Edelina De Eaton (De Stafford) - Parents

Started by Anthony V on Thursday, December 17, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing 1-30 of 38 posts

I think there is something wrong, she is listed as being older than her parents.

Agree, she’s rage wrong generation. Disconnected from Robert de Stafford

Any info to who her true parents are.

Probably an earlier Robert de Stafford. Try googling her husband. A good medieval tree with references is Cybergata.

https://mccurdyfamilylineage.com/ancestry/p3375.htm

Robert de Stafford1
M, b. circa 1107, d. 1176
Father Nicholas de Stafford b. c 1076, d. c 1138
Mother Maud Meolte of Chester
Robert de was born circa 1107 in Stafford, Staffordshire, England. The family resided at Stafford, Staffordshire, England. Robert departed this life in 1176 in Staffordshire, England.
Family
Children
Edelina de Stafford+
Robert de Stafford+ b. c 1127
Citations
[S103] Clarence E. Pearsall, History of the Pearsall Family, Volume I: Chapter 10 Robert fitz Gilbert de Corbeil, section 1 Family of Robert fitz Gilbert de Corbeil, page 182 - Robert was seated in Northumberland before the conquest in 1966. Robert de Stafford Lord was several manors near Stone Priory
Volume I: Chapter 17 Adam de Peshale, son of Adam, section 2 Ancestry of Joan de Eyton, page 529 - Robert de Eyton married Edelina de Stafford; son William witnessed a deed of conformation made by Robert de Stafford to Robert fitz Gilbert de Corbeil 1160;.

Collections for a History of Staffordshire, Volume 4.

https://books.google.com/books?id=-QEVAAAAQAAJ&lpg=RA1-PP2&...

However I do not see Edlina listed here.

Robert de Stafford

I believe her parents are unknown.

'Church Eaton: The church', in Staffordshire Historical Collections, Vol. 4, ed. George Wrottesley (London, 1883), pp. 26-38. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/staffs-hist-collection/vol4/pp26-38 [accessed 18 December 2020].

The Church of Eyton is an ancient foundation which existed in Saxon times. It was given to the Nuns of Pollesworth, in Warwickshire, towards the close of the eleventh century, or very early in the twelfth century, by Edelina, the Lady of Eyton, and confirmed, as I suppose, by her relative and chief lord, Robert de Stafford. (fn. 1)

She’s not even mentioned as the wife of Robert de Eyton

https://www.facebook.com/EatonFamilyAssociation/posts/medieval-eyto...

As noted, very little else is known of Robert de Eyton and his name is, in fact, known only from these 2 charters which bear his name:

>"The Eyton family in Shropshire is known to have controlled 7 manors in its earliest days. These were Eyton, Bratton, Horton, Buttery, half-Lawley and Sutton in Shropshire and Cresswell in Staffordshire. It should be noted that all of these manors were held by William Pantulf, 1st Baron of Wem in the Doomsday Book of 1086 and that the Eyton's were vassals of the Baron of Wem for centuries afterwards. It is the interest in Buttery which allows us to identify Robert de Eyton as the head of the family. In the reign of Henry II, Robert de Eyton gave the manor of Buttery to the Shrewsbury Abbey in a charter witnessed by Ralph Pantulf. This gift was then confirmed by Robert de Eyton's suzerain, Ivo Pantulf, 3rd Baron of Wem who states he has conceded to the monks of Shrewsbury a certain estate (unam terram) which is called Buttereia which Robert de Eitona had given to the said monks, witnesses Alured Abbot of Hageman, Ivo Chaplain, Ralph Pantulf, Walter Meverel, Roger de Bethesloua, John de Eppelei, Helias de Jai and Robert de Christianson."

>These two brief charters concerning the gift of Buttery and the confirmation of the gift are the only 2 documents we have concerning Robert de Eyton.

>Between 1225 and 1227, Robert de Eyton's son, Peter I de Eyton then confirmed the grant of Buttery to Shrewsbury Abbey.Then, in 1249, Alice de Eyton, widow of Peter I de Eyton, again renounces her rights to Botereye in favor of the Abbot of Shrewsbury. The importance of these confirming deeds is that they firmly attach the original grantor of Buttery as an ancestor of the better documented lords of Eyton.

Her brother was Robert the Butler.

Was she a daughter of an Edelina m Hamo who died 1166?

—-

“St Edith of Polesworth and her cult“ by NIGEL TRINGHAM Keele University and VCH Staffordshire.Link

Polesworth abbey was certainly the means by which Church Eaton church in the west of Staffordshire was dedicated to St Edith, following the grant of the church by one Edelina, a relation of the manorial overlord, Robert de Stafford, who in his confirmation noted that she had wished to become a nun (vitam mutare et habitum religionis assumere querit vel intendit). Either the Edelina whose son Hamo (d. by 1166) inherited the manor or a daughter of the same name, she must have been the Edelina whose brother Robert the butler gave the Polesworth nuns some land on condition that they celebrated anniversaries for the souls of ‘her lord’ Walter de Somerville (a close companion of Robert Marmion) and (his son) Roger. Edelina was to be buried at Polesworth, the nuns having promised that when she died they would carry her body to their house (ad domum suam) and honourably bury her with due exequies in their cloister (in claustro).

https://eprints.keele.ac.uk/5974/1/St%20Edith%20of%20Polesworth%20(...

I don’t think Edelina was the wife of Robert de Eyton at all.

Evidence?

Edelina le Boteler was the sister of Matilda le Boteler, the wife of Roger de Somerville. Both Edelina and Matilda were the daughters of Robert le Boteler and Ivetta Helgot

see:
https://www.google.com/books/edition/A_History_of_the_Parish_of_Tat....

to wit:

From the History of the Parish of Tatenhill-

"He married Matilda (not Edelina, as given in Dugdale's Pedigree), the daughter of Robert Pincerna, the hereditary butler of the Earls of Chester. The chartulary of Dieulacres Abbey contains the following deed, No 86 (S.C.,IX,N.S.,333):

Omnibus etc. Matilda Pincerna salutem. Noveritis me dedisse Monachis de Pulton pro Salute Animae meae et Rogeri de Somerville sponsi mei et Rogeri de Somerville, filii mei v. solidos etc. in puram et perpetuam eleemosinam. Among the witnesses are Robertus de Wychnore and Radulphus Grim. Deed No 91 is a confirmation by Roger de Somerville of the grant of a garden at the bridge head, Chester, and No 73 charter mentions dominum Matildie de Somerville.

Translation:

to all etc Matilda the butler, greeting. You will know that I gave to the monks of Poulton for the safety of my soul and to Roger of Somerville my spouse and to Roger of Somerville, my son solidi etc. to pure and perpetual alms. Among the witnesses are Robertus de Wychnore and Radulphus Grim. Deed No 91 is a confirmation by Roger de Somerville of the grant of a garden at the bridge head, Chester, and No 73 charter mentions dominum Matildie de Somerville.

The following deed is among the Dugdale MSS. in the Bodleian Library:

Sciant etc.: quod ego Rogerus de Somerville filius Walteri de Somerville dedi etc.Abbataie de Poleswords unam virgatam terrae in Sirascote quom tenuit Ernewi. Tenendam liberam et quietam et in puram et perpetuam eleemosinam pro anima patris mei Walteri de Somerville et pro anima matris mea Cecilie, et pro animabus antecessorum meorum et pro anima Mea et uxoris mee et pro heredum meorum animabus. His testibus, Robert Marmion, de Galfrido Marmion, Roberto de Somerville (his brother), Walter Cuchum, (Curzon), Nicholao de Gresle, Willelmo de Ridewae, Toma de Rogeri de Somerville, Ricardo filio Rogeri de Somerville, Radulphi filii Hugonus de Gresle, Ricardo de Curchum, Rogero de Rideware et multis aliis.

Translation:

Let them know etc.: that I, Roger of Somerville, son of Walter de Somerville, gave etc.Abbataie of Poleswords one virgate of land in Sirascote when Ernewi held it. To hold free and quiet and pure and perpetual alms for the soul of my father Walter de Somerville and for the soul of my mother Cicely, and for the souls of my ancestors and for the soul of my wife and the souls of my heirs. Witnesses: Robert Marmion, Geoffrey de Marmion, Robert de Somerville (his brother), Walter Cuchum (Curzon), Nicholas de Gresle, William de Ridewa, Toma of Roger de Somerville, Richard son of Roger de Somerville, Ralph son of Hugh de Gresle Richard de Curchum, Roger de Rideware and many others.

The seal bears an equestrian figure brandishing a sword, and the probable date from the names of witnesses is about 1166.

posted by Sharon Richards

Sharon Elizabeth Richards - great find. Did Edelina le Boteler marry Gripp

Steven Mitchell Ferry - so who did Edelina marry and was she really a Boteler also? Page 42 seems to have her as unknown parents

https://archive.org/details/cu31924017858899/page/n44/mode/1up?view...

And I’m not understanding which Somerville she married - is it two generations earlier?

www.geni.com/media/proxy?media_id=6000000185913922857&size=large

Gen 3. Roger (son of Walter, 1166) married Matilda Pincera.

Gen 2. Walter, 1166 was son of Roger.

Gen 1. Roger was son of Walter, 1086, who married Edelina, who married Grip 2nd.

@Erica Howton - I actullay have Matilda and Edelina as the same woman, but not the Edelina who married Walter S and Grip as you show from The History of the Parish af Tatenhill. She was the daughter of Ivetta Helgot and Robert Pincerna (le Boteler,) and wife of Sir Roger I de Somerville (3rd Lord od Whichenour. She was the mother of Sir Roger II, 4th Lord of Whichenour. You already have above the site for Dugdale in the matter, but I also cite Memorie of the Somervilles ( https://archive.org/details/memorieofsomerv11815some/page/24/mode/1up ) and Remains, historical & literary, connected with the palatine counties of Lancaster and Chester ( https://archive.org/details/remainshistorica86chetuoft/page/30/mode... ), but the latter is only citing the Dugdale work.

Oh, and it seems like Roger de Sommerville and Roger de Gondeville are one and the same.

It looks like Edelina was a mistranslation of Matilda.

Omnibus etc. Omnibus etc. Matilda Pincerna salutem. Noveritis me dedisse Monachis de Pulton pro Salute Animae meae et Rogeri de Somerville sponsi mei et Rogeri de Somerville, filii mei v. solidos etc. in puram et perpetuam eleemosinam.

Among the witnesses are Robertus de Wychnore and Radulphus Grim. Deed No 91 is a confirmation by Roger de Somerville of the grant of a garden at the bridge head, Chester, and No 73 charter mentions dominum Matildie de Somerville.

—-

Which Roger was also known as “Roger de Gondeville”?

Erica Howton See "Remains, Historical & Literary, connected to ...Chester" , pg 29 { https://archive.org/details/remainshistorica86chetuoft/page/28/mode... } and following to pg 30. Matilda Pincerna (child # 7) married Roger de Gondeville "whom she calls de Somerville." Then we have Edelina (Child # 8) married to Roger de Somerville (Roger I, 3rd Lord Whichnour.)

But the later author disagrees with Dugdale, yes?

From the History of the Parish of Tatenhill-

"He married Matilda (not Edelina, as given in Dugdale's Pedigree), the daughter of Robert Pincerna, the hereditary butler of the Earls of Chester. The chartulary of Dieulacres Abbey contains the following deed, No 86 (S.C.,IX,N.S.,333):

The group soc.Gen.medieval has the Dugdale pedigree.

This is from Wm. Beamont: Annals of the Lords of Warrington; https://archive.org/details/annalslordswarr01beamgoog/page/n78/mode... :

"Roger seems to have been a common name in the family, A Roger de Somery was fined for not taking up his knighthood in 17 Henry III. (Rot. Fin., $>"■) On the ist May, 12 Ed- ward III. (1338), in pursuance of the surplus caution often observed in times past, sir John Summerville released to the abbot of Dieu la cressc the services the abbot was wont to render for the manor of Pulton. (From the original in the mar- quis of Westminster's possession.) After all, it seems very probable that Roger dc Gondeville and Roger de Summerville were one and the same person, and that Matilda and Edelina. their respective wives, were one and the same person."

Reprinted in Remains, Historical & Literary, etc, that I posted above. I knew that I had seen the suggestion that Edelina and Matilda were one and the same, as were Roger de Somervill (Summerville) and Roger de Gondeson. I just couldn't find it, and was looking for some misplaced article, or thinking I came to it on my own.

After all, it seems very probable that Roger dc Gondeville and Roger de Summerville were one and the same person, and that Matilda and Edelina. their respective wives, were one and the same person."

Yes! I had seen it before also, and didn’t cite it clearly.

I have seen descendants becoming their own ancestors in pedigrees, and I think that’s what happened in the Dugdale version.

I don’t know if Sir Reginald Hardy’s version in 1907 is perfect - placing Edelina 3 gens up the tree - but the Latín charter clearly names herself Matilda “Pincera”, wife of Roger de Somerville, and seems more plausible than 2 sisters married to aliases for the same man.

I would say that Hardy is conflating two separate Edelina(s). You'll note his hedging when he says the first Edelina MAY have married the first Walter, then left as a widow to marry Grip. (p. 42.)

So I’m trying to locate the charters Dugdale referred to, to see if there were both an Edelina and a Matilda donating lands to the abbey at Polesworth, and also, why.

Here’s a summary of a recent (2020) article on the abbey:

https://blog.history.ac.uk/2020/07/polesworth-abbey-warws-and-the-m...

“ Almost inevitably, more work needs to be done, including an edition of the Polesworth charters, which don’t seem to have been used by historians of female monastic houses.”

And need to look for The chartulary of Dieulacres Abbey contains the following deed, No 86 (S.C.,IX,N.S.,333):

G C Baugh, W L Cowie, J C Dickinson, Duggan A P, A K B Evans, R H Evans, Una C Hannam, P Heath, D A Johnson, Hilda Johnstone, Ann J Kettle, J L Kirby, R Mansfield and A Saltman, 'Houses of Cistercian monks: The abbey of Dieulacres', in A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 3, ed. M W Greenslade and R B Pugh (London, 1970), pp. 230-235. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/staffs/vol3/pp230-235 [accessed 9 July 2022].

The Cistercian abbey of Dieulacres beside the Churnet a mile north of Leek was founded in 1214 by Ranulph de Blundeville, Earl of Chester, possibly on the site of a former hermitage. ….

…. Some rights of patronage were evidently claimed by the family of Robert the Butler. William of Measham, Robert's grandson, opposed the move from Poulton, and his agreement was not secured until some 25 years later. About the same time, in 1241, he remitted (for 16 marks) the 20s. rent which the monks had been paying for Poulton, and he also gave his body for burial at Dieulacres. (fn. 12)

—-

https://archive.org/details/collectionsforhi94staf/page/n16/mode/1u...

Dieulacres, an abbey of the Cistercian order, was founded in the reign of King John by Ralph de Blundeville, Earl of Chester, who translated to it the monks of * Poulton in Chester. The latter were a Benedictine brotherhood founded in the reign of Henry I. by Robert the hereditary Butler or Pincerna of the Earls of Chester. …

https://archive.org/details/collectionsforhi94staf/page/330/mode/1u... Page 330

handwritten comments noting differences to Dugdale’s Omn. Il page 862.

Signers include Robertus Pincerna, Robertus filius ejus, Ivete uxoris ejus.

Showing 1-30 of 38 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion