William Comyn - Name William > Ewan

Started by Sharon Doubell on Tuesday, October 27, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• Geni member
  • Geni member
  • By Czar Brodie - Own work by uploader.This vector image includes elements that have been taken or adapted from this:  Lion rampant.svg (by S@m).This vector image includes elements that have been taken or adapted from this:  Heraldique meuble nef.svg (by S@m).This vector image includes elements that have been taken or adapted from this:  Niederried bei Kallnach-coat of arms.svg (by Aliman5040)., CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7106894
  • By Czar Brodie - Own work by uploader.This vector image includes elements that have been taken or adapted from this:  Lion rampant.svg (by S@m).This vector image includes elements that have been taken or adapted from this:  Heraldique meuble nef.svg (by S@m).This vector image includes elements that have been taken or adapted from this:  Niederried bei Kallnach-coat of arms.svg (by Aliman5040)., CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7106894

Related Projects:

Showing all 8 posts
10/27/2020 at 1:14 AM

Should this William be a Ewan?

"Andrew Wyntoun’s Cronykil records that "the Red Cwmyn" had four daughters, of whom the third married "Alysawndyr off Argayle" by whom she had "Jhon off Lorne…Ewyn off Lorne"[1060]." http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/SCOTTISH%20NOBILITY.htm#DugaldsonSo... or is this an acceptable cognate?

10/27/2020 at 3:22 AM

I think the question is whether "Jhon" and "Ewyn" are the same person.

Scots Peerage quotes Wyntoun here

https://archive.org/stream/scotspeeragefoun01pauluoft#page/533/

but mentions only one son, John.

Geni gives Comyn's daughter 8 children :)

NN de Comyn

and one of them is John/Eoin.

Cawley calls Alexander's father Ewen, but quotes (translated) sources that call him John (and a Latin source that calls him Ewgenius).

10/27/2020 at 3:47 AM

Cawley's using that source to stipulate two sons: John & Ewan.

Where does William come in, is my question.

10/27/2020 at 4:00 AM

cf >>>*ii) [Alasdair Macdubhgaill, Lord mormaer of Lorn ALEXANDER Macdougall] ). m [NN de Comyn --- Comyn], daughter of [Sir John l "the Red" Comyn, Earl of Badenoch, Justiciar of Galloway JOHN Comyn Lord of Badenoch] & his first wife [Eve Stewart Eva] ---. Andrew Wyntoun’s Cronykil records that "the Red Cwmyn" had four daughters, of whom the third married "Alysawndyr off Argayle" by whom she had "Jhon off Lorne…Ewyn off Lorne"[1058]. Alexander & his wife had two children:

>>>>*(a) [Sir John "The Red" Comyn, III, Lord of Badenoch JOHN] . Andrew Wyntoun’s Cronykil records that "the Red Cwmyn" had four daughters, of whom the third married "Alysawndyr off Argayle" by whom she had "Jhon off Lorne…Ewyn off Lorne"[1059].

>>>>*(b) [William Comyn EWEN] . Andrew Wyntoun’s Cronykil records that "the Red Cwmyn" had four daughters, of whom the third married "Alysawndyr off Argayle" by whom she had "Jhon off Lorne…Ewyn off Lorne"[1060].

10/27/2020 at 4:03 AM

As you say - these guys have Alianora de Baliol as a mother, not NN!

Maybe I got myself in a knot and am barking up the wrong tree.... :-/

10/27/2020 at 4:06 AM

Eek - you're right, Brian - I was going cross-eyed obviously. Thanks for picking it up. Anne ignore all above. *red face*

10/27/2020 at 4:34 AM

So-

>>*a) [Ewan MacDougal, Lord of Lorn EWEN of Argyll] (-after 4 Apr [1268]). The Saga of Eirspennill’s Hakon Hakon’s son records that "the kings of the Hebrides were Dugald Screech and his brother Duncan, the father of John who was king afterwards…the sons of Dungal, Somerled’s son"[1050]. The Saga of Eirspennill’s Hakon Hakon’s son records that "John, Duncan’s son, and Dugald, Ruadri’s son" met Alexander II King of Scotland in 1248 and "endeavoured…that the king should give them the title of king over the northern part of the Hebrides"[1051]. "…Domino Ewgenio de Argadia, Domino M. avunculo nostro…" subscribed the charter dated 4 Apr "1218" (suggested redating to 1268 by the editor of the cartulary) under which "Malisius comes de Stratheryn" donated property at Abircarnich to Inchaffray[1052]. m ---. The name of Ewen’s wife is not known. Ewen & his wife had three children :

>>>*i) [Mary of Argyll MARY] (-[28 Sep 1300/10 Oct 1303], bur London, Grey Friars Church).

>>>*ii) [Alasdair Macdubhgaill, Lord mormaer of Lorn ALEXANDER Macdougall] ). m [NN de Comyn --- Comyn], daughter of [Sir John l "the Red" Comyn, Earl of Badenoch, Justiciar of Galloway JOHN Comyn Lord of Badenoch] & his first wife [Eve Stewart Eva] ---. Andrew Wyntoun’s Cronykil records that "the Red Cwmyn" had four daughters, of whom the third married "Alysawndyr off Argayle" by whom she had "Jhon off Lorne…Ewyn off Lorne"[1058]. Alexander & his wife had two children:

>>>>*(a) [Sir John MacDougall, 5th of Dunollie and of Lorn JOHN] . Andrew Wyntoun’s Cronykil records that "the Red Cwmyn" had four daughters, of whom the third married "Alysawndyr off Argayle" by whom she had "Jhon off Lorne…Ewyn off Lorne"[1059].

>>>>*(b) [Ewen Macdougall, of Lorn EWEN] . Andrew Wyntoun’s Cronykil records that "the Red Cwmyn" had four daughters, of whom the third married "Alysawndyr off Argayle" by whom she had "Jhon off Lorne…Ewyn off Lorne"[1060].

>>>*iii) [Julianna MacDougall JULIANA] .

http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/SCOTTISH%20NOBILITY.htm#DugaldsonSo...

10/27/2020 at 4:40 AM

Thanks for catching that Brian Johnson

I see why you said John might also be Ewan Sir John MacDougall, 5th of Dunollie and of Lorn if I look at the profile's About - but neither Cawley or Wikipedia seem to be in any doubt anymore: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_of_Argyll so I'm assuming they all decided to align with "Andrew Wyntoun’s Cronykil records that "the Red Cwmyn" had four daughters, of whom the third married "Alysawndyr off Argayle" by whom she had "Jhon off Lorne…Ewyn off Lorne""

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion