Major John Lewis, I - Sources for this profile

Started by Susanne Floyd on Thursday, September 3, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 65 posts

I show on my 7th great father's autosomal dna... John McCollum...

John Neil "Old John" McCollum, Sr.

Diana you at DNA match at 5th - Peter Rush

Priv. Peter Rush

Which Is what I thought the Top of the range was. So it’s the other guy at 7th that I don’t understand.

It’s a geni question.

The good news is your line is good. I’ll make sure it’s all curated.

I don’t see that?

Mildred Reade married Augustine Warner

Their daughter Elizabeth Lewis married Colonel John 'Councillor' Lewis

Thanks Erica. Here's the "thang" about Peter....

There was a "Peter"...born 1725...son of William...and a "Peter"...born 1754...son of Peter.

These profiles have gotten intermingled a couple of times. Photo for Peter 1725 should go to Peter 1754. Wives and children are tangled.

Going to bed....will look at this in the morning.

Yup. Mildreds daughter married Lewis. We’re good.

Diana Collins I thought something was wrong with Peter. 3 wives & 27 children?? Look at revisions and see if we can spot bad merge ?

Unknown Profile, I am afraid that you may be misreading that inscription.

Elizabeth Lewis is the late wife of John Lewis. She is also the daughter of Augustine Warner and Mildred, his wife. Old tombstones can be a little tricky to understand because they often lack punctuation, which leads to confusions like this.

With punctuation: "Here Lyeth Interr'd ye Body of Elizabeth Lewis, the Daughter of Col Augustine Warner and Mildred, his Wife, and late wife of John Lewis Esq."
Although even with punctuation it is still a bit confusing because we have a descriptive phrase that contains another descriptive phrase... English is an annoying language :-)

Tamas

Cheley....choose your words wisely...or the conversation will get shut down...again. I am from WV, we take things a little s...l...o...w...e...r.

These two "Master" profiles are one in the same....

Sir Edward Lewis of Edington Priory and The Van

Sir Edward Lewis, “of London”

I had meant on geni based on sources.

“ Elizabeth "Isabella" (Miller) Yard IS not a mash up nor a made up person as was previously stated...”

That’s because I fixed her and merged to erroneous “Isabella Warner” to the correct Master Profile. You can see it in revisions. It’s confusing in the message.

Hi Unknown Profile. I am just now able to review some of the literature. I started the discussion and as such am left with "placecard holders" for some lines. That is ok until we can sort the truth. I know from my review of this thread that Erica Howton and Tamás Flinn Caldwell-Gilbert have contributed and/or reviewed this thread with massive information and sources. That was what I was asking for - assistance. They are extremely well-vetted for this mission. I trust what will shake out from the research they find and I am sure that they are reading your helpful responses. Best, cousin. Susanne

Hi Susanne Floyd

The Geni tree is currently correct for the Lewis - Warner Hall line, I believe. Hopefully our Master Profiles are clear enough.

:D

Thanks, Erica Howton. I am not sure about the parents of Patience Harrelson, but at least this line is cleaned up. They sure were in bad shape before. Again, thanks to all who contributed and especially to you, Erica. Happy Labor Day!

Nice video, Cheley, I enjoyed that.

Very interesting, Cheley. I think that Erica has it all untangled now. These sources are helpful, I am sure. I am bookmarking the two videos. Again, thanks.

The story of Geni:

We get it right

They mess it up

We fix it

They mess it up again

Lather rinse repeat ad infinitum.

Wait a minute, Cheley. I posted this discussion as someone on my lines and it turns out that someone in your lines were in a hot mess. I wasn't sure how it needed to be done. I started on the main "need help with Colonial lines" and then posted the discussion on the profile.

I think I went through the proper procedures (I never touched a thing during the discussions). I honestly, don't think any geni curator can remember off the top of their heads some facts that they do not deal with everyday. Let's give them a break, please.

I am not going to argue about anything as my line was not supposed to be mixed up with Warner Hall (at least not this Lewis line that I have) and I wanted to make sure it was straight. I am happy that it is getting back to where it needs to be. I have read through the links so far and found them interesting, but it is a constant battle as Maven points out. Just let 10,000 Gedcom files get dumped in a few lines. Cleanup that Ajax can't fix in a lot of cases.

Unknown Profile

The Geni tree had gotten so out of sorts, it was difficult to recognize anyone.

The msg above was “originally” a URL to a “wrong” profile. I figured out the wrong profile and merged it to the MP. That’s why the msg now reads a little confusing. I apologize for that.

Thank you for the stories and links.

Done. https://www.geni.com/path/Grace-Moses+is+related+to+John-the-Immigr...

John "the Immigrant" Lewis is Grace May (McLean) Moses' 9th great grandfather.

You
→ Katherine R Gibson
your mother → Ila Myrtle Pelfrey
her mother → Theorah Epson Pelfrey
her mother → Rev Granville Henderson Spencer
her father → Franklin Nathaniel Spencer
his father → Temperance Spencer
his mother → Elizabeth Spencer
her mother → Isabella Deaton
her mother → Mary Brantley
her mother → Sarah Battaile
her mother → Sarah Taliaferro
her mother → Colonel Lawrence Smith
her father → Elizabeth Smith
his mother → Mary Warner
her sister → Colonel Augustine Warner, II
her son

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is a tree match to Maj. John Lewis, of “Chemokins” and it has a different mother. Will likely need a curator and Lord knows what to get straight or maybe just delete it. It appears to be a gedcom import. I am just not sure why gedcoms need to go that far back. Maybe stop at 1950. :-)

Thanks, was able to isolate a bit of Gedcom match, & send for deleting.

Thanks, Erica Howton!

Married in: Major John Lewis, of “Chemokins” is your fourth great uncle's second cousin four times removed.
You
→ Geneive Melba Hicks (Emerson)
your mother → Ossie Mae Emerson (Pratt)
her mother → Maudie May Pratt (Crawshaw)
her mother → Robert Benjamin Hinchcliff Crawshaw
her father → Titus Crawshaw
his father → Eliza Crawford Davis (Crawshaw)
his sister → Van Buren Davis
her husband → Eliphas Davis
his father → Van Davis, Sr.
his father → Captain Reason Davis
his father → Capt. John David Davis
his father → Morgan David
his father → Maude Morgan
his mother → Catherine Prichard (ferch Watkin)
her sister → John "the Immigrant" Lewis
her son → Major John Lewis, of “Chemokins”
his son

https://www.geni.com/path/Cynthia-Curtis-A183502-US7875087-Tree-bui...

General Robert Lewis is the son of Sir Edward Lewis of Van and the proper descent to Warner Lewis Hall
Join us: https://www.facebook.com/groups/617498243379663

Many proof documents exist:
Reattach as a son to: profile Sir Edward Lewis of Van and the Lady Anne Somerset of Dorset

The father of Major John Lewis I is General Robert Lewis

Showing 31-60 of 65 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion