Elizabeth Wentworth - With so much evidence refuting it, why does she continue to be identified as the daughter of Thomas Wentworth?

Started by Private User on Monday, October 19, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 91-94 of 94 posts

Brian Sandford, Sr.'s wife has now been identified (Isabella Blackburn of Yorkshire), and I'm currently working with two wills from her family (his in-laws) in order to get him properly connected with the rest of his family. Or at least as much as possible. The name "Edmund" is also associated with this Yorkshire Brian, as I'd already suspected based on the feets of fines I reviewed recently. But I have a feeling the name Edmund was repeated often in the Sandford family, so I'm sure there is more work ahead after this.

"The family of Sandford ended during the reign of Elizabeth, in the three daughters and coheirs of Hercy Sandford, Esq. For these I must refer my readers to the History of South Yorkshire, i. 310. Brian Sandford was probably the first of his name who came from Westmerland into Yorkshire. This change of residence was in all probability caused by his marriage."

Not a good guess, because Edmund and Idonea appear to have been resident lords of Thorpe Salvin in 1379.

But we still don't know how Sir Edmund the sheriff fits into the family. He had Thorpe Salvin, but not Askham. I'm tending to think he might have been the son or grandson of Edmund by a previous wife, before Idonea.

No, Edmund and Idonea were Sandfords of Askham. The Thorpe Salvin Edmund found in the Feets of Fines I reviewed yesterday was married to "Katherine" and had a son named "Brian". Etc. I have all my sources and ducks in are lining up nicely, so far. It is tough though, no doubt about it.

Showing 91-94 of 94 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion