Started by Debbie Gambrell on Tuesday, March 17, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 17 posts
3/17/2020 at 5:16 PM

@Needham Bryan

I'm trying to make sense of this document that lists the early Bryan family ties and doesn't mention the MacLand family at all:

https://www.ancestry.com/mediaui-viewer/collection/1030/tree/164966...

and this memorial listing Alice Needham as William Bryan I's wife, not Alice MacLand:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/185679160/alice-bryan

Either I've gotten myself confused with all the same-named males in this family, which is possible, or else I don't know how Alice MacLand AND Alice Needham both fit into the family lines, or if they do.

With this Geni profile and it's connections Alice Needham being his wife makes sense of subsequent males being named Needham rather than MacLand and the Needham wife is sourced back to at least this 1900 reference from The NC historical and genealogical register.

Is it possible that the son John mentioned in the article as the son of William Bryan I who immigrated to America and was assumably married to Alice Needham the same John who had a son named William who married Alice MacLand? If so, that would seem to make all the pieces fit 'I think'.

Any help would be appreciated.

Private User
3/18/2020 at 3:11 AM

Good Luck with these Needhams and Bryans. I have them all up and down my line and the names mix and match and are all over the place. I get a headache just trying to figure out the closest 5 generations here in North Carolina.

3/18/2020 at 12:38 PM

Ditto what Arthur said. The Bryan(t)s are a genealogy nightmare.

I recently heard from an experienced researcher, maybe I can get him to look at the question.

3/18/2020 at 12:43 PM

Randall Thompson You wrote to me about Luke Bryan

Any insight into Needham Bryan / Alice MacLand?

3/27/2020 at 3:31 PM

Get your self a membership to the FamilySearch.org and then access this posting. The membership is free. The Bryans that I am related to are all on there and some of them are related to Daniel Boone and my 4th Gr-grandfather, Bazel Boren who was married to Susannah [Bryan] 1st cousin of Rebecca [Bryan] Boone, wife of Daniel Boone, explorer of Kentucky and Tennessee https://www.familysearch.org/photos/artifacts/19956789?cid=mem_copy

3/27/2020 at 3:41 PM

One thing I had forgotten to mention to Debbie Gambrell - the Needham maiden name is a fabrication.

Curator note: for Alice Bryant

daughter of Lord Needham" is most likely a myth or fabrication. There is NO proof either Lord Needham whose dates match could have had a daughter named Alice

So any documents are simply repeating a myth.

3/27/2020 at 3:43 PM

The Findagrave is particularly bad, with a fake portrait, no less.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/185679160/alice-bryan

3/27/2020 at 4:45 PM

Randall Thompson I don't like FamilySearch. Every connection to me on there has errors in it. I fixed one part of my tree there that was very flawed but someone changed it all to the erros and I don't have the time or inclination to keep trying to fix it. Bottom line, I don't trust much of what I see on there unless I can find validation elsewhere. I much prefer Geni and Ancestry.

I am related to the Boone's several ways, being a Morgan descendant myself (so related to Sarah Morgan Boone, and sharing the much farther back Bohun connection to the Boone lines, as well as the Bryan cousin lines. Just a variety of connections there, so you and I are surely related multiple ways. lol

Erica Howton I wasn't aware of the fabrication but that explains why I couldn't find anything validating Alice Bryant (MacLand).

3/27/2020 at 5:13 PM

After you get the membership, it will make it possible for you access a whole lot of information on the Bryan families. In the meantime, I am going to see if there is any connection between your Bryans' and mine. Susannah [Bryan] Boren was my 4th Gr-grandmother and often accompanied her husband, Bazel and even fought beside him in skirmishes with Blackfish, War Chief of the Chillicothe division of the Shawnee Tribe. She was also involved with him in numerous battles with the British and I believe she was with him when he defeated and killed Major Patrick Ferguson (inventor of the Ferguson Rifle) on Kings Mountain, in North Carolina, on 7 October 1780.

3/27/2020 at 5:25 PM

You will find my records to be fairly accurate because, when changes are made and are not correct, I make them prove to me that their entries are correct or remove them. My records are from journals and books that were written in the times and are reliable sources. Like this one: https://www.familysearch.org/photos/artifacts/19956789?cid=mem_copy

3/27/2020 at 5:26 PM

It would be wonderful if everyone was as diligent about accuracy. I think everything that can be should be documented with validating sources.

3/27/2020 at 5:40 PM

I am always instantly informed of any changes and/or additions made on any of my tree and yes, there have been a few that I have had to take to task. Once I have helped them make the corrections, they become better and more accurate on their researches, as everyone should be.

3/27/2020 at 6:28 PM

https://www.familysearch.org/photos/artifacts/58910885?cid=mem_copy This is my Bryan Family line back to royalty from my 4th Gr-grandmother. I don't know if it helps you or not but, I have checked it out and it is correct.

3/27/2020 at 7:22 PM

I'm a Bryan descedant, so I'm definitely interested in checking it out. I hadn't seen it before, so thanks for sharing the link! :)

3/28/2020 at 5:30 AM

I am a descendant from this bouillabaisse of Bryan/Bryant/et.al. variations of the surname as well, on ‘Both’ paternal and maternal sides. My problem has always been ‘Veracity’ — the Bryan Bryant et.al. Variations in surname have always been mythical and mysterious. I am Very suspect of ‘Find a Grave’ and virtually all other genealogical companies & renditions.

Keep on plug-in’

3/28/2020 at 6:07 PM

We cannot find surviving children of Sir Francis Bryan, KB, ‘The Vicar of Hell’ so the royalty ancestry doesn’t hold up on this path.

Debbie,
Hi Cousin, i am a Bryan and Bryant descendant. I want to say that Alice was a MacLand. I descend from Bryan on dads side, and Bryant on moms side. Maybe i could be of some help to you. Let me know.

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion