Geni › people › Fornjot-King-of-Kv... Web results Fornjot "the Ancient Giant", King of Kvenland (deceased) - Genealogy

Started by Joseph Putnam on Friday, November 6, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 20 posts
11/6/2020 at 2:16 PM

https://youtu.be/8VC8PSIB8yA

Fornjot "the Ancient Giant", King of Kvenland&ved=2ahUKEwiRw4WJ9u7sAhVRZ80KHdGKD4QQFjAAegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3ANlA4Mt5jyxl6jZMBk2H8

11/6/2020 at 5:05 PM

Interesting. I think that anyone with ancient Celtic/Scots blood should watch due to lines that go back. The Kvenland hook tagged me.

Private User
11/6/2020 at 8:38 PM

Joseph is my 16th cousin, Susanne is my 11th cousin and allegedly Fornjot is my 42 great grandfather. Lol small world.

11/6/2020 at 10:21 PM

Be careful of the word Giant in relation to Norse culture, it is a translation that has stuck but does not necessarily mean what typical 20th century English speakers think of as a giant.

Also be wary of any website claiming to know where actually Kvenland was, I am very far from an expert but my understanding is that expert opinion is that the sources that we have just don't tell us.

11/6/2020 at 10:53 PM

We can assume that there were many petty kinglets of small places, but nothing resembling a nation state.

Much later, medieval story-tellers would assume that the world had always been organised much as they knew it.

And so for instance every minor Irish warlord whose name was remembered would become a High King of Ireland in later imagination.

11/7/2020 at 1:59 AM

My internet went out last night and so I hung these discussions up for bed, but the interesting part to me is how we can make these "connections."

Someone said once in the discussions that if you go back much further than the 1700s, in many cases, lines get crossed, generations skipped, and people can get wrongly attached. It's why our work is so important. I am just not sure that we can ever vouch for a span of 40+ generations. It seems a real stretch.

11/7/2020 at 2:18 AM

I think at best it can only be up to a individual as to what they believe. We can only present what the ancients left behind for us an do our best to sort it out. For me as a Hethan a follower of Odin an a independent student of my ancestors stories and lineages. It speaks volumes to me that there is even hints that tie me To thevGods

11/7/2020 at 2:20 AM

Sorry accidentally hit the button. Anyway it speaks volumes to me that there are even any hints and clues that tie me to the Gods an the
jǫtunn.

Private User
11/12/2020 at 2:19 PM

Kvenland is in Northern Finland Kainuu, on the Tornionjoki area, part of old Finland and Sweden. Might have been bigger area the wholw Kainuu. Old names still there called Jotuni and finnish speaking who live in Norway are still called Kvens, because of their language. Beside all that, there are old inherited information. My second greatgrandmothers lived in Saami hut https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A1mi_history and their old stories has been told generation after generation and heritage still lives many ways in us. Generally I would like to have some respect to that and remember It would be very same thing to go from California to the American Indian reserve to explain their history to them.

I suggest icelandis sagas for reading for everyone who is interested Kvenland, and also Saami mythologies, interesting history, many stories, wars and places of sagas has later on been proved to be true. Saga did not mean fairytale and it does not mean it now either :) there can be magnified hero stories, very typical here in North, that does not mean the person was a myth.

11/13/2020 at 7:42 AM

Nice discussion. Thanks Private User. And thanks Merethe Sutton. The wikipedia link explains a rationale for trying to find as much as possible about how far the lines for Kvens or "Kainulaiset" go.

I think that we are finding archeological and art studies that provide additional evidence for many of the "ancient tales" across Nordic lands.

https://www.academia.edu/9633867/EVIDENCE_OF_VIKING_RELIGION_THROUG...

https://www.jstor.org/stable/27917543?seq=1

11/14/2020 at 3:46 AM

Thank you all for sharing.

11/14/2020 at 4:24 AM

Hello i loved to have him as my 42th greath grandfather,in bloodline,directly!!!

Thank you,:Regards ;RoyHuijer.

Private User
11/15/2020 at 7:37 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvenland#Old_English_Orosius

Three medieval Icelandic accounts discuss Kvenland. They are Egils saga and the more legendary Hversu Noregr byggdist[11] and Orkneyinga saga.[6] According to Hversu Noregr byggdist, Kvens made sacrifices to Thorri, who "ruled over Gothland, Kvenland (Kænlandi) and Finland." According to Orkneyinga saga, Fornjót was "a king" who "reigned over Gotland, which we now know as Finland and Kvenland."

A DNA study conducted on the prehistoric skeletal remains of four individuals from Gotland supports the area having been ethnically interconnected with Finland and Kvenland during the primeval era, just as suggested by Hversu Noregr byggdist and Orkneyinga saga:

"The hunter-gatherers show the greatest similarity to modern-day Finns", says Pontus Skoglund, an evolutionary geneticist at Uppsala University in Sweden.[12]

Recent archaeological discoveries made in Finland have further emphasized the close ties between Gotland and modern-day Finland during the primeval era. In the late spring of 2013, a Merovingian period (600-800 AD) silver plate, believed to be a piece of a sword scabbard, was discovered in Rautjärvi, Finland. The origin of the silver plate has been traced to Gotland, based on its style of ornamentation. According to Jukka Luoto of the Museum of South Karelia, "this indicates that these areas have independently conducted trade with Gotland."[13][14]

Orkneyinga saga contains a realistic description of Nór traveling from Kvenland to Norway. Based on the saga's internal chronologies, this would have happened around the 6th or 7th century CE,[citation needed] but the dating is very insecure. Locations of Kvenland, Finland and Gotland are given rather exactly.

Private
11/20/2020 at 6:00 AM

Fornjot "the Ancient Giant", King of Kvenland is your 42nd great grandfather.
You
→ Floyd Lee Washington, Jr
your father → Floyd Lee Washington, Sr.
his father → Prince Edward Washington, Sr
his father → Pvt. Prince Edward / William Washington
his father → Francis Augustine Washington, Sr.
his father → Captain Samuel T Washington
his father → Col. Charles Washington
his father → Captain Augustine Washington
his father → Captain Lawrence Washington
his father → Colonel John Washington
his father → Reverend Lawrence Washington
his father → Margaret Washington
his mother → William Butler, Esq., of Tyes
her father → Margaret Sutton
his mother → John Sutton
her father → Lady Joyce Sutton
his mother → John Tiptoft, Baron Tiptoft
her father → Sir Payn Tiptoft, Kt., MP
his father → Sir John Tiptoft, 2nd Baron Tibetot
his father → Agnes de Ros
his mother → William de Ros, 1st Lord de Ros of Helmsley, Joint Lord and Warden of Scotland
her father → Isabel d'Aubigny, Heiress of Belvoir
his mother → William IV "The Lion" d'Aubigny, Lord of Belvoir
her father → William III "Brito" d'Aubigny, Lord of Belvoir, Surety of the Magna Carta
his father → Matilda (Maud) FitzRobert de Clare de Senlis
his mother → Robert FitzRichard de Clare
her father → Richard FitzGilbert de Bienfaite, Lord of Clare and of Tonbridge
his father → Gilbert de Brionne comte d'Eu
his father → Geoffrey de Brionne, Count of Eu & Brionne
his father → Richard I, 'the Fearless', Duke of Normandy
his father → William "Longsword"
his father → Gange-Hrólfr 'Rollo' Ragnvaldsson
his father → Ragnvald Eysteinsson, Earl of Møre
his father → Eystein Ivarsson «the Noisy» Glumra
his father → Ivar Halfdansson, Opplendingejarl
his father → Halfdan "Gamle" Sveidasson
his father → Sveidi Heytirsson, Sea King
his father → Sea King Heytir Gorrsson
his father → Gor Thorrasson, Sea King
his father → Myth king Thorri Snærsson Snaero sūnus, of Kvenland
his father → Snø "Den gamle" Frosteson av Kvenland
his father → Frosti Karasson, Mythical King of Kvenland
his father → King Kari ''Wind'' Fornjotsson, of Kvenland
his father → Fornjot "the Ancient Giant", King of Kvenland
his father

6/27/2021 at 9:59 PM

I keep getting told that he is fictional, any truth to him even existing?

Private User
6/28/2021 at 1:58 AM

Joseph Raymond Burke, yes, there is very little evidence for Fornjótr ever having existed outside of the sagas. He is listed as one of the ancient ancestors to early historical kings of Scandinavia by Snorri Sturlasson, but euhemerization of mythological characters was common since the Christianization of the Nordics (similar to how Bede presented Anglo-Saxon gods as mortal beings in the 8th century).

This isn't me completely dismissing Fornjótr's historicity, but I think it's a good idea to be careful with profiles like this and their sources. Then again, I've seen profiles for Adam and Eve on Geni too...

2/4/2023 at 10:10 AM

I am just curious about this. Was Fornjot an actual, real person? Or is he one of the mythical ancestors? His line goes way back.

2/4/2023 at 2:39 PM

We know that one saga writer wrote a few words about him in the 13th century. That's all we know for sure - and we're unlikely to find more sources.

Was he real or was he a figment of the saga writer's imagination? I don't think we'll ever know.

Showing all 20 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion