Thomas Bruce, 1st Baron Clackmannan - Sources?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Friday, December 4, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 14 posts
12/4/2020 at 8:29 AM

Private User says of Thomas Bruce, 1st Baron of Clackmannan:
Edward Thomas Bruce didn't like the name Edward so he styled himself Thomas.Can not find one record whatsoever of King Edward of Ireland having a son, however have records of Edward Bruce being the son of Robert Bruce of Clackmannan (Chamber's Encyclopaedia)this Robert Bruce of Clackmannan father according to the record is Robert the Bruce king of Scotland.please let's follow the records and let's sort this mess up,thank you

12/4/2020 at 8:33 AM

He also says: Have a question: If Thomas is Edwards son would he not be Earl of Garrick or King of Ireland?.....Im having great difficulties in linking Thomas to Edward .My first concern is Thomas would be from Garrick or would be king of Ireland,just can't find any records or anything .Now if Thomas was Edward mentioned in the Chamber's encyclopaedia then we have an idea who Thomas is.In the Chamber's encyclopaedia of the Bruce's of Clackmannan it's as follows: Robert the Bruce King of Scotland-Robert Bruce of Clackmannan!-Edward Bruce......this Edward Bruce did not like his name (understandably) and he chose Thomas which leads me to believe that Edward is Thomas Bruce 1st Baron of Clackmannan.Thank you so much for your time and would appreciate your input.

12/4/2020 at 8:37 AM

Private User, Cawley tentatively places him as a possible second illegitimate son - pointing, himself, to a complete lack of sources for this - so it's not surprising you can't find any: http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/SCOTLAND.htm#RobertIdied1329A

12/4/2020 at 8:43 AM

The Title of Earl went to the older brother: Alexander Bruce, Earl of Carrick

Doesn't the father lose the High Kingship?

12/4/2020 at 9:19 AM
Private User
12/4/2020 at 11:50 AM

The Nicholls-Bruce lineage:King Robert the Bruce, has Roberts death at 1334.Robert Bruce of Clackmannan, has Roberts death at 1367.Sir Edward Bruce

Private User
12/4/2020 at 12:17 PM

Chamber's Encyclopaedia runs the line as follows:Robert Bruce d 1304, Robert Bruce b.21 March 1274- King of Scotland 27 March 1306 (crowned Scone) d.7 June 1329, Robert Bruce d.1367,Sir Edward Bruce,Sir Robert Bruce, Sir David Bruce , David Bruce d.1497, Edward Bruce d.1563, Robert Bruce, George Bruce of Carnock

12/4/2020 at 1:35 PM

Interesting. As to Sharon's questtion -- there was no High King at the time that Edward became High King, if one accepts that; he held it for either two or three years, depending on when you are counting from, and then there wasn't any High King any more. It was a pretty brief resurrection of the title.

Thomas Bruce, 1st Baron of Clackmannan, was clearly a Bruce of some importance in the line, but whose son he was we do not know.

I like how startled I was to hear there had even BEEN a King Edward of Ireland. Especially since we recently did a podcast on Robert and the death of John Comyn, so you'd think I would have noticed. I knew Edward had gone to attempt to rule Ireland, but I hadn't ever thought of him as High King. But he did, as did come of the Irish, so there's that. lol.

Private User
12/4/2020 at 4:44 PM

I just wonder while discussing king Edward Bruce who died in 1318 in Ireland at war would have had time to make a baby in Scotland as Thomas's birth is set at 1318 in Scotland?
Thomas and Edward are the same person,same birth date,same wife Helen Vixpont, both 1st Baron of Clackmannan,same children.....am I missing something here

Private User
12/4/2020 at 5:00 PM

Oops sorry Lady Marjorie Stenhouse Chartaris is the wife of Edward "Thomas"Bruce and Helen Vieuxpont is the mother.

12/4/2020 at 8:31 PM

:-)

12/4/2020 at 8:32 PM

Anne, I also did a double-take.

Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion