Alfonso XI the Just, King of Castile and León - No longer my ancestor?

Started by Private User on Sunday, August 30, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
Private User
8/30/2020 at 7:10 AM

On August 29th, 2017 he was my 21st great grandfather and believe me I bragged all over Facebook. Of course some people laughed, but since Geni had connected us, it didn't matter. In my mind it was absolutely true.
Today is August 30th, 2020 Geni says "@Alfonso XI the Just, King of Castile and León is your 10th great grandfather's wife's 9th great grandfather."
What this is really telling me is that nothing passed what I absolutely know to be true will be necessarily true. And why is that? Because mistakes are eventually caught, and corrected even if 1 day or 100 years go by - as this is a work in progress. Who knows, maybe when I look at this profile next year on August 29th, 2021, he will once again be my 21st great grandfather.

8/30/2020 at 8:01 AM

That's the in-law-line. Didn't you get a blood-line at all?

8/30/2020 at 8:08 AM

Dear Virginia.

After spending over 20 years in genealogy. From Family Tree Maker, and others like Geni. I had long time experienced that when every one enter their new profile with the same connection, but with a different lineage. Family trees has a tendency to alter the relationship to certain to most relationships.

Just keep in mind, that you have already established your lineage's, and stand fast with what you have now. All this change is just informing you that you have another, but different connection.

Be patient, and continue to make your tree grow. I hope, you will understand that we all have experience in what you have, and we have now.

Private User
8/30/2020 at 8:21 AM

The calculator is showing her bloodline and in-law line as one and the same thing. For me it is working normally. But it isn't normal for a blood relationship to come across as a verbatim repeat of the in-law one. For several hours this morning, Geni wouldn't load at all for me. But my grocery store website wouldn't either. Other websites loaded just fine. Smh. Idk.

8/30/2020 at 10:41 AM

Private User, many people, by nature, can be cruel. Ignore them. Be careful about what you proclaim publicly; and sit back and laugh. Every now and then Geni's calculator runs amok; if you've 'established' your paper-trail, then don't worry about it. Just hang in there with what you've got, and continue with your paper-trail.

8/30/2020 at 2:30 PM

Btw; The four of you are all my cousins, plus Alfonso XI. So Virginia, I bet you have blood lines too.

Private
8/30/2020 at 4:48 PM

I once found someone listed as my GGXnumber grandfather. Linked to a grandfather on my father's side, 8 or something generations back.

In following it back I got to his GGsomething-GF, and ran the descent check again to get the whole line in one. It came back to my Grandmother 8 or something generations back.

In fact it was the Grandmother wife of the Grandfather the other line traced to. I ran back through the generations, and found the family wound around to marrying descendants of the 10th or more GGF, at two different points in the line.

One of the disadvantages of ages where the average person never traveled more than 20 miles in a lifetime. Which, for most people, wasn't that long ago.

I have traveled over 4,000 miles in my lifetime, most of it inside this country, and that's just counting straight line distances. Most likely I would never have gone more tha 1,000 miles had I not enlisted.

Or, as the old saying goes, "War is God's way of teaching us geography."

Private
8/30/2020 at 6:10 PM

I was talking to my grand daughter about this sort of thing, and she asked me, do you really believe it is true?

My answer was, yes, because, if you go back 1,000 years you have a hell of a lot of ancestors. I believe, when you hit about 2,000 years you have more lines of descent than the total number of people in the world. Somewhere in there it hits more than the likely total population of the world throughout the existence of the human race.

So, you pick anyone from far enough back, and if that person has any surviving descendants you are probably one of them.

8/31/2020 at 11:25 PM

I think it needs to be reset by a curator. The in-law connection is shaky anyway, but there's a bloodline in the tree which is much better, through the gateway immigrant Thomas Owsley

https://www.geni.com/path/Alfonso-XI-the-Just-King-of-Castile-and-L...

This might be the line you saw before. It's still there. Just a case of getting the system to behave itself.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion