Chaya Brana Babad (Breitman) - How do we resolve this conflict?

Started by Claudia Bullock on Saturday, December 5, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 10 posts

I'm not sure what to do about the conflict on this profile, which is for G13.2 R. Moses Babad's first wife, Chaya Brana, from Chapter 11, page 205 of the "The Unbroken Chain":

According to "The Unbroken Chain", Chaya Brana Babad is the sister of R. Meir Shapiro's wife (Malke Toba Schapiro), and she is also the daughter of Lazar Brytman, however, in Geni, we have Meir Shapiro's wife as the daughter of Duvid Yakov Breitman

If these two women are sisters, with the same maiden name, i.e. Brytman/Breitman, then they should have the same father, but the given names of the two fathers sound a bit different. Do you think they are both the same man?

What do you think we should do about this conflict?

Private User, Kevin Lawrence Hanit

Thanks,
Claudia

Private User,

You were tagged here as I believe that you may know more than I do.

Kevin

From a quick scan through the JewishGen record indexes it seems to me that there are several mistakes here.

1) It's unlikely for Chaya Brana to have been the daughter of Jakob Brytman because there already is a daughter called Chaje Gittel Arak. (Chaya Brana was still alive after 1886, long after Chaje Gittel was already born).

2) Moses Babad is recorded to have married Chaje Breina SEIDMAN not Brytman, (although she may have really been a Brytman but was recorded with her mother's name...)

3) In 1885, Jakob Brytman married Esther Seidman, the daughter of Lazar and Schäwe SEIDMAN.

It seems to me that Moses Babad married Chaya Brana a daughter of Lazar Seidman. Another daughter married Jakob Brytman, meaning Moses Babad and Jakob Brytman were brothers-in-law. Moses was born in 1860 (if not earlier), and Jakob, judging by his recorded age of 36 in 1885 was born in 1849, another reason why it's unlikely that Jakob was his father-in-law.

A couple of issues remain. 1) The 1885 record of Jakob and Esther's marriage is many years after our Jakob and Esther had children. This will have to be explained as just a record of an earlier marriage. (A similar explanation has to be given to the same issue with the Arak Brytman marriage, check the records...). 2) The 1885 record gives Jakob's father as Abraham, that doesn't fit with the current Geni view, although TBH I don't know where that comes from.

Claudia Bullock,

Can you make the necessary changes.

Kevin

Kevin Lawrence Hanit,

I will make the changes.

Thanks.

Claudia

Private User and Kevin Lawrence Hanit,

I've gone ahead and made the necessary changes, which now result in R' Moses Babad, A.B.D. Lvov and Duvid Yakov Breitman being brothers-in-law. However... I'm still showing Meir Shapiro's wife, Malke Toba Schapiro as the daughter of Duvid Yakov Breitman and Rivka Esther Devorah Breitman (daughter of Lazer Breitman and Schawe Seidman), which means that Malke Toba Schapiro would be a niece to Chaya Brana Babad rather than a sister. Although "The Unbroken Chain" states that Chaya Brana and Malke Toba were sisters, I am thinking that it may actually make more sense for Chaya Brana to have been Malke Toba's aunt, as I suspect they may have been a generation apart in age. According to "The Unbroken Chain" Chaya Brana's husband Moses Babad was born about 1858, while Malka Toba's husband, Meir Schapiro was born in 1887.

So... I'm inclined to leave Malke Toba Schapiro where she is, as a daughter Duvid Yakov Breitmanof rather than to add her as another daughter of
Lazar Seidman

Let me know what you think.

One last question. What do you think we should do about the father of Duvid Yakov Breitman

Do you want me to disconnect the current father, and change it to Abraham?

Claudia

Claudia Bullock that's exactly what I meant, sorry if I wasn't clear. Malka Toba was certainly a daughter of Jakob Brytman, I was indeed suggesting that Chaya Brana was her aunt.
I'm not sure for the moment what to do with Jakob's parents.

Private User,

Thanks!

Claudia

This blog (in Yiddish) seems to be the 'source' for Jakob's father - http://ftp.ivelt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5788&start=75. I don't think it's that reliable. I'd recommend disconnecting the current father (and sibling) and adding parents Abraham and Golde Breitman.

Private User and Kevin Lawrence Hanit,

Actually, I just found a different source which says that Yosef Breitman of Tarnopol was the father of Jacob David Breitman.

In Volume 3 of "The Unbroken Chain" on page 220, Yosef Breitman is first mentioned as follows:

G14 R. Efraim Zalman Lifson of Kamionka (Kamenka) born about 1860, married Sarah, daughter of Yosef Breitman of Tarnopol.

Then, there is a footnote for Yosef Breitman of Tarnopol that reads as follows:

Yosef's son was Jacob David Breitman, a noted philanthropist of Tarnopol, father of Malka Tova who married R Meir Judah Shapiro 1887-1933, Rosh Yeshiva of Chachamet Lublin Yeshiva and founder of the daily learning of the Talmud known as Daf Yomi (see the periodical Machzikei Hadot, February 24, 1911, 6). Wunder, 1, 580 states that David Jacob was the son of Fischel Breitman of Kamenets.

Let me know what you think. Thanks,

Claudia

Showing all 10 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion