Daughter of Somerled - Sources?

Started by Sharon Doubell on Saturday, October 24, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 15 posts
10/24/2020 at 11:22 PM

What primary Sources validate this profile?

10/25/2020 at 12:04 AM

Disconnecting as a child of Somerled, “King of the Isles”, pending primary sources

cf Brother [and sister], parents not known:
*1. [Somerled, “King of the Isles” SOMERLED] (-killed in battle 1164). Balfour Paul says that the first reference to Somerled records him as living in the district of Morven with his father Gillebride, but he does not cite the precise source[1019]. Lord of Argyll. He acquired control of the Western Isles and assumed the title "King of the Isles". The Chronicle of Melrose records that Somerled Lord of Argyll landed at Renfrew in 1164, after 12 years of rebellion against Malcolm IV King of Scotland, with a large army from Ireland but was defeated and killed with his son[1020]. The Extracta ex Cronicis Scocie records that "Sumerlendus regulus Ergadie" rebelled against King Malcolm for 12 years, landed at Renfrew from Ireland, and was killed "et filium suum Gillecolanem", among passages dealing with events in 1164[1021]. The Annals of Ulster record that "Somharlidh Mac Gilla-Adhamhnain and his son were killed" in 1164[1022]. The Book of Clanranald records that that no battle was fought and that Somerled was killed in his tent, after which his followers dispersed[1023]. m [Ragnhildr Óláfsdóttir, of Man --- of Man], illegitimate daughter of OLAV King of Man & his mistress ---. The Chronicon Manniæ et Insularum records that “Olavus filius Godredi Crovan” had many concubines by whom he fathered “filios tres…Reignaldum, Lagmannum et Haraldum et filias multas”, adding that one daughter married “Sumerledo regulo Herergaildel”[1024]. Balfour Paul names her "Ragnhildis" but he does not cite the corresponding primary source[1025]. Somerled & his wife had five children:
>*a) [Dougal MacRory, 1st of Dunollie and of Lorn DUGALD] (-after 1175). The Chronicon Manniæ et Insularum names “Dulgallum, Reginaldum, Engus et Olavum” as the four sons of “Sumerledo regulo Herergaildel” and his wife the daughter of Olav King of Man[1026].
>*b) [Ragnall mac Somhairle, Lord of the Isles REGINALD] . The Chronicon Manniæ et Insularum names “Dulgallum, Reginaldum, Engus et Olavum” as the four sons of “Sumerledo regulo Herergaildel” and his wife the daughter of Olav King of Man[1027]. The Chronicon Manniæ et Insularum records that Engus, son of Somerled, defeated his brother Reginald in 1192[1028].
>*c) [Angus of Bute & Arran ANGUS] (-killed 1210). The Chronicon Manniæ et Insularum names “Dulgallum, Reginaldum, Engus et Olavum” as the four sons of “Sumerledo regulo Herergaildel” and his wife the daughter of Olav King of Man[1029]. The Chronicon Manniæ et Insularum records that Engus, son of Somerled, defeated his brother Reginald in 1192, adding in a later passage that Engus was killed in 1210[1030]. Balfour Paul states that Angus inherited "Bute, with a part of Arran, and the Rough Bounds (Garmoran) extending from Ardnamurchan to Gleneig"[1031]. m ---. The name of Angus’s wife is not known. Angus & his wife had one child:
>*d) [Olav OLAV] . The Chronicon Manniæ et Insularum names “Dulgallum, Reginaldum, Engus et Olavum” as the four sons of “Sumerledo regulo Herergaildel” and his wife the daughter of Olav King of Man[1035].
>*e) [Gilliecolum mac Somairle GILLECOLAN] (-killed in battle 1164). The Chronicle of Melrose records that he was killed in battle with his father[1036]. The Extracta ex Cronicis Scocie records that "Sumerlendus regulus Ergadie" rebelled against King Malcolm for 12 years, landed at Renfrew from Ireland, and was killed "et filium suum Gillecolanem", among passages dealing with events in 1164[1037].
>*f) [Gall "the Foreigner" mac Somairle GALL Macsgillin] . Balfour Paul names "Olave and Gall Macsgillin" as two other possible sons of Somerled, but does not cite the corresponding primary source[1038]. Olav is named in the Chronicon Manniæ (see above) but not Gall.]
>*g) [Bethoc, Prioress of Iona BEATRICE] . Balfour Paul names "Beatrice prioress of Iona" as the daughter of Somerled, but does not cite the corresponding primary source[1039]. Olav is named in the Chronicon Manniæ (see above) but not Gall.]

*2. [Unknown sister of Somerled, of the Isles --] . Her parentage and marriage are confirmed by John of Fordun’s Scotichronicon (Continuator) records that "Summerledus regulus Ergadiæ et sui nepotes, filii…Malcolmi Macheth" rebelled against King Malcolm IV in the first year of his reign[1040]. This assumes that the term "nepos" should be interpreted as "nephews" in that source. Her marriage date is estimated assuming that it is correct that her husband was imprisoned from 1134, before which his two children must have been born. There would be no such restriction on the date if Malcolm son of King Alexander I and Malcolm MacHeth were two different persons as suggested by Duncan[1041]. m ([1130]) [Malcolm MacEth, Earl of Ross MALCOLM MacEth] … ([1105/15]-23 Oct 1168). He was created Earl of Ross in 1162 or before.]
*http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/SCOTTISH%20NOBILITY.htm#_ftnref1019

10/26/2020 at 12:16 AM
10/26/2020 at 9:36 AM

Got it.

This connection comes from a fairly early notion -- Laumon, the son of Fearchar MacNeill (Laumon is the beginning of the Lamont clan, I read in this thing I found), is supposedly the son of a daughter of Somerled.

Here's the quote --

"From Fearchar came a son named Laumon and it is from him that the Clan Lamont received it's name. Some sources say that these same Lamonts were known at one time as MacErchar from Fearchar (as in the original Dal Riata MacErc). It is clear that this clan has very old roots in the Kingdom of Dalriada, evidenced not only by the previous name MacErchar and the tie with the original kingdoms of northern Ireland, but also from centuries old conflicts with the Clan Diarmaid, or Campbell

In 1235,Sir Laumon, signed a charter granting lands to the Paisley Abbyll This charter isstill in existence. Few clans can document their existence at such an early date. Sir Walter Scott refers to Sir Laumon in Antiquary as "Lamon mor ", or the Great Lamont in English. Sir Laumon's mother is believed to have been a daughter of the great Somerled, ancestor of the MacDonalds. Tradition, supported by a genealogical work of 1682 found in Inveraray Castle, maintains that a son of Sir Laumaon, had to flee Cowal as a result of a murder; and founded the Lyons of Glamis. He took the name of Lyon from the Lamont arms, and chose as his arms, the reverse of the Lamonts, a blue lion on a silver field.

that is from https://heraldry.celticradio.net/printpage.php?type=family&id=39 which is not an authoratative site, BUT it allows us to find

Ta-da!

Yet another reference to Edinburgh MS 1467, as study of which tells us

"It has been plausibly conjectured that Gille Colaim (who was dead by 1235)
married a daughter of Somerled (Somhairle), king of the Isles. This would explain
why the name Somhairle began to appear in the family, and also why their firstborn was called Ladhmann (Somerled’s daughter had an uncle and brother of that
name). This theory that Ladhmann was Somerled’s grandson is given force by
a seventeenth-century tradition among the Lyons of Glamis that ‘Jon de Lyon,
who lived in the reigne of K[ing] D[avid] 2d [1329–71] . . . maryed Lymon alias
Laumond, great-grandchild to the famous Sumerledus who in the reigne of K[ing]
Malcolm 4th aspired to the Croune’. For ‘Lymon alias Laumond’ we may read
ní Ladhmainn ‘Ladhmann’s daughter’.

and that is from -- McKechnie, Lamont Clan, pp. 42–45, 48. And that is "Lamont Clan," by Hector McKechnie, published in 1938 and, I read, seminal.

Fair enough.

So. The upshot of this is -- no contemporary evidence. But a 16th century reference to Lamont being descended from Somerled. What the 16th C MS is I do not know, as I cannot afford to buy a copy of McKechnie's seminal work on the Lamonts. But a piece of circumstantial evidence is that the name Lauman might be a connection between the two lines.

Voila.

10/26/2020 at 10:39 AM

Sterling work. And a lot of it. Thank you. I'm suspicious of 16th Century references - but then Balfour Paul seems to be being used so feel I might be too hasty?

10/26/2020 at 10:51 AM

Certainly Balfour Paul is an authority. Relying on the Lord Lyon King of Arms is fair.

10/26/2020 at 11:28 AM

He seems often not to quote his sources?

10/26/2020 at 11:32 AM

Yeah, I'm not surprised. But he's the Scottish Heraldry officer. So there's that.

10/26/2020 at 11:57 AM

I'm just going with it if you tell me to :-)

10/26/2020 at 1:05 PM

I would do it, and add in notes as to the issues.

At the time that Balfour Paul was working, it was quite common not to cite sources.

10/26/2020 at 2:23 PM

Yup. Some we may never find.

5/8/2021 at 9:13 PM

Thank you ladies for this delightful hard work you found....So many persons ask ::: How can we know this as true so many years ago... I tell them the scribes kept a reference to every jot and tittle that is why you can accept their writings as near truth...and you ladies can search out that information since we do not have access to author documentation....Keep up the great work for preservation and posterity.....

Private User
5/15/2021 at 12:15 PM

Hello all,
Reply to Anne Brannen. Very interesting post on the Lamont clan. My mother is a Lamont and I am also descended from Somerled. Back in the '50s, my mother's father told her that when she happened to be living on (of all streets!) Somerled Avenue! Anyway, it would be so nice if someone could actually find out more information about Somerled's daughter, and in particular her name.

Private User
5/15/2021 at 12:18 PM

I came across a site where you can download Hector McKechnie's book "Lamont Clan. Here is is:
https://archive.org/details/lamontclan12351900mcke

Enjoy.

Private User
5/15/2021 at 5:14 PM

Private User thank you for sharing such a wonderful genealogy book, much appreciated. It has several references to this daughter of Somerled.

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion