Eustace III, count of Boulogne - Lineage of Mathilde de Boulogne

Started by Nikolaus Jan Triplett Groenewold on Wednesday, December 9, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 5 posts
12/9/2020 at 4:33 PM

There seems to be something wrong with the family here, Mathilde de Blois, Queen consort of England, comtessa de Boulogne is my 29th GG, but her father here, Eustace III, count of Boulogne is listed as my uncle. I am not sure where the problem is, but I would very much appreciate it being sorted out. Especially considering this family led the First Crusade.

Private User
12/9/2020 at 5:31 PM

Hi Nikolaus, this is something that happens sometimes when we are descended from two or more siblings from the same family. Here, like me you are also descended from the brother of Eustace III, Godefroy IV de Bouillon / Duc de Basse - Lotharinge & Advocate of the Holy Sepulchre

"Nikolaus Jan Triplett Groenewold is Godfrey de Boulogne's 27th great grandson."

Private User
12/9/2020 at 5:33 PM

So technically he is your uncle and also your g-grandfather. But the relationship calculator isn't programmed to show all possible relationships. It only shows one blood relationship + one in-law relationship.

Private User
12/9/2020 at 5:43 PM

Evidently the reason it defaulted to Godfrey is because there are fewer generations between, because the calculator is programmed to default to the shortest connection.

At times I have been able to 'trick'/outsmart the calculator into showing me the blood connection to such profiles where there is multiple descent from the same family group. But it's kind of tedious, time-consuming work involving dancing around nearby profiles and I can never figure out or remember how I got it to work.

Bottom line is, with any g-grandparent it stands to logical reason that their parents are also you grandparents. Even when the calculator fails to provide reassurance. :)

12/11/2020 at 6:56 AM

Private User Thank you, I assumed that as one of the possibilities here. It is frustrating that it doesn't default to a direct ancestor in these situations, defaulting to an uncle over gg seems like an odd choice. It seems like there should be a way to add a note of multiple lines of decent.

I appreciate the response Private User

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion