Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 121-150 of 159 posts

I've uploaded it to the project

Thanks Sharon

:-)
Philip, you need to link each of the charters you're interested in to the cut and paste link of the profile involved, and then point out what changes you think it demonstrates that are different to the tree created by the other charters we have so far. At a first glance, I'm seeing them confirm each other.

Sharon the current tree that you have on geni from David 7th of Clackmannan up is incorrect, so how am I supposed to work on incorrect profiles?

What I'm going to need is the tree as its given by the Chambers encyclopedia and then everything will align and make sense according to all the charters no problem, I can not work with the Wester Kennet lot as they are not the paternal line of the Bruce's.

Philip, you know you need to provide sourced proof for each change you want made. It's hard work, but that is genealogy.

You would not appreciate us allowing somebody else to make it look as they wanted it to and remove other manager's profiles without primary proof.

A large part of the Clackmannan tree is built on sources you sent us to from the Charters of Clackmannan. If these charters are incorrect, we need to have a research discussion about each one, individually.

Is THIS what you're wanting to show, Philip?

The genealogy researchers have found the marker in male line descendants of the Bruces of Clackmannan, who were related to [[Robert I the Bruce, King of Scots Robert I the Bruce, King of Scots] Robert the Bruce, King of Scots] from 1306 to 1329.

It is in the Y chromosome DNA of two different lines of descent from [[Sir Robert Bruce, 2nd Baron Clackmannan & Rate; proprietor of lands of Kennet Sir Robert Bruce, 2nd Baron Clackmannan & Rate; proprietor of lands of Kennet] Robert Bruce, 2nd Baron of Clackmannan], who lived in the second half of the 14th century.

One of the descendants who has taken a test is Rollo Bruce, a retired textile research editor from Oxfordshire.

Although there are varying theories about the exact relationship between the Bruces of Clackmannan and King Robert the Bruce, there is a consensus that it was very close. In the Register of the Great Seal for 1365, a charter of [[David II, king of Scots David II, king of Scots] King David II] confirms a grant of lands in Clackmannan to [[Sir Robert Bruce, 2nd Baron Clackmannan & Rate; proprietor of lands of Kennet Sir Robert Bruce, 2nd Baron Clackmannan & Rate; proprietor of lands of Kennet] Robert Bruce], who is described in Latin as “dilecto et fideli nostro consanguineo” (our beloved and faithful kinsman). This Robert is first mentioned in 1360 as the young heir of his father, [[Thomas Bruce, 1st Baron of Clackmannan Thomas Bruce, 1st Baron of Clackmannan] Thomas Bruce].

The genetic marker has been given the name FTB15831.

Graham Holton is Principal Tutor on Strathclyde’s Genealogical Studies Postgraduate Programme, based in the University’s Centre for Lifelong Learning. He said: “Y chromosome DNA tests taken by male line descendants of two of Robert of Clackmannan’s sons, [[Sir Robert Bruce, 3rd Baron of Clackmannan Sir Robert Bruce, 3rd Baron of Clackmannan] Robert] and Edward, show that they both carry the marker FTB15831. This means it may also have been carried by their close relative, King Robert.

“This discovery means that anyone living today who tests positive for the marker is descended from the same family as the famous King.

“Although the test takers from both lines carry FTB15831, one of them also has an additional genetic marker, indicating his descent from [[Sir Robert Bruce, 3rd Baron of Clackmannan Sir Robert Bruce, 3rd Baron of Clackmannan] Robert Bruce, 3rd Baron of Clackmannan], who died around 1405. Further research may reveal more markers for specific branches of the Bruce family. https://www.strath.ac.uk/whystrathclyde/news/2022/geneticmarkerdisc...

So you want to find a missing Edward son of Sir Robert Bruce, 2nd Baron Clackmannan & Rate; proprietor of lands of Kennet

and see what link can be found in the sources to show the kinship between Sir Robert Bruce, 2nd Baron Clackmannan & Rate; proprietor of lands of Kennet and Robert I the Bruce, King of Scots

Am I guessing correctly here?

Right now the connection is through the Stewarts:
Robert I the Bruce, King of Scots is Robert Bruce, 2nd Baron Clackmannan & Rate; proprietor of lands of Kennet's wife's second cousin twice removed:

Robert Bruce, 2nd Baron Clackmannan & Rate; proprietor of lands of Kennet
→ Isobell Stewart
his wife → Sir Robert Stewart, of Shambothy & Innermeath
her father → Sir James Stewart, of Pierston
his father → John Stewart of Bonkyl and Garlies
his father → Alexander Stewart, 4th High Steward of Scotland
his father → Margaret Stewart, Countess of Carrick
his sister → Marjorie, Countess of Carrick
her daughter → Robert I the Bruce, King of Scots
her son

By admission of that research article, the paper trail link between Robert of Clackmannan & Robert the Bruce is yet to be found by historians. Which is not the same as saying it doesn't exist - given the surname, it seems quite likely.

Hi Sharon, Im st a loss here, just can't understand why the correct numbering of the Clackmannan's is not being used!
Robert 1 the Bruce is 1st of Clackmannan, this we know, as he was doing his administration from Clackmannan. David II is second of Clackmannan and his elder brother Robert Bruce is third of Clackmannan. I need to know if this is correct according to the charters?
Can't carry on until this has been established.
Take a careful look at the date's, thanks Sharon

Sharon on the dna side of things I'm going to get to that,
On the Charters of Clackmannan, I have no problem with the Charters, just here and there the interpretation in the quotes are questionable and all the probably can only lead to misinterpretations.
Would also like to know if we are on the same page in that there are two separate families?
The family of Broase and the family of Stewart are DF27 and they are part of the Dol

Dol Clan originating from Southern Normandy, who originated from France and before that Portugal, they have the DF27 snp originating from Iberia. So the Bruce's/Brix/Bruis originated from Brix in Western Normandy and will share a source of there ancestry and according to there history the Bruce's will carry the Z381 snp, which is the Royal /Kings Cluster snp.

File Info:
Title: Rollo _from_danish_Flanders_to_Normandy_v
File Type- PDF
Path- /storage/emulated/o/Download/Rollo _from_danish_Flanders_to_Norma
Last Modified- 04-02-2023

Its a very interesting study and explains nicely who carries the Rampant Lion in there coat of arms.
The Bruce mentions are on page 43/44/68/80

/storage/emulated/0/Download/Rollo_from_danish_Flanders_to_Norma

Try and try again.

Title: Rollo, From danish Flanders to Normandy, version 2022
Author: Luc Vanbrabant, Oekene
URL: • https://www.academia. edu/72458195/ROLLO_From_danish_Flanders_to_Normandy-version_2022

Philip, I've done nothing to numbering that was there before, because you haven't specified why each profile is wrong on a Discussion with primary proof for the profile managers. If I changed other managers'/curators' profiles everytime a user told me to do it, without showing the research, I'd be doing it 4 times a year.

RE need to know if this is correct according to the charters?

So do I.
You need to make the effort of engaging with the profile's research / or absence of it - and offering your sources as better. Until you do that, I have no authority on a collaborative tree to change info just because another user tells me to.

I have said this to you already - as well as the fact that the anachronistic numbering used to help historians is a small issue to fix once you've got the profiles sourced and in place. It's not reluctance on my part; it's your unwillingness to engage in researched debate on each of the profiles where you disagree. It may be that you can't because you don't have the primary proof yet, but I am jumping through hoops to try and get it for you to use, and I'm not the one wanting it done.

So DF27 is a known Stewart snp, lets take a look at Clan Dol and the Broase's are DF27

Title: The Senechals of Dol: Histories and Mysyeries of the Stewart Clan.
Author:Jan Eylander Jackson Stewart
Source: https://www.amazon.com/Seneschals-Dol-Histories-Mysteries-Stewart/d...

Source: Britannica.com
https://www.britannica.com/topic/House-of-Stuart

RE Would also like to know if we are on the same page in that there are two separate families? The family of Broase and the family of Stewart are DF27 and they are part of the Dol

I'm not positive what you mean here? Certainly the descendants of Isobel Stewart will carry as much of her DNA as of their father,Robert - so for DNA purposes, their descendants are not two families, after their offspring.

The Bruce Y chromosone will be distinct from the Stewart one if we assume no 'non-parental events', and shared by all the Bruce men if they have the same common Bruce ancestor.

I'm assuming the DNA article is working towards proving that the Clackmannan Robert Bruce is a gateway to finding the king's Y chromosone, because they assume that the surname pattern follows the Y chromosone and Clackmannan Bruce is a genetic cousin, and not just a cousin through his wife, of King Robert. But crucially - at the time of that above article - and I assume until a paper trail descendent of King Robert matches the Clackmannan Robert Bruce descendant - they cannot prove that the charter meant genetic cousin, and not just cousin by marriage. (The latter seems the less likely, given the surname, I agree - although surnames were not only passed to biological descendants in those days)

RE So DF27 is a known Stewart snp, lets take a look at Clan Dol and the Broase's are DF27

I don't know what significance you need me to understand by this. Can you explain in more detail? Perhaps I'm being dense.

Sorry Sharon if you feel I'm confertational!
Are you saying I must work on the profile and not here?

You are saying that the dna of the Bruce's is DF27, so I'm discussing with you who the df27 families are, as we need to know this to understand this mix up of the Bruce's line.
If you would like me to carry on I'll explain what has happened. :)

i/ can download this; https://www.academia.edu/72458195/ROLLO_From_danish_Flanders_to_Nor..., but it comes without page numbers. What does it say ?

I don't think you're being confrontational, Philip - I'm just explaining to you what you need to do to get a curator to change a another manager's profile. You need to make an individually provable argument that specifies which profiles (provide links to them) are wrong, and why changing them is justified by better proof.

Well an SNP is not a whole DNA but a single mutation, as I understand it. And I could be wrong.

Is this one carried on the Ychromosone? If not, then it would be highly likely that the Bruce children descended from Isobel Stewart would have it too. Am I understanding correctly?

The question is what you want to say about it?

The paper says that the Bruce's originated from the Yngling Dynasty and its a must read if you are working on the Bruce genealogy.

Why is the Yngling Dynasty important, Philip? Help me to understand.

PS I'm dozing off here. If I go quiet, it will be involuntary, not deliberate - and I'll come back tomorrow.

We are discussing the Y chromosome carried fro m father to father, an snp is kinda like a mutation, but not quiet a mutation, will try explain. Dna is basically a history of you movement of your ancestors, dna snp's are based on location at a specific time and when your ancestor moved geographically your dna picks up another snp of the next location your ancestor moved to. Hope that helps.

Goodnight cuz

The Yngling Dynasty can pull there ancestry back to the Trojans/Spartans/Babalonians/through Biblical times and into Africa, the Bruce lineage is said to be the greatest bloodline that ever lived and following the history its off the hook.
The y dna is determined off well sourced family trees and the snp's carried by a person should match the historical records and the location, though knowing the migratory routes we can if your lineage is recorded in the annuals of time.
Being the male line of the Yngling Dynasty means its possible to trace a male to male lineage to the Gods in Ethiopia and into Sudan, its quite fascinating!
So if you are a descendant of the Yngling Dynasty you would need to be carring the DF96 snp, they did a dna study on the Boudon's who are known on paper to descend from the royal line, thats how they know snp Z381 is the royal snp. The Boudon's carry the DF98 snp and this snp migrated through the southern migratory route. The DF96 is a northerly migratory route of the royal line and according to history the Bruce's should carry the DF96 snp.
So I would say it's of historical importance and Scottish National importance the Ancestry of Robert the Bruce and all the ancestors and descendants.
Im sure this will also be of importance to King Charles as he shares ancestry with us in being a descendant of Sir Edward Bruce b. 1505.
Prince Philip is also connected to the male line, you will have to read the Rollo source.
I have the whole male line to South Sudan, there they have the names of 25 ancestors but they have messed up the cronalogical order
Im off to bed as its late.
Ps: must I go to David Bruce 6th profile as I'm sure the birth record is a good tecord, its Sir Bernard Burke who gives the record and he was considered the premiere Geneoligist of his time.

Showing 121-150 of 159 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion