Sir David Bruce, 6th Baron of Clackmannan & Rate - wrong parents

Started by sandra regner on Saturday, December 5, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 202 posts

Ok so No. 25.- 17 May 1495 can we agree that Agnes Redbeugh is the wife of David 6th and mother of David 7th?

Sharon when you mention Robert Bruce 2nd Baron of Clackmannan, is this the Robert Bruce married to Annabelle Rachel Scrymgeour?

Ok so No. 25.- 17 May 1495 can we agree that Agnes Redbeugh is the wife of David 6th and mother of David 7th?

No, as I pointed out earlier - she's very clearly not:
No. 25 — 17th May, 1495 Inquest in virtue of precept from King James IV., holden at Kennet by Sir William Monteith, Sheriff of Clackmannan, at the complaint of Agnes Redheugh, spouse of the deceased David Bruce of Kennet

David Bruce
Residents Place: Kennet
Notes: David Bruce, of Kennet, who wedded Agnes Redhach and had a son, David his heir. This David his heir. This Laird d. In the beginning of James the fourths reign, as appears by a perambulation of the marches, wherein is mentioned Agnes Redhach, relict of deceased David Bruce of Kennet, dated 17 May 1496, His son and heir.

Is David Bruce 7th father David Bruce 6th and mother Agnes Redhach?

Sharon when you mention Robert Bruce 2nd Baron of Clackmannan, is this the Robert Bruce married to Annabelle Rachel Scrymgeour?

Sir Robert Bruce, 2nd Baron Clackmannan & Rate; proprietor of lands of Kennet (<1348 - c1389)
cousin/nephew to King David
x Isabel Stewart

• Sir Robert, who succeeded
  • James, Chancellor of the Kingdom

Why are you saying she is not?
You seem convinced David Bruce of Wester Kennet and his two wives Janet Stirling and Margaret Harries are why?

Private User I think I got tagged for this discussion because a number of direct ancestors are cited.

Philip, maybe you missed it from this morning, but Sharon does NOT agree with you about Agnes Redbeugh. (I copied her comment below) Also, see how in her original post, she has links to the specific profiles? That would help follow who you are referring to. All of these people are going to have same/similar names and have same/similar named close relatives and spouses, so it is important to link to the specific profiles. If you don't know how, the easiest way is to go to the main profile page, and then copy the webpage header and paste it in your reply. It will give the link. Remember, though, that if you copy it (like I did below), the links go away. This is especially important when figuring out exactly what to do to "fix" the tree. There might be duplicates, or mistaken identities, or just wrong info.. since GENI is a dynamic database (constantly changing), how one 'fixes' profile relationships depends a great deal on who else is already in the tree, and where, and who is missing.

For example, a wrong person, can be 'fixed' by just changing the info in their profile and keep them where they are... OR maybe there are fewer profiles involved and fewer steps to unlink someone and move them to where they need to be and then creating a new profile where they used to be. OR creating the new profile where they need to be, and then editing the profile that gets left behind.

The problem is easy to resolve once you know exactly what to do to whom. The 'fix' is not only putting the correct people in the tree in their correct family groups... BUT ALSO what do you do with the profile position that they used to occupy? Does someone new need to be created? or someone already existing needs to move? etc.?

>>>>>Agnes Redheugh is not married to married to "Old David Bruce 6th", but to David Bruce, of Wester Kennet , [who is a descent of Thomas Bruce, of Wester Kennet a different son of Robert Bruce, 3rd Baron of Clackmannan than the son who inherits Clackmannan: David Bruce, Baron of Clackmannan

Sir Sir Robert Bruce, 3rd Baron of Clackmannan succeeded <1389 - d<1406
s/o Robert Bruce & Isobell Stewart
x NN mistress

• Thomas

x daughter of Scrimgeour

• David, who succeeded.
  • Alexander of Stanehous and Airth

Thanks Dean.

Philip - No. 25 — 17th May, 1495 specifies that she's the spouse of David Bruce of Kennet.

Sorry I'm not getting why she is definitely not,
can you explain please.

David Bruce Residents Place: Kennet Notes: David Bruce, of Kennet, who wedded Agnes Redhach and had a son, David his heir. This David his heir. This Laird d. In the beginning of James the fourths reign, as appears by a perambulation of the marches, wherein is mentioned Agnes Redhach, relict of deceased David Bruce of Kennet, dated 17 May 1496, His son and heir. Is David Bruce 7th father David Bruce 6th and mother Agnes Redhach?

No, the Barons during this phase are of Clackmannan - and The Bruces of Kennet are different men

We know she isn't because the 1495 Charter clearly names her as the spouse of David Bruce of Kennet.

Hi Dean thanks for the guidance.
Still I can't get my head around why you two don't think Agnes Redhach is the spouse of David 6th.
And you will have to explain Thomas of Wester Kennet being the father, I'm at a loss here.

Sharon look at the death date, they are talking about David 6th

Maybe you aren't already doing this, but the relationship in family groups is much easier to figure out if you see everything in Horizontal Tree View. You get there by going to the main profile page and click View Tree. If you see parent,child,parent, child, etc as a ladder,,, go lower right and click on the Horizontal Tree View and you can see the parents with siblings and cousins together. etc

Sharon Doubell Private User
this is the existing geni profile for David Bruce 6th, father of 7th, 6th's wife, Mariot/Marion, was the mother of David 7th.

David 7th
Sir David Bruce, 7th Baron Of Clackmannan

His Parents as they are now in the Geni Tree
Mariot "Marion" Herries
Sir David Bruce, 6th Baron of Clackmannan & Rate

Here is Agnes Redhach
Agnes Redheugh
and her husband David Bruce of Wester Kennet
David Bruce, of Wester Kennet (snr)
their son David is just a normal guy

The David Bruce husbands are 2nd cousins, once removed to each other.
Sir David Bruce, 6th Baron of Clackmannan & Rate is Agnes Redheugh's husband's second cousin once removed.
Agnes Redheugh
→ David Bruce, of Wester Kennet
her husband → NN son of Peter & father of David Bruce, of Wester Kennet
his father → Peter Bruce, of Wester Kennet
his father → Thomas Bruce, of Wester Kennet
his father → Robert Bruce, 3rd Baron of Clackmannan
his father → David Bruce, Baron of Clackmannan
his son → John Bruce, Baron of Clackmannan
his son → Sir David Bruce, 6th Baron of Clackmannan & Rate
his foster son

Is David married to Margaret Harris of Wester Kennet or Clackmannan?

No I'm sorry I disagree, in the death record it state's that he is Laird.

They are not the same death date.

Agnes is a widow in 1495

Sir David Bruce, 6th Baron of Clackmannan & Rate is alive and well in 1497, and passing on his estate to his son, as long as he and his wife Margeret Harries (who is mentioned by name as his wife) have a liferent.

No. 26 — 14rh Septr., 1497— Crown Charter of Resignation by King James IV., to David Bruce, son of David Bruce of Clackmannan of the lands and Barony of Clackmannan, lying in the County thereof, and lands of Rate, lying in the county of Perth, proceeding on the resignation of the said David Bruce, elder. To be holden by the King and his successors, under the burden of the liferent of the said David Bruce, elder, and Margeret Harries, his wife.

His foster son?

The death record says he died 1496, this David who died in 1506 married to Harris, he is of Wester Kennet and he is not David 6th

Philip, it's after midnight, so I'm off to bed. You need proof of that death date. Where is it?

Please actually read the Charters on the project, and my posts. He isn't of Wester Kennet. He's resigning Clackmannan to his son.

No. 26 — 14rh Septr., 1497— Crown Charter of Resignation by King James IV., to David Bruce, son of David Bruce of Clackmannan of the lands and Barony of Clackmannan, lying in the County thereof, and lands of Rate, lying in the county of Perth, proceeding on the resignation of the said David Bruce, elder. To be holden by the King and his successors, under the burden of the liferent of the said David Bruce, elder, and Margeret Harries, his wife.

No Robert Bruce is actually of Clackmannan and Rate and is the son of David 7th and Blackadder and Edward Bruce b.1505 is his son. I'll continue in the morning.
Thanks Dean and Sharon

Just one thing they say David 6th was still alive?and consented to this! I'll give you the link to old David's death record in the morning. I've got documents that I won't to share with you and I promise you, you are going to have a different perspective.
Goodnight and thank you

There is no Charter showing Robert Bruce, of Rait inheriting Clackmannan, only of Rait. His father was alive and still Baron of Clackmannan.

David Bruce of Rait the grandson of Sir David Bruce, 6th Baron of Clackmannan & Rate inherits Rait after his dead father Robert Bruce, of Rait, which the King ratifies in 1506 (presumably on Old David 6th's death)- see above Charter, or No 27 on project.

At the same time, in 1506, the king also ratifies the right of Old David 6ths other son, Sir David Bruce, 7th Baron Of Clackmannan (who has been Baron of Clackmannan since 1497 - see Charter above, or No 26 on project) to Clackmannan.

Just one thing they say David 6th was still alive?and consented to this!

See https://www.geni.com/discussions/222593?msg=1626110. I'm not saying it - the Charter says it clearly.

And you will have to explain Thomas of Wester Kennet being the father, I'm at a loss here.

Thomas Bruce, 1st of Wester Kennet, Pitfoulden and Cruicket. (<1389 - >1399)
Son of Robert Bruce, Baron Clackmannan & Rate; proprietor of lands of Kennet & NN mistress

From the Charters of Clackmannen

No. 9 - 2 May 1389 -Thomas obtains Kennet from his father .— Charter of Robert de Bruys of Clackmannan and Rate to and in favour of Thomas de Bruys, his son, whereby " for good services" he grants the said Thomas the lands of Wester Kennet and others for payment to his said father of a silver penny yearly.

No. 10 - 4th Oct., 1393 — Crown Charter of Resignation by King Robert III., proceeding on the Rocuratory of Resignation of Robert de Bruys, whereby the King new grants the lands and Barony of Clackmannan, and all the pertinents, to Robert de Bruys, whom failing, to David Bruys, his eldest son, and the heirs male, procreated or to be procreated, of his body, whom failing, to Thomas Bruys, also his son, and the heirs male of his body, to be held of the King and his successors in fee and heritage.

By this Charter, Sir Robert Bruce, 3rd Baron of Clackmannan had gone through the ceremony of resigning or giving them back to the King during his life, and the King then made a new grant of them to him, and his two sons, and their heirs male.

No. 11 - 10th June, 1393 — Charter by Robert de Bruys, Lord of Rate and Clackmannan, to his " beloved son, Thomas de Bruys," and his heirs, and assigns of an annualent of ten merks, payable furth off his lands of Tullygarth, lying in the county of Clackmannan, and that in consideration of a certain sum of money paid to him, the said Robert de Bruys, in his urgent necessity. To be holden of the said Robert de Bruys and his heirs redeemable on payment of the sum of 25 merks.

No. 12 - 18th February, 1399 — Crown Charter of Resignation and Confirmation by King Robert III., ratifying and confirming the Charter No. 9, granted by Robert de Bruys to his son, Thomas, of the lands of Wester Kennet, Pitfoulden, and the Cruikitland, all lying in the county of Clackmannan. From this time the estate of Kennet con- tinued separate from that of Clackmannan, and although the families continued on the most intimate terms, and the heiress of Kennet, in 1568, married one of the cadets of Clackmannan, the estates have never been united. https://archive.org/stream/collectionstowar1868clac/collectionstowa...

a1 Sir Robert Bruce, 2nd Baron Clackmannan & Rate; proprietor of lands of Kennet & Isobell Stewart

a1b1 Sir Robert Bruce, 3rd Baron of Clackmannan <1389 - d<1406
x NN mistress

a1b1c1 Thomas Bruce, 1st of Wester Kennet, Pitfoulden and Cruicket.

a1b1c1d1 [[Peter Bruce, of Kennet Peter Bruce, of Kennet] Peter or Patrick de Bruys of Wester Kennet]

xx Annabelle Scrymgeour

a1b1c2 Sir David Bruce, 4th Baron of Clackmannan who succeeded.
a1b1c3 Alexander of Stanehous and Airth

Peter Bruce, of Kennet
Succeeds his father, Thomas in or before 1423
Succeeded by his grandson, David Bruce, in or before 1447.

From the Charters of Clackmannan

No 16 - 22d Dec, 1447 — Discharged by John de Bruce of Clackmannan to his eldest cousin, David, the Bruce of the Kennet, of the sum of 50 merks money of Scotland, addebted to the said John the Bruce, by Peter the Bruce, grandfather of the above-mentioned David.
ie Discharged by Sir John Bruce, 5th Baron of Clackmannan & Rait to his eldest cousin, David Bruce, of Wester Kennet (snr) of the sum of 50 merks money of Scotland, addebted to the said John the Bruce, by Peter Bruce, of Kennet, grandfather of the above-mentioned David.

So:

a1 Sir Robert Bruce, 2nd Baron Clackmannan & Rate; proprietor of lands of Kennet & Isobell Stewart

a1b1 Sir Robert Bruce, 3rd Baron of Clackmannan <1389 - d<1406
x NN mistress

a1b1c1 Thomas Bruce, 1st of Wester Kennet, Pitfoulden and Cruicket.

a1b1c1d1 [[Peter Bruce, of Kennet Peter Bruce, of Kennet] Peter or Patrick de Bruys of Wester Kennet]

a1b1c1d1e1 Unknown parent dies before father

a1b1c1d1e1f1 David Bruce, of Wester Kennet (snr) x Agnes Redheugh

xx Annabelle Scrymgeour

a1b1c2 Sir David Bruce, 4th Baron of Clackmannan who succeeded.

a1b1c2d1 Sir John Bruce, 5th Baron of Clackmannan & Rait

a1b1c3 Alexander of Stanehous and Airth

Showing 31-60 of 202 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion