Need Assistance Confirming Connections

Started by Debbie Gambrell on Monday, May 11, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 25 posts
5/11/2020 at 5:27 PM

@Mariota Maxwell of Calderwood

I was adding this ancestor to my Ancestry tree and, as usual, comparing the connections on Geni as a guideline but I ran into issues because as I've just noted in the About section all indicate the current Geni connection may not be correct, as they all have her father as Robert Maxwell, not John Maxwell and they provide sources, in some cases, including Scottish Peerage. So at this point I really don't know who her actual father was and would appreciate help from anyone who has access to more documented sources than I do.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Debbie Gambrell

5/11/2020 at 5:52 PM

The about is correct and so is the tree.

MARIOTA MAXWELL Lady Boyd

Mariota Maxwell, here treated, is the daughter of Sir John Maxwell of Calderwood and his first wife Margaret Borthwick. She married Robert Lord Boyd, High Chamberlain of Scotland: "and was by him mother of the first Earl of Arran, and Elizabeth Countess of Angus. Memoirs of the Maxwells of Pollock, p. 465 The Scots Peerage V: p. 145

5/11/2020 at 5:55 PM

I should say - as best we know. Private User Might be the best person to say why Robert Maxwell is less likely but did you review the information in Sir John Maxwell of Calderwood profile?

5/11/2020 at 5:58 PM

No, I just basically starting searching for documentation for her father, not John or Robert in particular, just whoever had documentation. I came up with nothing about John and all about Robert, as I noted in the profile. I'll check out John's profile now. Odd he didn't show up documented in my search at all.

5/11/2020 at 6:01 PM

At a quick glance, Mariota is only mentioned in John's profile but not documented. He is well documented but under the section listed Evidence from the National Records of Scotland, Mariota isn't mentioned, only Elizabeth Maxwell, his daughter by Margaret Borthwick is documented in that source.

5/11/2020 at 6:10 PM

Wait! I guess it all began to blur for me because looking at the well-documented source that referenced the Scottish Peerage, that one DOES have John as her father. Her husband's name is Robert and I guess that's why Robert stuck in my head when I looked at it. Looking at it again, it's John.

I wonder why Wikipedia has Robert. I haven't found a big error like that on there before and they have it sourced, but I just can't check the sources. They reference Cokayne, George Edward, ed. (1912). Complete peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, extant, extinct or dormant (Bass to Canning). 2. London: The St. Catherine Press, ltd. pp. 260, 261, but I can't access it.

The Wikipedia article citing Robert as her father also cites https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Encyclop%C3%A6dia_Britannica_Eleventh..., but I could access it and it doesn't mention Robert Boyd's wife at all, so no help there.

5/11/2020 at 6:13 PM

I just like nice, tidy documentation, not cases like this where there is evidence for both both men being her father, which we know can't be the case. After having opened the can of worms, I guess all I can do is go with the best documentation which seems to be the reference to the Scottish Peerage that lists John as her father. It does make me curious why others, including Wikipedia, have Robert as her father. Usually Wikipedia helps clear up such confusion, not add to it.

Thanks, Erica.

5/11/2020 at 6:17 PM

Wikipedia is not using the Scots Peerage or contemporary documents for the marriage of Robert Boyd, instead cites Victorian era peerage reports like Cockayne. Don’t trust Britannica 1911 either. There are only one good general source for Scots genealogy - The Scots Peerage. When you see a bold point about on Geni, our friend Neil in Scotland has been at it, and works with curators (who are not in Scotland) to ensure our medieval Scots tree is as good as can be. We are lucky to have his assistance.

5/11/2020 at 6:18 PM

Geni is better than Wikipedia in many instances, including this one. Also remember it’s an article about Robert Boyd, not the Maxwells. So the wife citations are sloppy.

5/11/2020 at 6:21 PM

NB I’ve found plenty of Wikipedia errors!

5/11/2020 at 6:21 PM

Yeah, in the Britannica article his wife is simply 'his wife', not even a name.

5/11/2020 at 6:23 PM

Thanks for telling me about Neil. From now on I'll know if I see his notes in About on a Scottish profile that it has already had all the necessary validation work done. Good to know!

5/11/2020 at 6:25 PM

This is the page from the Maxwell book that lists Mariotta as John’s daughter and wife of Robert Boyd, it was referenced on John’s profile:

https://archive.org/stream/memoirsofmaxwev100fras#page/465/mode/1up

5/11/2020 at 6:33 PM

Erica, these old eyes can't see that and my laptop seems unable to enlarge it. You know I trust what you tell me, so no worries. We've worked together enough that I know if I actually find an error, you acknowledge it and help make any needed corrections. And I know that if you tell me it's already correct, I can trust that it is. This one just raised the question in my mind since there appeared to be no consensus on who her father was. Now I'll know that when it comes to the Scottlish lines, Scottish Peerage is the source that counts above the others referenced, even if it's on Wikipedia or Britannica, whatever. Good lesson to have learned.

5/11/2020 at 6:39 PM

This is a fascinating conversation about a line of mine. Thanks Erica Howton, Debbie Gambrell, and the Knowledgable Neil.

5/11/2020 at 8:09 PM

Susanne Floyd, well, you and I are obviously related then because they're direct ancestors for me as well. :)

I have to bow to Erica for continuing to educate me. She has been an awesome tutor and curator to work with this past year I haven't 'met' Neil yet, just learned about his invaluable contribution working with the Scottish lines. I sooo love that Geni has all these wonderful people dedicated to helping us validate the lines!

5/11/2020 at 11:55 PM

It appears we three, are related, as I am a direct descendant of Sir John Maxwell of Calderwood. Thank you Erica and many thanks to Neil, for all your work!

5/12/2020 at 5:25 AM

Yep, Katherine, and you're even more closely related to my son on his paternal side. :)

5/12/2020 at 6:00 AM

Yep, Debbie Gambrell, but we are closer kin I believe through Sir Thomas Morgan, of Machen and Tredegar, MP, our direct ancestor who makes us 11th cousins twice removed. They are an interesting bunch too.

5/12/2020 at 6:12 AM

I love the Morgan lines. Straight line of males from Wales down to my mom being the first female in my direct Morgan line , so it's kinda special to me. :)

5/15/2020 at 11:03 PM

My favorite “used to be my ancestor” in this group is Archibald "Bell the Cat" Douglas, 5th Earl of Angus

The only genealogy name that’s even better Is “the Vicar of Hell.”

5/16/2020 at 7:41 AM

lol

Private User
5/16/2020 at 11:58 AM

Bell The cat , my 15th GGF :)

Archibald "Bell the Cat" Douglas, 5th Earl of Angus is your 16th great grandfather.
You
→ Geneive Melba Hicks
your mother → John Mac Emerson
her father → Elma Emerson
his mother → James William Swaim
her father → Sarah Marelda Swaim
his mother → Mary "Polly" Baucom (Wilson)
her mother → Josiah Wilson
her father → Eleanor Wilson
his mother → Mary Elizabeth Carruthers
her mother → Captain James H Morrison
her father → John Morrison
his father → Capt. James Morrison
his father → Janet Sharp
his mother → Lord John Sharp, Jr
her father → Isobel Sharp
his mother → Marion McGowan
her mother → Marion Douglas of Angus
her mother → Archibald "Bell the Cat" Douglas, 5th Earl of Angus
her father

Archibald "Bell the Cat" Douglas, 5th Earl of Angus is your 16th great grandfather.
You
→ Geneive Melba Hicks
your mother → John Mac Emerson
her father → Elma Emerson
his mother → James William Swaim
her father → Sarah Marelda Swaim
his mother → Mary "Polly" Baucom (Wilson)
her mother → Josiah Wilson
her father → Eleanor Wilson
his mother → Mary Elizabeth Carruthers
her mother → Captain James H Morrison
her father → John Morrison
his father → Capt. James Morrison
his father → Janet Sharp
his mother → Lord John Sharp, Jr
her father → Isobel Sharp
his mother → Marion McGowan
her mother → Marion Douglas of Angus
her mother → Archibald "Bell the Cat" Douglas, 5th Earl of Angus