Blue Sky "Mary" Cornstalk - https://thecaseforblueskyandparkeradkins.com/ The REAL Story

Started by Dorene Private User on Monday, June 29, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 1-30 of 179 posts
6/29/2020 at 3:20 PM

https://thecaseforblueskyandparkeradkins.com/

I am a confirmed member of the Adkins family. I am the author of the blog link posted above.

I am attempting to set the story straight. My large family has been disputing the information contained in the Parker Adkins & Blue Sky blog before she published her blog and continue to this day. I and others of my family feel that part of our family identity has been hijacked. My family has carried this oral tradition UNCHANGED for 250 years.

The owner of the Parker Adkins & Blue Sky blog claims her husband is a member of this Adkins family. He is not. She insinuates that she has a deep understanding of our family, their history and their relationships. She does not. She claims that the Charity and Keziah test subjects' mitochondrial test results upon which she bases her claims contain only English and Irish results...that is incorrect. The owner of that blog has NEVER shown the Charity test subject's results to ANYONE, including never having shown the test results to the Charity test subject...the owner of that DNA. That fact alone should send up red flags for all of you.

She claims that I am trying to discredit her and that I am being irrational...this is not true.

I have had both the Charity and Keziah test subjects tested, mitochondrial and autosomal -- and the fact of the matter is that the Charity AND Keziah test subjects DO have Native American in BOTH their mitochondrial and autosomal test results. Please read the facts documented in my blog above. Please unlock the Parker Adkins and Blusky Cornstalk profiles so that the correct information can replace the erroneous information.

Please help us to reinstate our family members and our traditions.

Thank you for your assistance.

Dorene Soiret

Private User
8/6/2021 at 7:14 AM

The bottom line is that *you have to prove* that Cornstalk had a daughter who was known as "Bluesky", and you have to prove it with hard primary documentation (mention in a charter or treaty, for instance). It's *your* claim,, proof is up to *you*.

I know all too well that "oral tradition" isn't worth the paper it isn't written on, without confirming hard documentation. Lots of people still believe the romantic fiction about "Lady Grace O'Neil" - who was actually plain Grace Neale from Northamptonshire (and my nth great-aunt). And I *was* rather disappointed to learn that my paternal grandmother's paternal grandmother wasn't a Custis, as she had always maintained - she was a Cutler. Close, but no cigar. On the other hand, she *was* a wrong-side-of-the-blanket descendant of Col. Edmund Scarburgh, and if I had continued blindly hunting Custises, I would never have found that out.

As for DNA studies, well...there *are* companies who will sell naive customers a bill of goods about their "Native ancestry" which isn't any such thing - because all they have done is compare results with other customers who claim Native ancestry (and who may be wrong).

Interestingly, Roberta Estes, a well-known researcher and blog publisher, explored her own roots and came to the surprising conclusion that yes she did have traces of Native ancestry - but it *wasn't* on the line that family "oral tradition" had confidently asserted was the source, and actually came from a line that no one had previously suspected.

Private
8/6/2021 at 8:20 AM

Its pretty bold that anyone with no known Native ancestry would claim oral traditions aren't worth anything . Do any of the people here arguing with descendants actually have this Adkins line?

Private User
8/6/2021 at 9:22 AM

That's neither here nor there, Renee. Facts are facts and fiction is fiction, regardless of who is or isn't related to whom.

The rest of us are still waiting for proof that Cornstalk had a daughter called "Bluesky" - just saying so doesn't make it so.

It should further be noted that there has been a major change in this "family tradition" - and very recently. The original claim was that a son "Littleberry" of Parker Adkins was of Native ancestry - his unusual name was taken to be evidence, though it also turns out to be a very rare English surname (and by that time the colonists were into using surnames as first names just like back home in England). Charity, being next in birth order, soon got swept into the story.

BUT, until mtDNA evidence explicitly spelled out that Charity and Keziah *had* to be full sisters with the same mother (yes the results *are* obtainable if you know where to look) - Keziah was *never before* claimed to share "Native" ancestry.

And the *ONLY* "evidence" that their shared haplotype (H3b1b1) was anything but European comes from a company that...well, let's just say they take their customers' say-so as "proof" and never cross-check.

Private
8/6/2021 at 9:55 AM

Are you a Blue sky descendant? Why are you here to argue about it? Why do you even care so much? Let it be.

Private User
8/6/2021 at 10:15 AM

Renee, you're not answering any of the posed questions and you are not helping.

The *very first thing* that must be proven, before any other considerations enter into it, is that this "Bluesky" person *really did exist*. And for that, it is necessary to show that she was named, and her relationship to Cornstalk mentioned, on some kind of contemporary document.

And everyone on the "Pro" side has been dancing around this obstacle and throwing up clouds of distraction, including "Are you related? If not, why do you bother?"

Private User
8/6/2021 at 10:32 AM

One Oral history says Blue sky took a trip from her home OH, thru WV to meet General Lewis with a delegation of piece. she was made a Chief going thru Lewisburg WV back to Point Pleasant to try making piece a yr or 2 before the battle of Point Pleasant ? was her English given name Margret ? this oral history comes from the family of John Wood. just wanted to share hope they get proof they need...

Private
8/6/2021 at 11:52 AM

You answered none of my questions either. All of the information has been provided for you by Dorene and Tina.

8/6/2021 at 1:05 PM

At last a clue she actually existed. Is this in writing and is there a link?

One Oral history says Blue sky took a trip from her home OH, thru WV to meet General Lewis with a delegation of piece. she was made a Chief going thru Lewisburg WV back to Point Pleasant to try making piece a yr or 2 before the battle of Point Pleasant ? was her English given name Margret ? this oral history comes from the family of John Wood ...

—-

To Renee, Tina, etc.

Geni is a world family tree where we are all connected and therefore, all up in each other’s business. Additionally, Cornstalk is a historical notable, and we (all of us) need to be as accurate and documented as possible.

Proof of a claim is supplied by the people making the claim. Once that is done, expect scrutiny and skepticism; That’s peer review. If you’re not interested in that process, use your private tree, and not Geni.

8/6/2021 at 1:35 PM

"That’s peer review."

100% agree. This is why I use Geni...

To vet and compare and confirm. Until we can do that, it has to be worked on offsite

I have a (two times great??? I don't recall the generation) Lou Iney Cornstalk but have not added her here because i have nothing to go on until I dig in with my DNA matches and for now, that remains on hold

:)

8/6/2021 at 3:55 PM

Renee Butler, thank you for chiming in. I don't know what other proof is necessary. I've provided a link to written proof. I have provided extensive DNA evidence. As far as Cornstalk's being a historical notable...I don't see the profiles for Tecumseh or Chief Silverheels' being locked.

Hi, Erica, as far as the documentation that I cited on the other conversation, Shutz is noted as being an authority on his profile. Same wording, same source. Bluesky IS listed as a daughter of Chief Cornstalk. I quote from Chief Cornstalk's Geni profile:

"The parents of Hokolesqua, known as Cornstalk, are unknown. He said in a speech that his father was White Fish, a Shawnee man. The Moravian Missionaries say he was the son or grandson of Paxinosa. In any case he was not the son of anyone named Opeechan Stream ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Schutz notes that Cornstalk’s ‘siblings were Nonhelema ( "grenadier Squaw"; Catherine), Silverheels, and Nimwha. Some say his father was Paxinosa, ‘Hard Striker’ (not the father of Tecumseh as some think in error, but a well-known Pennsylvania Shawnee chief). Some of his children that have been mentioned are Oceano, Elinipso (Elinipisco, Elinispisco Nipseko), Aracroma (The Aracroma legend, married Boiling Baker), Greenbrier (name from the Greenbrier area of the Kanawha River?), Bluesky, Wynepuechiska (Peter), Wissecapoway, Piaserka (The Wolf). Other names mentioned are Mary, Elizabeth, Esther, Peter, Nern-Pe-Nes-Quah. Keigh-taugh-quah. Elizabeth See was a white captive Cornstalk married prior to her repatriation. Cornstalk is said to have been born in western Pennsylvania at least by 1720, but some say 1708 or 1710, and moved with his family when he was about 10 to Ohio.

http://shawnee-bluejacket.com/chiefs.html "

Private User
8/6/2021 at 8:12 PM

The profile for Hokolesqua, Sachem Cornstalk has been poly-merged at least 45 times. Determining who posted what in the Overview and when is not a straightforward task, because merged-in information doesn't tend to show up as "revisions".

Also, the Overview is a place for analysis, discussion, and alternate interpretations. It is *NOT* an authoritative source in and of itself.

Private
8/6/2021 at 10:26 PM

Googling the blog and seeing the participants' charts of matches to the named Bluejacket kits shows me that there is a participant named White who matched most of the Bluejacket kits in the same way, same chrome and segment on chrome 8 and the visual lines shows the triangulation easily there; but, a a half match generation cM level back before the 10th generation and it would then need to be put to the segments ap in Tier One to ferret out the common ancestry with those matching in the same way by clicking on the 10,000 kit comparison option. Then the work begins to contact the triangulators in the same way and hope some of the participating matchers can and will work together to find out who was the MRCA as it is clear that Bluejackets could be matching to the White named pariticipant in a way that is not via the Blue Sky connection as MRCA. What would help is to run that 8th chrome segment where there is a pile up and put it into the Segments app and do the leg work to connect to the matching cousins there and also run that particular chrome on the Admixture Euro Genes Ap and see if any native is common there for the Bluejacket matchers and the White named participant. It could be replicated except that the gedcom kit numbers are obscured. The other idea would be to use many more Bluejacket kits and make sure they are paper vetted. Unless you get about 50 people to compare, the whole genomic picture is going to be sparse; but, I can say that there sure should be some 7.0 and higher matches on the 1 - 22 chromes if there was a less than 10 generation common and I can not see any cM of that standard as you would expect in half cousins even, at 7 gens back max. The matches all look like they are in the 15oo era and the ativism shows up with a few on the X or the 23rd chrome where a few 8 cM are "Sticky Gene" obvious, but the X is back at the 1500 era or earlier so that would also not be helpful to a generational common that is in the range of the Cornstalks. There should be a few Cornstalk kits in the media section of some of the Bear Clan participants and those would be of use to put into a large batch group chromosome browser. It is interesting that when there is a common, it is absolutely obvious and usually it shows up on a group batch run of say 15 kits but sometimes less and sometimes more; just depends on what shows up on the individual snippets of the testing results per participant since you are paying a few hundred dollars for what amounts to 1/32 of a total genomic picture of what it is that you could have received. That is why group chromosome work is needed. That is why you need to set the Tier One comparison at the 10,000 participant level and dig into what is making a prominent number kin to each other and take into account all the endogamy that exists, if any. When doing ISOGG Standard atDna work, it is needed that the results that are public are able to be revetted. That is why Gedcom now has trees and within it, the ability to confer back and forth with the project based parties claiming descent from a common. It requires large numbers to determine the matches back beyond gen 6 to 10th gen.

Private User
8/6/2021 at 10:52 PM

The whole problem is a combination of "rice on the chessboard" (1 +2 + 4 + 8 + 16 +32 +64 + 128 + 256 + 512 + 1024 + 2048 + 4096....) and infinite reshuffling and dealing from infinite decks of cards. How much information you get from each ancestor is basically "luck of the draw".

8/6/2021 at 11:13 PM

Lakomäki, Sami. "Table of Contents." In Gathering Together: The Shawnee People through Diaspora and Nationhood, 1600–1870, V-Vi. Yale University Press, 2014. Accessed August 7, 2021. http://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctt1bhknx1.2.

Private
8/6/2021 at 11:33 PM

That link has this: 1 “The Greatest Travellers in America”: The Shawnee Diaspora, 1600–1725
1 “The Greatest Travellers in America”: The Shawnee Diaspora, 1600–1725 (pp. 13-41)
“They are Stout, Bold, Cunning, and the greatest Travellers in America.”¹

Thus Edmond Atkin, a seasoned British Indian trader and the future superintendent of Indian affairs, described Shawnees in 1754. Like other colonists, Atkin was baffled by the Shawnees. Since the late seventeenth century, seemingly countless bands of these people had crisscrossed the eastern third of North America, turning up now on the lower Mississippi River, next in Charles Town, Carolina, then on the streets of Albany, New York. Equally baffled by such mobility and dispersal, generations of subsequent scholars condemned the “sudden appearances and disappearances” of the Shawnees as...

8/7/2021 at 12:12 AM

Yes, I noticed that. Much earlier than Parker Adkins & Cornstalk. Really need to see the article - anyone with Jstor access? My “independent scholar” ID doesn’t get me in.

8/8/2021 at 9:41 AM

David Cremeans. I was away yesterday.

Unfortunately, you apparently do not have all of the pieces of the puzzle nor all of the facts. I am sorry, but your analysis is not correct. All of the lines have been fully vetted by Carlyle Hinshaw, a Federally enrolled Shawnee and Cherokee tribal member and genetic genealogist of note as I mentioned in another conversation.

You state that you believe the matches are too low and that the matches were small and line up at the time frame of the 1500s...that is definitely not correct. Even if you go back to the settlers' in Jamestown arriving -- that doesn't make sense; that wasn't until, I think it was, 1607.

All of the DNA matrices that have been run and the triangulation and chromosome mapping that have been performed line correctly up at Bluesky Cornstalk, Chief Cornstalk, Peter Cornstalk, Chief Silverheels, Tecumseh, The Prophet. Because I do not have it posted on the blog yet, does not mean that the analyses have not been performed. The charts are clear. I would ask you to please take the time to study the charts before commenting. What you write is a misrepresentation of the data presented. If you study the chromosome mapping/centimorgan value length matches, there are innumerable matches at the 4.5 cM level and much higher.

I invite you to read the opening paragraphs on The Proof page. Each family member has matches of over 7.0 up to, I think one of the matches is at 19.0 cM. Of course there's the shuffle of the DNA cards, so some have stronger matches than others...but I know the EXACT family relationships as well as Carlyle Hinshaw and others no mentioned here.

Since you are a Cremeans, perhaps you need to have a talk with my cousin Bob Cremeans, also a well-respected genetic genealogist He's vetted the family lines and the DNA.. His mother's DNA is included on the main page of the blog.

8/8/2021 at 9:43 AM

The "White" participant is Tammy White Lettell...Bluesky descendant through the Adkins.

8/8/2021 at 11:17 AM

David, you might be interested to know that besides Adkins, we have VERY HEAVY Cremeans and Estep...we're probably cousins somewhere along the line too ;)

8/8/2021 at 11:20 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention that the Matching Segment Search and the Generation matrices are Tier 1 tools on GEDmatch. :)

Private User
8/8/2021 at 11:36 AM

"Really need to see the article - anyone with Jstor access? My 'independent scholar' ID doesn't get me in."

I'm happy to pull up JSTOR articles if people have specific titles you're looking for. The catch is that, due to copyright restrictions, I can't upload the articles to Geni. But I can provide excerpts, and I can definitely give links in case anyone wants to buy the articles.

Also, while this doesn't help with establishing the proposed parent-child relationship here, I can cite some of Cornstalk's other relationships using JSTOR articles. More citations never hurt anything. :)

Are there alternate names for Blue Sky that I should be searching?

Is there a chance that the Shawnee Tribe has ever published anything about Blue Sky?

8/8/2021 at 12:02 PM

There’s a lot to search for, thank you.

From https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/person/tree/103160429/person/1... there’s a similar oral tradition from a Hawkins family.

”Mary Elizabeth (Littleberry) Hawkins, wife of .William Charles Hawkins, Jr.. Family legend has her parents were Shawnee Chief Hokolesqua "Cornstalk" and Helizikinopo "Sister of Big Snake". There is no proof. Her name would have been Kisekwi-Waskwi, "Blue Sky". She took the name Mary when she married. .. There is no accounting for the maiden name of "Littlebury". Her 3rd great grandchildren do not have 1.5% native American DNA, which they should have if it were true. This legend is therefore is not true.”

There was a silver miner (?). Named John Swift seen as a first husband for Bluesky. Or of her sister Elizabeth.

—-

There are many children and wives seen for Cornstalk and conflicting parents, but I believe his recent biography has only two sons identified.

—-

It appears relationships are claimed with Blue Jacket and Tecumseh. I am not familiar.

—-

I have seen SilverHeels and “the Grenadier Shaw” as Cornstalks siblings. Not sure the Geni tree reflects their descent with accuracy.

8/8/2021 at 12:04 PM

If "Charity" and "Keziah" are pivotal profiles on lines proving a theory you want shown on Geni as validated, please construct their trees on Geni with sourced proof on each generation of their direct ancestry link to the profiles you say they descend from: Is it Hokolesqua, Sachem Cornstalk

8/8/2021 at 12:08 PM

Tammy White-Leffell is also a direct descendant of Cremeans :)

8/8/2021 at 12:08 PM

Please refer to the project: https://www.geni.com/projects/Working-with-sources/18201 for what counts as valid sources in genealogy and on Geni.

8/8/2021 at 12:09 PM

Sharon Doubell, Yes. And there are trees on Geni.

8/8/2021 at 12:09 PM

This is what https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Shawnee-45 has for Cornstalk’s family. I don’t know if there’s any descent - doesn’t look like it.

There is no reliable source for the name of a wife or wives.

Hokolesqua had at least two sons, Cutemwha (The Wolf) and Elinipsico who died with his father at Point Pleasant. [3] [8]

Wissecapoway, aka Captain Morgan, was a Shawnee held captive by Lord Dunmore during 1775 in Williamsburg, VA. He is also said to be a son of Cornstalk, the Shawnee Chief. [9] Dunmore later released him. Nothing more is known about him.

A unnamed daughter was mentioned in the pension application of a Henry Aleshite who stated he was at Point Pleasant when Cornstalk and a white man who was married to Cornstalk's daughter were murdered. Her name is not given, nor is the name of the 'white man.' [10]

Peter Cornstalk (Wynepeuchsika), a noted Shawnee chief, was apparently not Cornstalk's son, as is sometimes written.[11]

• 10. "Revolutionary War Pensions," Virginia, Henry Alshite, digital images, Fold3 (https://www.fold3.com : accessed 3 Feb 2018); transcript available here (PDF); see second page.
  • 11. Sugden, Blue Jacket: Warrior of the Shawnees, p. 283
Showing 1-30 of 179 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion