

1/30/2021 at 12:05 PM

Yes, this is the woman who was captured in the Deerfield raid in 1704. Much of this info is included in her profile in both the overview and sources and discussions. Many Lalonde family members have contributed and there is lots of info about her story. She did reportedly live with a Mohawk family for some time but was later bartered to the French farmer Quenet. This is all visible in the images of the original documents that are included in her profile. I continue to look for more. She's a fascinating figure who unlike some others who were captured eventually returned and took up their former Puritan lifestyles.
I've included references to both the museum exhibit in Deerfield and some YouTube videos. Additionally, the book Captors and Captives by Evan Haefeli and Kevin Sweeny is of interest. As to splitting hairs over her origin, it's clear that she was of English stock and her line goes back to some very notable people. It's not in question. The name as it is set up now was done for clarity for people who come upon her in their research as her name is presented in so many different forms. The English form is there including her English surname as a Dite name of Helene which is on her baptismal document and sounds like her birth surname ALLEN in French. It's pretty logical to include it that way. On using the French accents, I'm of the opinion that whatever your own language is that it's most appropriate to write a name as written by those who speak and use it. I really hate the Anglicization of names like

1/30/2021 at 12:08 PM

Sorry, hit the wrong button... I really hate the Anglicization of Place names like Firenze being called Florence, etc. It's sort of arrogant. Just my view. She did bear and raise many French-speaking children and lived in French Canada for the remainder of her life after age 12. Surely we can stand a couple of accents! ;-)
Please look at the data included in the profile, it is really fascinating.

1/30/2021 at 12:14 PM

I'd love to hear Erica Howton's take on this as well, especially as she's another cousin...

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion