John Andrews, I, of Farmington - Mary Barnes Witch Hanging

Started by Jamie on Wednesday, December 2, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 8 posts
12/2/2020 at 10:25 AM

Interesting article about Mary Barnes accused of witchcraft. Her husband Thomas Barnes later marries John Andrews daughter.

https://digitalfarmington.org/digital-farmington-project/mary-barne...

12/2/2020 at 10:57 AM

A nice presentation, thank you.

Tagging the family - ‘Goodman’ Thomas Barnes & Mary Barnes & Thomas’ 2nd wife, Mary Bronson

Private User
12/2/2020 at 12:23 PM

One word of caution: the posts written on that site are authored by undergraduate students as a homework assignment, and sometimes their veracity is questioned. (Note the contentious comments section!) As always, verify with documents.

12/2/2020 at 12:58 PM

Agree to use multiple resources because there are different stories and conclusions in multiple websites so documents need to be verified. I am a direct descendent of John Andrews, I of Farmington, and Mary Andrews who are my 9th Great Grandparent. My mother's maiden name is Barnes but not related to Thomas Barnes that his wife, Mary was hanged as a witch. I would like to add a note that there were several marriages within the families of Farmington and Hartford for many generations, as I have surnames Upson, Root, and Bronson all in the Barnes branch of my family tree.

Private User
12/2/2020 at 1:03 PM

There were also distinct Barnes families in the Hartford, New London, and New Haven settlements who are regularly confused. Same as with the Hubbards of Hartford vs. the Hubbards of Middletown.

12/4/2020 at 12:55 PM

I thought it was an interesting article. I am no genealogist, just a hobbyist. I would love to find resources, but I am still learning how to go about finding good sources.

I believe I am also descended from John Andrews, my 10th grandfather from what I can interpret from Y-DNA. I was not aware he was a constable for a time. I found it noteworthy that the wife was hung, he was constable, and later Thomas marries John Andrews daughter.

12/4/2020 at 1:49 PM

It does seem strange!

We sweated over getting the Barnes families accurate on Geni. Looked to me like the efforts have held up and the Geni tree is reliable. I made a few adjustments - corrections yesterday?

8/29/2022 at 2:21 PM

It is true Thomas Barnes of Hartford Connecticuts first wife was hanged for witchcraft. Information on that is also in a book on the Barnes family. I cannot recall the name of it now as that research was done the hard way (BC:before computers) in the early ‘80’s. Thomas then married another Mary and my family line us of that marriage. Please do not merge families with mine. It seriously confuses and messes up research I have done and verified years ago. In which case I have to go back and fix it. Thanks you and good luck in your endeavors.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion