Started by Rev. Darlene Patricia Potts on Tuesday, January 28, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 12 posts

I am contacting you about this profile: Merle Oberon
it says she was married to the late actor david niven that is not true

It looks like her profile needs some clean-up for sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merle_Oberon

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0643353/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Both of the above sources support that Niven was not married to her. Probably after clean up, locking the fields with an MP would help keep all the wrong "Smart Matches" from penetrating. She was as my father would say "something to write home about" - a real beauty.

yes thank u

Looks like according to the sources I listed that Alexander Korda was more than her partner, but was her first husband. I don't see anything in either about David Field Beatty being a spouse. That may be a wild goose, too. It appears she had affairs with John Wayne and Richard Hillary. I'm not a fan of putting partners on unless someone actually co-habitated or had children, but to get it right, it might need the biography check on these that may have a better grasp:

Casey, Bob. Merle Oberon: Face of Mystery. Hobart, Tasmania, Australia: Masterpiece@IXL, 2008. ISBN 978-0-98054-822-8.

Higham, Charles and Roy Moseley. Princess Merle: The Romantic Life of Merle Oberon. New York: Coward-McCann Inc., 1983. ISBN 978-0-69811-231-5.

I think a problem with celebrity profiles is separating fact from fiction. You have found a real example of it.

Funny thing, in the Bibliography on Wikipedia, they do list a David Niven book, yet I imagine it describes friendship or work with her. If it can ever get straight, it needs to be MPd.

Private User I set you had done some work on the tree. Did you want to add Constance’s mother Charlotte Selby from Ceylon and MP Merle?

I saw Merle’s birth papers from Bombay somewhere on line if someone wants to add.

Working on disconnecting all the ex partners.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merle_Oberon

Never mind, I see Charlotte Thompson now. I think the tree is now correct but could use detailing.

Erica Howton, I'll see what I can do. I don't have rights to collaborate, but will do what I can.

Added the filmography. Erica Howton, is it worthy of MP and locking? Thanks so much for the clean up. She deserves it.

Done. I’m still hoping to find the birth documentation.

Erica Howton, I think that is a bit sketchy as to her birth info. I'll give it another look tonight if not found by then, but many thanks. I appreciate that you took some time away from those crazy colonials to do this. If Geni ever gets a special curator for the "swells" then, I think they need to wear a huge hat like Hedda Hopper or bangs and spectacles like Edith Head!

A bunch of us do “the swells.” I’m good for movies & music especially.

Erica Howton, that makes sense. Cool and thanks for the MP on Merle. I will see if I can find anything more tonight. Not sure why, but she speaks to me.

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion