Started by Erica Howton on Thursday, September 24, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 21 posts
9/24/2020 at 8:36 PM

= = Original message = =

According to Ed Deming on the RootsWeb.com Deming message board: "The parents of Elizabeth Deming, probably the sister of John Deming, wife of Nathanial Foote and Thomas Welles are not known. John Deming had a son Jonathan, who's second wife was Elizabeth Gilbert, daughter of Josiah and Elizabeth [Belcher] Gilbert. The information on the parents of John or Elizabeth Deming (the settlers) is someone's mistake that has made it into a Family Tree file and is now all over the internet."

I have been attempting to prove or disprove the above. Any help?

—-

In other words - She’s a probable sister of John Deming & neither are proven children of John Deming & Elizabeth Deming

Should we disconnect ?

9/24/2020 at 8:54 PM

And more:

https://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person:Unknown_Deming_%286%29

GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives (at RootsWeb), Ancestry.com online (archiver.rootsweb.com/th/index/gen-medieval), acce
2006-04, msg 1143892360, posted by Pam.
'> David Samuelsen's comments:
> Elizabeth wife of Nathaniel Foote is Elizabeth Deming, dau of Jonathan
> Deming and Elizabeth Gilbert

The only place I saw the parentage listed for Elizabeth Deming was in a privately published genealogy. I traced the so-called sources they gave and none of them listed Elizabeth's parents. Elizabeth's brother, John Deming,
had a son, Jonathan, who married an Elizabeth Gilbert. Personallly I think someone messed up the relationships. As far as I know there has been no proof of parentage for the Demings. I've been trying to trace them for over 20 years.

Pam'

↑ Birth year estimated based on approx birth year of his daughter.

9/24/2020 at 9:57 PM

Genealogy of the Descendants of John Deming of Wethersfield, Connecticut ... edited by Judson Keith Deming. Page 3- 4

https://books.google.com/books?id=hHNGAAAAMAAJ&dq=John%20deming...

Father suggested as John Sr.

9/25/2020 at 2:36 AM

Probable Sister of John Deming In “John Deming and Elizabeth Foote” (1979), George E. McCracken writes:

For many years it has been known that in her will dated 28 March 1678, probated 1683 Manwaring’s Digest 1:379 f.[6], Elizabeth, successively wife and widow of Nathaniel Foote and of Governor Thomas Welles, all of Wethersfield, Conn., named as one of two overseers “my beloved Brother Mr John Deming sen.”… Nathaniel's estate p. 12; Thomas Welles estate p. 162, 163; Elizabeth Welles p. 379

9/25/2020 at 2:38 AM

Given that Elizabeth was born about 1595 (based on her marriage to Nathaniel Foote, about 1615) and that John Deming was born about 1615 (based on his being about age 90 when he died in 1705), Elizabeth would have been about 20 years older than John Deming. Such a difference in age is perhaps more common amongst half-siblings than amongst full-siblings.

Private User
9/25/2020 at 4:50 AM

What is the reason for rejecting this:
"John Deming immigrated before 1635 from Colchester, England, to Watertown in the Massachusetts Bay Colony where his aunt Elizabeth Deming and her husband Nathaniel Foote had settled two years before." from A Family History: The Ancestors of Thomas Wilson Faust: cited on John Deming's profile overview. Is there any kind of evidence she is his sister rather than his aunt?

Private User
9/25/2020 at 5:09 AM

And, given the Genealogy of the Descendants of John Deming of Wethersfield source suggests that John Deming's father might also be a John (rather than Jonathan), and that Richard Treat's will quoted there calls both David Deming, son of John Deming Sr. and Samuel Welles, son of "Elizabeth Deming" his cousins, where is the backing for assuming Elizabeth Deming Foote Welles was John Deming's sister?

Private User
9/25/2020 at 5:52 AM

Also, given this statement, sourced on @Nathaniel Foote "the Settler"'s profile overview,
"A short time after he finished his apprenticeship training, he was married to Elizabeth Deeming (In January of the year 1616) in Colchester, Essex, England. She was the sister of John Deeming, who was one of the first settlers of Wethersfield Conn. in the year of 1615." it seems highly unlikely the Elizabeth Deming who married Nathaniel "the Settler" Foote was the sister of John Deming, b.1615. (Possible, however, as I am 18 years older than my youngest sibling.) I guess I am just wanting to use Occam's razor. What is more likely, it seems to me, is that there is confusion among John and Jonathan and Elizabeth the sister and Elizabeth the aunt.

Also, from John Deming overview,
"Elizabeth Gilbert 1 was born in 1578 in Of Shalford, Near Colchester, Essex, England. She died on 8 Sep 1614 in Prob. Shalford, Essex, England. She married Jonathan Deming on 25 Dec 1673 [sic] in Of Shalford, Near Colchester, Essex, England. She had other parents.

"They had the following children:

"M i Henry Deming 1 was born in 1617 in Wethersfield, Hartford County, Connecticut. F ii Mary Deming 1 was born on 24 Oct 1622 in , Weathersfield, Hartford, Connecticut. She died on 2 Apr 1671 in , Middletown, Middlesex, Connecticut. M iii John Deming 1 was born about 1593 in , , , England. He died in 1644 in Wethersfield, , Ct. F iv Sarah Deming 1 was born in 1622 in Wethersfield, Hartford County, Connecticut. F v Martha Deming 1 was born in 1627 in Wethersfield, Hartford County, Connecticut. M vi Thomas Deming Or Deming Demon 1 was born in 1613 in Shalford, Colchester, Essex, England. He died on 28 Jul 1683 in Wethersfield, Hartford, Conn. F vii Mary Deming 1 was born on 24 Oct 1692 in , Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut. She died on 22 Apr 1771 in , Middletown, Middlesex, Connecticut. F viii Elizabeth Deming "

Is it possible we have a missing generation of Demings?

For the record, Nathaniel Foote, Elizabeth Deming, and Honor Treat are all my 9th ggs.

9/25/2020 at 7:02 AM

My vote is "yes", with appropriate notes as to the assertions in the "about" section, and then "lock it"!!
Doug

9/25/2020 at 10:58 AM

Douglas Allen Ross - lock to which configuration?

Private User - Anderson’s Great Migration Project seems to endorse the McCracken / Jacobus view (Elizabeth as older half sibling to John; unknown if they share a father or a mother, but father more likely).

John as a fathers name seems supported enough.

This is a “mega merge” family.

9/25/2020 at 11:03 AM
Private User
9/25/2020 at 12:10 PM

I am nowhere near your level of expertise, Erica Howton, but the whole building on certain probabilities rather than on other probabilities thing bothers me. Reading the study you cite above, we get,
"Paul Prindle, after analyzing probable birth dates, came to the conclusion that John likely married an unknown first wife, who was the mother of his eldest son, John)"
Really? After analyzing probable birth dates? With no independent corroboration? Honor was certainly old enough to have been the mother of John Deming. How is this anything more than conjecture? And what do you do with this,
"John Deming 1 was born about 1593 in , , , England. He died in 1644 in Wethersfield, ?" Probably, I am just confused.

9/25/2020 at 12:23 PM

Thomas Deming, of East Hampton Separated from this family. His origins are unknown but his wife Mary Deming is known. She was not the wife of Thomas Dimon, of Fairfield

9/25/2020 at 12:31 PM

The Deming - Dimon - Diament families are particularly challenging. They have also been written about in various articles, so looking for the literature helps.

Sgt. John Deming Has varying birthdates (no birth record).

“ Deming Genealogy": According to Savage, John Deming Jr., was born in 1638, but the authority for this statement is not given. Hinman says that he was born in 1632, and if this earlier date is correct, he must have been born before his father moved to Wethersfield. ... “

And that would also be before Honor Treat married,

9/25/2020 at 12:32 PM

Hi, Erica,
Yes, I favor the "Great Migration" version, until something is proven to discredit it. Sorry, I wasn't paying attention when I replied!
Doug

9/25/2020 at 12:33 PM

What you might also want to look for is if John Deming Jr is named in Treat Wills. I’ve seen a grand children left out, suggesting from another mother.

9/26/2020 at 12:12 PM

No, we should not disconnect the two Demings. I have a report started by another Foote family member in 1630 which shows eight generations of Foote family descendants and a few from the 9th generation from 1630-1849. If that can be useful to researchers please ask others to contact me and I will send them a .pdf copy.

9/26/2020 at 4:51 PM

William Harold Roe I believe that John Deming and Elizabeth Welles were close kin is well accepted and evidence supported, the question is the exact relationship. Have them linked as “brother / sister” on geni, without parents, which hopefully leaves room open for more precision as found.

4/1/2021 at 11:11 AM

I apologize for not seeing your note. I have found that John Deming was born in 1593 and Elizabeth in 1595 and that both were born in the same recognized area (town, village???). But this is all fuzzy. We should take the position that the evidence favors the sibling theory. Both John and Elizabeth's husband, Nathaniel Foote the Settler, were involved in the leadership of the 1634-35 formation of Wethersfield CT and purportedly represented on the CT flag by two of the three stalks of grain(?). But all this is rather fuzzy and none makes John out to be Elizabeth's older brother.

Private User
4/4/2021 at 6:37 AM

William,
You mentioned in an earlier comment that you would be willing to send a pdf of the Foote family records. If you have not added them to "Sources" here, would you be good enough to send them to me?
Nathanial Foote and Elizabeth Deming Foote Welles were two of my 9th g-grandparents.
Thanks!

4/4/2021 at 6:30 PM

Hi R.D.

The file I have is almost 300 pages of a word processor but can be emailed if you want it. Just contact me at billroe8740@hotmail.com and I'll send it to you. I have never added anything to Sources here.

Showing all 21 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion