Joe Biden, 46th President-Elect of the USA - Irish?

Started by Private User on Sunday, November 8, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 49 posts
Private User
11/8/2020 at 5:01 PM

Joe Biden has repeatedly claimed on camera that he is "Irish" Quote: I am Irish.
The press is writing: Biden's victory was celebrated in his ancestral home of Ireland as well
The Geni tree shows the Biden ancestors are entirely from England, not Ireland. Usually one regards an "ancestral homeland" as the paternal one. It is clearly not Irish unless the Geni tree is wrong.
On his mother's side he has some great-grandparents who were Irish.
Trump's father's family was Bavarian but he never claimed to be German. Neither did he claim to be Scottish, although his mother was Scottish.
Conclusion: Joe Biden is as Irish as Trump is Scottish. But please do check the supposed Biden Irish ancestry which is not apparent on the Geni tree- with the immigrant/emigrant Biden born in "England".

11/8/2020 at 5:16 PM

His mother's side looks pretty Irish to me.

https://www.geni.com/list/ancestors/6000000010061822254#6

11/8/2020 at 5:18 PM

So you're just suggesting that he is not Irish on his father' side? So what?

Private User
11/8/2020 at 6:55 PM

Women exist, and we count. :) To be honest, I'm stunned that anyone would think an "ancestral homeland" or ethnic identity is based on paternal ancestry only. A handful of cultures are aggressively patrilineal (or outright misogynistic) like that, but they're rare. I'm sure I'm just misunderstanding you, of course.

His maternal grandfather's family was mostly from County Louth. His maternal grandmother's family was from County Mayo, mostly Ballina. That's showing in the tree, so I see no issues here.

Private User
11/8/2020 at 7:00 PM

"Biden's great-grandfather, James Finnegan, emigrated from County Louth as a child, in 1850. All eight of his great-great-grandparents on his mother's side was born in Ireland during, the first half of the 19th century. On his father's side, two great-grandparents were also born in Ireland. Essentially that makes him five-eighths Irish." https://www.irishcentral.com/news/politics/presidential-candidate-j...

Private User
11/8/2020 at 7:06 PM

See also https://medium.com/@smolenyak/joe-bidens-irish-roots-64135cc97fd7

I could've sworn I'd read at some point that he had ancestors from Gaoth Dobhair (Gweedore), County Donegal, but I can't find anything on that now. But that could be the paternal Irish ancestors, so I'll keep looking.

He's also somehow connected to Rob and Dvae Kearney, the great Irish rugby players, through his Finnegans, but I've yet to find the precise path.

11/8/2020 at 7:09 PM

Not that rare, In 19th century America and England, entire "families" were often classified as Norman or Saxon, according to who the male-line ancestor was in 1066.

And of course everybody thinks Bonnie Prince Charlie was a Scot, though he was actually less than 1/32 Scottish.

Private User
11/8/2020 at 7:17 PM

But in the two centuries since, most Western societies have shed such thinking. I guess that's the point I'm making.

If anyone wants to help with documenting his Irish (or other!) roots, IrishGenealogy.ie is a wonderful resource.

11/9/2020 at 6:08 AM

Just be prepared to remove that newest title from him. The declaration of his victory was premature at the very least, and it might yet be undone.

J P Weyers
11/9/2020 at 6:15 AM

John Albert Rigali ! You must be my relative ! 100 % .
Do not claim that I won but that I was victoriuos ?

Private User
11/9/2020 at 7:25 AM

John Albert Rigali, I had already removed the president-elect display name that was added by someone else -- not because I think it's wrong or likely to change, but because it's not official until the Electoral College votes. As soon as they vote, I'll add it back.

Let's keep this thread focused on his ethnic background, however.

11/9/2020 at 7:26 AM

Is this really a political forum? Are there guidelines?

Private User
11/9/2020 at 7:32 AM

It is *not* a political forum, Nana Jo Redell, and political comments risk being reported to Geni staff.

The question of this thread is about his ethnic background. From what we know, his background is majority Irish, with English and German as well.

J P Weyers
11/9/2020 at 7:53 AM

What does it show on GENI right now ?
His ancestors from where ?
Roderick Hinkel says majority on GENI English.
My dna says 43 % Scandinavian most likely Norwegian yet have hardky any Scandinavian ancestors here on GENI. My paternal yDNA suggest most likeky proto-Germanic from Ukraine does that make me an ethnic German from Ukraine?

Private User
11/9/2020 at 8:06 AM

Mr. Hinkel is incorrect, because he's only considering Biden's direct patrilineal line. You can see Biden's ancestry by going to his profile, clicking the "Actions" button at upper right, and clicking "Ancestry Report."

Private User
11/9/2020 at 8:09 AM

Looks like a bit of French as well.

11/9/2020 at 12:52 PM

J P Weyers, I do not understand your comment. Can you explain?

Private User, although at this time it appears that VP Biden will win the electoral college vote, I think that Pres. Trump will win his law suit(s?) and ultimately take the win for himself. I do recognize that what results that we speculate are irrelevant to Geni- proper Geni procedure should be followed. Thanks for doing that.

Private User
11/9/2020 at 1:25 PM

As stated twice previously, we're not going to discuss politics here. If Phillipp wants to elaborate on his first comment, please do so through PM. If you'd like to discuss Biden's ethnic background, however, feel free to carry on.

Roderick, it looks like our English lines for Biden could use some additional sources. If you have the time and interest, please feel free to add them! Every little bit helps. Otherwise, we'll probably be waiting until the NEHGS releases the "official" genealogy in the spring.

Private User
11/9/2020 at 3:42 PM

Thanks for all your comments. Apart from President Trump, it is said that all other US Presidents were related to the British Royal Family. Mr. Biden seems not to be, unless some of his lines can be expanded. Irish records are hard to come by as the fire in Dublin in 1922 burned them.

Private User
11/9/2020 at 4:33 PM

Unfortunately, they're also somewhat hard to come by in Maryland, which is the U.S. state his father's ancestors largely came through from England.

One bit of hope for establishing the deeper English ties would be his most recent English-born Biden ancestor, William H. (Henry?) Biden. It appears there was a William Biden born on that date in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, so if we could establish that they're the same person, we might be able to take that English line back a bit further. Looks like some genealogists in the area are working on that same idea: https://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/joe-biden-has-ancestors-in-hunting...

J P Weyers
11/9/2020 at 9:34 PM

Does Biden want to be Irish ? Why ? Not something one can choose.
As Roderick has shown me , we can not pick our family .
Ancestors may be discovered often similar names and we go down the wrong path. Then new info is found and you on the right track ( maybe ) again.
One can not force fit a desired ancestor and edit out an infamous ancestor

J P Weyers
11/9/2020 at 10:01 PM

Roche ancestors added only 2 days ago .
Roche surname not very "Irish "more french lorraine going into Switzerland.
It appears a "few additional sources " needed for a few his ancestors

J P Weyers
11/10/2020 at 12:39 AM

No document or record confirming parents of Catherine Finnegan born Roche ;the link on familysearch not confirmed . Might be but no baptism or source . Found quite a few Thomas Roche spouse Bridget with a child Catherine Ireland same period .

11/10/2020 at 4:40 AM

I heard he is little french too

11/10/2020 at 11:51 AM

J P Weyers Roche is apparently a common Irish surname. It is thought to have Norman origins hence why is sounds a bit French: https://ireland-calling.com/irish-names-roche-roach/

More sourcing would be great! We are always looking for help with that if you want to contribute!

See my notes on Catherine Finnegan's profile for the reasoning for the parents. I'll upload the sources that I mentioned to the profiles in question.

I see that you mention on Thomas Roche's profile: "Might be him. but his daughter Catherine married a Pat Rynne not Finnegan." What is your source for this marriage?

Private User
11/10/2020 at 12:57 PM

https://sv.findagrave.com/memorial/214541644/thomas-roche same as
Thomas Roche
here with a daugher Maria R. Roche burried at Ovid, Seneca County, New York, USA.

Private User
11/10/2020 at 1:09 PM

Catherine (Roche) Finnegan (abt. 1840 - abt. 1885)

Daughter of [father unknown] and [mother unknown] [sibling(s) unknown]

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Roche-514

J P Weyers
11/10/2020 at 9:34 PM

Apology Tamas
For the sake of transparency sholud have added link to source not just write it in
-on familysearch Thoms Roche and Brudgey Fox children Catherine born 1849 ( not 1846 ? ) and Peter. Link to a marraige for Catherine Roche and Pat Rynne but do not believe was definitely right . Wiil find link to source and post here.
Could you add all link to sources for census 1841 and 1851 for Catherine Roche will strengthen her proof of parents for all to see .

Showing 1-30 of 49 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion