Abigail Hughes (Jackson) - Separating Martha's (wives of different Jackson's, Edward & William)

Started by Dan Cornett on Thursday, April 9, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts
4/9/2020 at 6:35 AM

The information on these two Martha Jackson's (both claiming birth surnames of Miller, currently) seems to be cross-confused.
It is doubtful they were one person who married both of these men. I've temporarily added suffixes to their names for clarity until their details are resolved (separated).
We currently have:
Martha Jackson, who married William Jackson
and
Martha Jackson, wife of Edward, who married William Jackson

It seems evident that William Jackson is the father of Abigail Hughes.

It would be great if folks could help separate the identity of these two Martha's, getting them their correct 'basic' information & cleaning up their About info.

Private User
4/9/2020 at 7:16 AM

I know Find a Grave isn't exactly a valid source, but I found this information on her memorial bio that might explain it. Here it is:

I am not sure if you were aware but her parents have been proved not to be Edward and Martha (Miller) Jackson.

Several possible birth locations are offered for Abigail Jackson (1) is Washington Co., PA and (2) Wilkes Co., NC. I have no proof records of either though the DAR accepts the Washington Co. PA location. I've also found the 1880 census of her 71 year old son Stephen which says his mother was born in Georgia. It is possible she was born in NJ as so many charts say; because her father William was born there. But I'm thinking most of those charts say NJ because we know that's where Edward's children were born and early researchers thought she was Edward's daughter. LATER: Also her daughter Martha says her mother was born in Georgia on the 1880 census. So this 1880 Georgia reference is a new area to look for William's marriage and birth of his children.

Conflicting info about Abigail being named Sarah Abigail and a dau of Edward Jackson of Harrison Co., VA has been refuted in the Conflicting Data section of the Jackson website: http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com

Marriage info was taken from image of the actual bond signed by William Jackson and Jonathan Hughes. The date is clearly 11 July 1786. The image is available in the Conflicting Data section of the above web site. (Here is that link: http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/conflictingSarahandAbig...)

In 1786 William Jackson signs marriage bond for Abigale Jackson to Jonathan Hughes. Jonathan was born in Harrison County (W)VA; he enlisted and served in various locations during the Revolutionary War and after the war, he became an itinerant schoolmaster. He went to Wilkes County, North Carolina in 1783 and married there in 1786 to Abigail Jackson. By 1808 Jonathan and Abigail moved to his home area of Harrison County, Virginia where several of their children were born, raised and married there. Jonathan and Abigail spent time in Ohio and Indiana and in 1835 went back to Harrison County "because I have children who settled there" per his pension application.

As mentioned on our link: http://www.jacksonfamilygenealogy.com/pages/conflictingSarahandAbig... There are three pages that you should view. The DAR is already aware of this conflict. Edward who married Martha Jackson was never known as William. His brother is William.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/55441313/abigail-hughes

4/9/2020 at 1:28 PM

Found this....

Mahitable Jackson formerly Woods
Born about 1736 [location unknown]
Daughter of [father unknown] and [mother unknown]
[sibling(s) unknown]
Wife of William Jackson — married 4 Oct 1758 in Morristown, Morris, New Jersey
Descendants
Mother of Rebecca (Jackson) Fairchild, Nancy (Jackson) Shelley and Abigail (Jackson) Hughes
Died about 1774 [location unknown]
Profile managers: Larry Shelley [send private message] and Marilyn Vanderville [send private message]
Profile last modified 24 Mar 2020 | Created 20 Mar 2020 | Last significant change:
24 Mar 2020
19:37: Janie (Jackson) Kimble edited the data for Mahitable (Woods) Jackson (abt.1736-abt.1774). (Merged Unknown-375459 into Woods-13624: found the unknown 1st wife of Wm Jackson-22052) [Thank Janie for this]
This page has been accessed 26 times.

Biography
Mahitable was born ABOUT 1736 and her marriage to William Jackson is recorded in the book "History of the First Presbyterian Church, Morristown, New Jersey. No death record or grave has been found.
Her husband William's 1810 Will mentions 4 sons and "all my other children". Oscar Burton Robbins' Book records that William "removed to Tennessee before the Revolution. He had two wives. By the first 15 children; by the 2nd eleven children. There were 19 of these children living in 1808 (sic) at the time of his death." So finding the other children is an ongoing challenge. Aside from the 4 sons mentioned in his Will - the daughters of Mahitable and William have been determined by exhaustive research and in the case of Nancy by auDNA matching.
This profile is NOT to be confused with Monmouth Co. Marriage: Bills, Hannah, Monmouth, and William Jackson, Jr., Monmouth 1757 May 19. (the Jr. on William's name proves this is NOT the s/o Gen. Joseph Jackson of Morris Co. New Jersey!!)
Sources
History of the First Presbyterian Church, Morristown, N.J., Part II; The combined registers, from 1742 to 1885; pg 115 available at http://books.google.com/books/about/History_of_the_First_Presbyteri...
Robbins, Oscar Burton,; "History of the Jackson Family of Hempstead, Long Island", 1951, Loveland, Colorado.

4/10/2020 at 5:54 AM

Let's re-fresh: (apparently I didn't name them correctly!). There are two different Martha's (I'm pretty sure) who married two different men. Their profiles currently contain the same information ... which is not correct.

The goal is to correct the information, and relationships to parents & children, so that those two Martha's are different -- and correct (as best known).

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion