Coflicting sources -choose ?

Started by J P Weyers on Friday, January 22, 2021
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 23 posts

Have different sources different info

George Frederick GOCH and Dorothea Magdalena VAN DE KAAP (Heese & Lombard - states they are "beide vrygestelde lyfeienes") who could have been born c 1794

They had a son Frederick George v.d.Kaap Goch 1814-1865 (Heese & Lombard and Death Notice 1579.5)

then

DN different parents

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSQF-VYVP?i=876&am...

What Death Notice did Heese & Lombaard use ?

Why I believe on seeing actual documents if at all possible not just a mention of them , this is not a poker game we show our cards , share info and sources .

Believe parents as Heese says but added incorrectly on his DN ,
His wife name written as his mother on his death Notice .
So both his parents freed slaves born at the Cape .

Yes - it irritates me when the old genealogies don't show their sources.

does June Barnes have copies of Heese & Lombaard perhaps ?

Tag June, Judi and Daan

Private User

Daan Botes

Private

Phillip I do. That is just the problem. There are not always sources, but they are truly reliable to give info on the early stages.

I sat in the Pretoria Archives on day to look at the beginning of SA baptisms. I took 100's of photos -that was in 2010-2018 sometime - and saw that it was really true.
On one day children from one household (huisgesin) were all baptized in one day. Ages between 3 days and 18. On the same day some of them were also "aangeneem" and married.

Sometimes it was at a funeral of maybe a parent or grandparent. That was the original Church records. Very interesting and thick books.

The reason mainly due to the fact that churches were far away, transport was not available, but funerals had to be done and then everything happened.

Sad but so true.

So interesting to hold those old books and records in your hands. I miss going there.

Judi

Sorry. I have sent the same message twice. Let me try again in my best English. Sharon you know my explanations in English is not always correct.
Phillipp - The SO (Stamouers) and the DN gives the same parents as well as quotes Heese with the same DN MOOC 1579.5.
The wife is the same, but with an AKA surname of ODENDAAL.
The profile is also the same and if you subtract the d.o.d. from the age at death it give a ca of 1815.

So I don't seem to see what is wrong, unless it has been fixed.

Judi

Judi - I corrected it according to Heese however on his DN his mother is listed as Sophia Rosina Pieterssen the name of his wife but I think that is a mistake.

The other managers all agree as it is now the correct parents and wife.

Do you perhaps know how we can get copy of origin or source of the info in Stamboekk or Heese & Lombaard.

However someone said : just FYI you can not just make assumptions but a lot of research on GENI involve assumptions.

Phillipp, you can ask through the eGGSA and/or GSSA facebook pages.
You can also ask for Families van Suid Afrika -Heese that has a list of all SA families in the beginning.
That was available in Book form or CD, but if there are still available, I don't know. I have had mine for ages.

I do agree: correct research do not involve just assumptions, but true research.

I really don't think that Geni's policy is for people to just make assumptions. Mike and the team have been urging for sources for a long time. But the truth of life is:
"You can't control how other people do things, but you can strive to always do the correct thing in what so ever you do."

I do think you also don't just rely on assumptions. FYI☺

That is what I really try and do.

I will have a look at the sources you gave here again during the day as soon as I have tried doing my washing in this terrible rain and stormy conditions.

If I remember correctly Pieterse/Pieters/Pietersen might just be the same in some cases.

As in van SCHALKWYK, Dirkse VAN SCHALKWYk and DIRKSCHEN van SCHALKWYK all in one "huisgesin". That is my husbands grandfathers children and they all have the same father.

Spelling!!! Like with me MARAIS/MARAYS/ but they are all MARAIS. AND another my mother MARNEWICK/MARNEWECK/MANEWYK/MARNEWICK etc. All the same.

Just something to chew on in the mean time.

Have a wonderful day and week. In my beste Engles, gesê.☺

Over geset syne - Bly positef en gesond. Mooi dag.

Juid

Ja Judi stem saam
Agree with you --assumption that Marais and Marays possible same surname.
That FYI so much like another word that rhymes with duck .

I have Weyers , Weijers , Weyer , Weiher , Wyer , Weir all in my family

Today I am stuck with two Catherina Johanna Vollenhoven born 1825 to 1828 married to Casparus and Hendrik Vollenhoven -first assumed the same woman but it appears not . O FYI !!

Phillipp

Phillipp, I can just laugh at all this.

Maybe her d.o.b. is actually her baptism date and for that time in our history quite possible.

Judi

Showing all 23 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion