Started by Michael Tabacinic on Wednesday, January 29, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 14 posts
1/29/2020 at 8:48 PM

R' Mordechai Mardush's description reads:
"R' Mordecai Auerbach, A.B.D. Bomberg and Kremenets, son of Reb David Marx Wohl, zum weissen Schwan ABD Rawa whose sister was the mother of Rabbi David Oppenheim, son of Reb Avigdor, husband of the sister of the Ta”z, daughter of Reb Shmuel of Ludmir"

So first off:
1) What is the correct way to read this??
a) "R' MM, son of R' Dovid, whose sister was the mother of R' David Oppenheim (son of R' Avigdor), husband of the sister of the Ta”z" [She was married to R' David Oppenheim, who was R' MM's cousin], or
b) "R' MM, son of R' Dovid, (whose sister was the mother of R' David Oppenheim), son of R' Avigdor, husband of the sister of the Ta”z" [She was married to R' Avigdor, who was R' Dovid's father], or
c) "R' MM, son of R' Dovid (whose sister was the mother of R' David Oppenheim son of R' Avigdor), husband of the sister of the Ta”z" [She was married to R' Dovid and was the mother of R' MM], or
d) something else entirely?

2) Is this how it was written at the source? Because that's pretty confusing language. Does someone have the original source for that to post on the profile?

3) The only "sister of the Ta"z" I could find was sister of taz anonymos Aurbach, and her father being r` shmuel halevi, of ludmir, but these were added only a couple of years ago, and are not connected to Rabbi David Halevi Segal, the "Turei Zahav" (Taz) (the Ta"z). She's also here as the mother of R' Dovid Auerbach, not as his wife. Does anyone have any other source about the Ta"z's sister being the mother/grandmother of Mordechai Marduch Auerbach? Or about the Ta"z having a sister in the first place?

This all came about because what I have in my notes from my grandfather was that Mordechai M. Auerbach's mother (rather than his grandmother) was a sister of the Ta"z, but I don't have any sources.

Private User
2/3/2020 at 8:24 AM

Some of that info is incorrect and has been revised by modern day genealogists Wakstein and Weber. I have begun fixing the tree.

Private User
2/6/2020 at 8:33 AM

I've fixed up according to Wakstein's and Weber's research.

However, the following issues remain:

1) R' Mordecai Auerbach, A.B.D. Bomberg and Kremenets now has two wives. What is the source for wife, Mordichai Auerbach, a.b.d. Bomberg being the wife of R' Mordecai Auerbach, A.B.D. Bomberg and Kremenets ? I see the surname field in Hebrew matches the surname of the other wife (which I added according to W &W), so why is she connected to the Margolioth family?

2) David Marx Wohl, zum weissen Schwan has two wives. I note that if you convert their respective death dates into Hebrew, they have the exact same date of death on the Hebrew calendar, just one year apart. It's either תכ"ו or תכ"ז. These have got to be the same person, the year of death was probably misread, note the close resemblance of the ו and ז. It's also highly unlikely that after his first wife's death, David remarried and his wife bore him R' Mordecai Auerbach, A.B.D. Bomberg and Kremenets within that year. So who was his wife and what was her father's name?

Tagging yosef scheiner, Private User, Ira Tulchinsky, Private User, Eliyahu Neiman and Seth Morgulas

Private User
2/6/2020 at 4:22 PM

Just a followup of those two points. With regards to point 1) it's worth noting that Mordechai and his wife Margolith have dates of birth 38 years apart. With regards to point 2) Mordechai is recorded as being born after the death date of his mother! If Mordechai's date of birth is brought earlier, both these inconsistancies will be resolved. Alternatively, Mordechai's wife Margolith may be an error and Mordechai's mother was indeed a second wife of David Wohl, she died much later than currently recorded in her profile.

Sara Dawn Schwedelson
2/10/2020 at 6:59 AM

I just obtained a family tree that starts with R' Mordecai Auerbach, A.B.D. Bomberg and Kremenets and supposedly goes up to my great grandmother (my father Marc Schwedelson's mother Pauline Katz's mother Rosa Bluttreich, which makes her my great grandmother). It doesn't say anything about his wives, or his ancestry, since he is the farthest back on the tree. But it does have information about his descendants, if that is helpful at all.

I also can't read it, so I'm looking for help with that if anyone is able to decipher and decode this tree that goes back super far and find Rosa Bluttreich on it, I would be forever grateful!!

Private User
2/10/2020 at 8:17 AM

If you upload it as a pdf/photo to Geni and post the link here, I'll try and have a look some time.

Sara Dawn Schwedelson
2/10/2020 at 8:52 AM

Here is the link to the album with the tree that starts with Mordechai Auerbach, and his descendents. I'm looking for a Rosa Bluttreich on it. She would/should be towards the bottom. I see a Rosa, circled in blue in the album. I also see Abisch Bluttreich, also circled in blue. Any tips or tricks to reading and deciphering would be incredibly wonderful and very helpful!! And yes, I've been told that these are often inaccurate, although the top part does seem to match what is already here.

https://www.geni.com/photo/album/6000000122231864853?album_id=60000...

2/10/2020 at 5:14 PM

Private User, based on how you changed it:

1) The connection between R'MM (R' Mordecai Auerbach, A.B.D. Bomberg and Kremenets) and the T"az (Rabbi David Halevi Segal, the "Turei Zahav" (Taz)) is now that R'MM's wife's (1) mother's (2) father was the brother (3) of the T"az.

A) The profiles for Wife of Mordechai Auerbach (1), Unknown Szczebrzeszyner (2), and Yeshaya Halevi Segal, A.B.D. Dubno (3) were all created by you last week. Can you please add the source(s) on each of those?

B) Based on this you're saying that R' Mordecai Auerbach, A.B.D. Bomberg and Kremenets was not a direct descendant of Rabbi Shmuel Halevi Segal, of Ludomir (father of the T"az) at all, only his wife was?

2) R' Mordecai Auerbach, A.B.D. Bomberg and Kremenets was born in 1686. David Marx Wohl, zum weissen Schwan could not have been his father, nor could either Anonymos Aurbach nor Sarlin Wohl be his mother, as they all died between 1660 and 1667.

Either that, or some of those birth/death years are incorrect by decades.

-----

The source I have says that R'MM's father was a R'David who was the son-in-law of R' Shmuel Halevi. About 6-8 lines from the bottom of the page: https://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=6314&st=&pgnum=7. Although this source is from 1910, so there could have have already been some confusion by then.

Sara Dawn Schwedelson
2/12/2020 at 12:55 PM

My tree that I got starts with Reb Mordecai Auerbach, so I can't attest to his ancestry. However, @Michael was kind enough to help me decipher what was on the tree and we found my great-grandmother Rosa Katz. She was my father Marc Schwedelson's mother Pauline Schwedelson's mother. The only inaccuracy that I see is that my tree has Moses Abraham Abisch Ber as the son of Isac Ber Margulies, and on Geni he is listed as the brother. However, I have zero documentation to back it up, and it might just be an error on whoever compiled this particular tree.

Anyway, here's my comprehension so far:

Rosa Bluttreich (wife of Marcus Katz who my father is named after)'s mother was Pajka who was the daughter of Chawa and Uscher Stern

Uscher Stern was the son of Pajka and Israel Feibisch Stern.

Pajka Stern was the daughter of Moses Abraham Abisch Ber

Moses was the son of Isak Ber Margulies

Isak Bet Margulies was the son of Shtaintze and Hersch Margulies

Shtaintze was the daughter of Mordecai Auerbach

Her brother Arye Leibisch Auerbach apparently is a Rebbe in his own right and has many Chassidic dynasties that come from him.

I don't know that they were "famous" but they were definitely learned and we'll respected people. The Hebrew underneath their names is seforim (books) that they wrote.

Then on the patrilineal side, Israel Feibisch Stern was the son of Deborah and Hirsch Stern.

Deborah Stern was the daughter of Meir Scheiner, apparently it appears he was also a learned Rebbe too as he has a Hebrew book underneath his name.

Meir Scheiner was the son of Hinda and Ephraim Lwisch. I don't really know about that part of the top.

Presumably his children are Jona Jaffa and Elojim Getzel.

Elojim Getzel was the father of Ephraim.

Although I don't know how they compiled this, and I definitely don't have sources. Except that since this was made before the internet and sites like Geni, I would presume that they didn't pull the names out of a hat. They must have had some documentation somewhere to back it up. I wish I knew how they compiled it to find out.

Private User
2/12/2020 at 4:41 PM

Sorry Sara Dawn Schwedelson, I've been having trouble viewing the photo you uploaded. I was about to open a ticket but I see you've been assisted by Michael...

Private User
2/12/2020 at 5:02 PM

Michael Tabacinic thanks for your reply.
Indeed there are countless 'sources' telling it your way. All can be traced back to the work of Rabbi Joseph Levinstein, A.B.D. Serock though, a single source. Wakstein and Weber are adamant however that Lewinstein's conclusions are wrong, the ancestry to TaZ was through Mordechai's wife not Mordechai himself. I've fixed up the tree according to their revised research, and noted the resulting inconsistencies above.

I've now added the name of their book to the profiles I added. The book is available on otzar.org.

Thanks for pointing out the impossibility of the current tree with the current date values. I had already pointed out that Mordechai seems to have been born after the death of his mother (whichever one it was, if there were two). You're right in pointing out that his father's date of death doesn't work either. However, I've now realised that if Mordechai's date of death is correct, his date of birth obviously isn't. According ton the current dates he lived until 23-24. It's extremely unlikely that in such a short life he served in Kremnitz, Yazlowitz, Bamberg and Ostraha. Those dates need changing! Until then, we can't judge if the parents are correct or not.

2/13/2020 at 2:49 PM

Private User, are you able to see who specifically added the death and birth dates for Mordechai? If there’s a way to find that out, maybe we can ask them for the source.

Private User
2/13/2020 at 3:50 PM

Seems like it was Private User when she created the profile.

Private User
3/2/2020 at 11:54 AM
Showing all 14 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion