Curators: Please make this profile a Master Profile

Started by Mike Stangel on Friday, August 21, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1561-1590 of 1795 posts

Thank you Linda Zimmerman

Could we please MP US Representative Reuben Davis?

Gen. Reuben Davis, U.S. House of Representatives

Aaron Furtado Baldwin, UE9006698 -- You had his given name spelled wrong; there are actually two other pre-existing profiles for him on the site, though their wives and middle name conflict with the one you have. Let's try to sort all that out first?

Private User I have included links to his Congressional Biography, Find A Grave and will add additional source information

Sounds good. Once all the merging and conflicts are resolved, let us know. Thanks.

Brev. Lt. Col. Myles Walter Keogh

He was an Irish soldier. He served in the armies of the Papal States during the war for Italian unification in 1860, and was recruited into the Union Army during the American Civil War, serving as a cavalry officer, particularly under Brig. Gen. John Buford during the Gettysburg Campaign and the three-day Battle of Gettysburg. After the war, Keogh remained in the regular United States Army as commander of I Troop of the 7th Cavalry Regiment under George Armstrong Custer during the Indian Wars, until he was killed along with Custer and all five of the companies directly under Custer's command at the Battle of the Little Bighorn in 1876, rider of "Comanche," the celebrated equine survivor of the fight.

Private User

Done, please check. Great story!

Elwin Charles "Preacher" Roe
Major League Baseball Player. He was a left-handed pitcher for twelve seasons (1938, 1944 to 1954) with the St. Louis Cardinals, Pittsburgh Pirates and Brooklyn Dodgers.

Cynthia Curtis, A183502, US7875087,

Request sent to make him a MP.

Kevin

Thank you so much, Kevin Lawrence Hanit!
I made some updates and added some online links.

Holland Taylor
Actress most notably from Two and a Half Men, please make MP. Thanks.

Private User I changed Holland Taylor's relationship status from Partner to Wife, She and Sarah Paulson are married.

Private - I can’t find a reference for the marriage? As of 2022 I see “dating” via google search,

Erica Howton one of my sisters who lives in LA and NYC knows them and calls them wives,,, but maybe it was a commitment ceremony or something, so without the paper, I changed back to partner. I sent an email to my sister to ask.

I love original research. Thanks.

Do they live in one of the states that recognizes Common law marriage?
If so, then one needs to know what the requirements are in that state.

Private User same sex marriage is legal in all 50 states

On June 26, 2015, the U.S. Supreme Court held in Obergefell v. Hodges (5–4 decision) that the Fourteenth Amendment requires all states to grant same-sex marriages and recognize same-sex marriages granted in other states. The Court overruled its prior decision in Baker v. Nelson, which the Sixth Circuit had invoked as precedent.

“No longer may this liberty be denied,” Justice Anthony M. Kennedy wrote for the majority in the historic decision. “No union is more profound than marriage, for it embodies the highest ideals of love, fidelity, devotion, sacrifice and family. In forming a marital union, two people become something greater than once they were.”

Marriage is a “keystone of our social order,” Justice Kennedy said, adding that the plaintiffs in the case were seeking “equal dignity in the eyes of the law.”

The decision, which was the culmination of decades of litigation and activism, set off jubilation and tearful embraces across the country, the first same-sex marriages in several states, and resistance — or at least stalling — in others. It came against the backdrop of fast-moving changes in public opinion, with polls indicating that most Americans now approve of the unions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/27/us/supreme-court-same-sex-marria...

I think the question is were/are they legally married or in a common law state...

Aaron Furtado Baldwin, UE9006698 - I am totally aware that same-sex folks can get legally married. Sorry my post struck you as suggesting otherwise.
I was assuming if it were a state allowing Common Law Marriage that that would also apply to same-sex couples.
Do not know as PR pieces would have to refer to them as wives - if living together and they referred to each other that way sometimes when speaking to some, would that be enough?

Just how fussy are we here - if you have not seen the Marriage Certificate, does that mean on Geni you cannot mark someone as a spouse?
Or what do we require?

Tho I suppose if they are a Public figure and have not publicly referred to the relationship as a marriage, it may be more polite not to on Geni even if one had attended the marriage or had some other way of knowing.

And yes, think a Common Law Marriage in a state that recognizes it counts as being legally married - so I phrased it badly above -- not quite sure the terminology to use.

re: I think the question is were/are they legally married or in a common law state...

Not the question for me. For the celebrities we curate, it’s much more about what their public relations people put “on the record.”

Re: Tho I suppose if they are a Public figure and have not publicly referred to the relationship as a marriage, it may be more polite not to on Geni even if one had attended the marriage or had some other way of knowing.

Exactly. For “regular people” I think it’s more fluid. To require “proof of marriage” for my American pioneer ancestors is a nice to have, and generally sends us into giggle fits.

Private User & Private - done.

Mary Underwood
I did a lot of work untangling her from Mary Athearn

Cody Ko
A YouTuber. Thank you.

Showing 1561-1590 of 1795 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion