George Ross - Where is the evidence he was son of David Ross, 11th of Balnagowan?

Started by Private User on Tuesday, January 28, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 108 posts
Private User
1/28/2020 at 3:14 PM

According to Rossiana, David Ross, 11th of Balnagowan only had one son whose name was also David.

https://archive.org/details/rossianapapersdo01read/page/12/mode/2up

Several descendants of George Ross of Elizabethtown have participated in the Y-DNA testing & they are a match to one descendant of James Ross of Anson County and one descendant of Isaac Ross, Sr.. Also several other Scottish prisoners of war... George Brush/Bruce of Woburn & William Thompson, of Kittery. Most importantly, they are all a match to descendants of Chief of Clan Murdoch Buidhe Matheson.

That definitely calls into question this idea that George of Elizabethtown was descended from any Rosses of Balnagown.

Private User
1/28/2020 at 3:15 PM
1/28/2020 at 3:58 PM

Disconnected.

Not the son of David Ross, 11th of Balnagowan & Annabella Murray - their only son was David Ross, 12th of Balnagowan

1/28/2020 at 4:33 PM

Nice blog on the George Ross Family here:

https://ourtexasfamilycom.ipage.com/RossFam/Ross_Family.html

Private User
1/28/2020 at 9:47 PM

Thanks Erica Howton!

1/28/2020 at 11:38 PM

Where does Mary Voss belong? Looks like she should be around Francis Ross of Elizabeth City VA

Private User
1/29/2020 at 12:11 AM

Erica Howton I honestly don't know on that one. Maybe Les Ross does?

1/29/2020 at 12:44 AM

Cleaning up Rosses, I’m sure these guys are dups ?

And need notes. Rev George Aeneas Ross Ancestry.

Murdoch Mackenzie, 2nd laird of Redcastle & Margaret MacKenzie (Rose)

2/9/2020 at 1:24 AM

Theres Ross descendants in Finland. Actually my bloodline as well.
I´m interested to know whether theres any related Haplogroup for them? ( Descendants of Ninian Ross )
William Georgesson Ross

William Ross moved first to Stockholm in 1617 as a political refugee with his father George. Ten years after that he moved to Turku (Åbo) and after that to Uusi Karlepyy where he worked as a sales-agent. Later he moved to Vaasa and he had company which sold tar to Stockholm. He became one of the richest man in the Vaasa region.

William Georgesson Ross...

Unfortynately since the Vaasa city and town was burned down to the ground in 1852, only a little documents have survived. It is very hard to find information of Ross´s and their whereabouts.

http://finlander.genealogia.fi/archive/index.php/t-6259.html

http://finlander.genealogia.fi/archive/index.php/t-4081.html?s=7401...

Private User
2/9/2020 at 5:25 PM

I'd like to know more about Mary (Ross) Voss. Up until lately on Geni.com she was listed as a daughter of David Ross 12th of Balnagowan and Mary (Fraser) Ross. All other sites continue to show her of this lineage.

2/9/2020 at 6:43 PM

All the other sites are wrong as was geni about Mary Voss

She was born in Virginia supposedly.

David Ross, 12th of Balnagowan Did not have her as a child.

My line of Rosses (Francis son of Hugh the immigrant) was bedy early in Elizabeth City County VA. Perhaps she belongs near them.

2/10/2020 at 2:55 PM

To Maarit Birgitta From: Yet many websites state that the Finnish Rosses are descendants of Ninian Ross, Lord of Halkhead, this is probably not true. The most probable line goes through Rosses of Kindeace (the older branch) to Rosses of Balnagowan. This is backed up by the coats of arms Herman Ross (the last male Ross in Finland) sent to the House of Nobility in Finland. He was not granted permission to use it since he couldn't give documents reliable enough. Anyway, the coat of arms is the one of Rosses of Kindeace,

The problem is that, as far as I know, nobody has found Scottish data about George Ross and his son, William. William was born in 1598, but we don't know much about George. He came to Stockholm in 1617 as you wrote, but there isn't any more information about him. Since his father's name was said to be Hugh, one alternative is Hugh Ross of Kindeace, born 1532, died 1622, but I haven't seen any Scottish documents if he had another son in addition to Walter.

Since I used the coat of arms to connect the Finnish Rosses to Rosses of Balnagowan, I have to note the coats of arms of Rosses of Halkhead in Geni are of Rosses of Balnagowan. I wrote about that to the maintainers but they haven't changed it.

And yes, I'm also a descendant of William Ross.

Private User
2/12/2020 at 11:10 PM

Maarit Birgitta From I'm not familiar with the Finnish Rosses.

These are the Participants in the Ross Project at FamilyTreeDNA as it stands now.

http://www.thefryingpan.net/charts/ross-mrca-chart-reorganized.html

Do you see anyone there that looks familiar?

7/4/2020 at 12:13 AM

I'm descended from George Ross, but I'm also confused as the Family central site has him as the son of David Ross and Mary Fraser and the dates are right for his parents to be David Ross 12th Balnagowan. Can anyone give me advice?
Cathleen Ross

George Ross was born at Balnagoun, Ross, Scotland 1650. His parents were David Ross, Sir and Mary Fraser.
He married Ursula Hamilton . Ursula Hamilton was born at of Canesure, Down, Ireland 1646 daughter of Hans Hamilton, Captain and Margaret Kennedy .

They were the parents of 4 children:
Robert Ross born 1670.
Mary Ross born 1670.
Miss Ross born 1672.
Ross born 1672.

7/4/2020 at 3:06 AM

From http://www.greatclanross.org/htext6.html :

David Ross, twelfth Baron of Balnagowan, was quite young when he inherited the estates, but he was quick to suppress crime in Ross-shire. At his own expense, David raised a regiment of 800 men of Ross for the Scottish army in order to reinstate King Charles II, but they were defeated by Cromwell at the battle of Worcester in 1651 and members of the clan were either slain or taken prisoner to be sold as slaves. The considerable expense of outfitting his regiment with weapons and the red Ross tartan trews left David's estates in greater debt than before. He died after two years of imprisonment in the Tower of London, and he was buried at Westminster on December 29, 1653. David had married Marie, the eldest daughter of Lord Fraser of Lovat, leaving as issue: (1) David, who became the last laird of Balnagowan; (2) Alexander, who died at 20; (3) Isobell, and (4) Catherine, who married John Mackenzie, fourth of Inveraul.

8/24/2020 at 3:12 AM

I wish us all luck, especially researchers already familiar with the old sources (and lack of sources). This is a "must solve" matter! Is the filiation not right it better be cut on the false place(s). That obviously will cut lots of private genealogies and with "cut" I also mean cut lots of ancestries back to royal families this particular way.

8/30/2020 at 2:18 PM

Is it possible to add this conversation - or a summary made by a Curator - on the page for the object for our interest:
George Ross
So far there is on his page on Geni no mentioning of any doubt about the ancestry of George.

8/30/2020 at 2:26 PM

Sure, that’s a good idea. Do you have any wording to suggest?

8/31/2020 at 6:06 AM

We genealogists prefer to respect documentation as a must to prove whichever person's place in the ancestry of that particular person, not anybody else's ancestry. How thrilling the tracing of roots it mustn't abandon that respect of documentation if the genealogist happen to find some roots more interesting or even "easier" to follow, such as royal ancestry may seem as well researched it is.
Until proven by documentation, which are his parents and what is the proper "full" name of "Hugh", mentioned as father of George Ross, of Halkhead (born 1563 Scotland), "Hugh" must not be linked as a son to any assumed parents, may their names be Ninian Ross, 3rd Lord of Halkhead (born abt. 1491 Hawkhead, Renfrew, Scotland) and his (3rd) wife Elizabeth Stewart (born abt. 1495 Balvenie Castle, Glen Fiddich, Fifeshire, Scotland) or any other couple only assumed as parents of "Hugh" mentioned as father of George Ross, of Halkhead (born 1563 Scotland).

[Then the filiation must be cut and adding of ancestors of George Ross, of Halkhead (born 1563 Scotland) must be made controlled by the Curators on Geni where the corrected data will be added by the Curator(s) when researchers have found the facts about this filiation and ancestry.]
Best wishes!

2/4/2021 at 2:42 PM

George Ross Has been disconnected from parents.

Private User
2/4/2021 at 4:19 PM

L. E. Bexar: Skotteättlingar i Vasa, släkten Ross

[Släkten] Ross. (Genealogiska Samfundets i Finland Årsskrift V). Helsingfors 1921.

2/5/2021 at 3:37 PM

I want to show you how people have believed their ancestyr have been in a certain way - and enjoyed the trips around the world to meet with descendants of the same ancestors. - Here is mentioned Ross of Kindease, as ancestors of descendants of the William Ross who settled in Finland:
https://tainmuseum.org.uk/returning-rosses-2007.asp#:~:text=They%20....

2/5/2021 at 3:40 PM

Dang!

“ We had a very special visit to the Clan Ross Centre on the 30th of April when the Finnish branch of the clan came to Tain.The group was led by Stephan Granroth and Ingegerd Ekstrand. They are all descended from William Ross, Kindeace, who left Ross-shire and reappeared in Vasa, a merchant farming town in Finland (at that time part of the Swedish empire) in 1627.”

Can we find which one he is? Maybe someone can raise up Granroth & Ekstrand in Finland??

2/5/2021 at 3:42 PM

The birth place here bothers me a lot.

William Georgesson Ross

Birth: 1598
Lauder, Haddingtonshire, Berwickshire, Scotland

That’s Lowland Scotland, no where near Tain. Is it an error or a clue?

2/5/2021 at 3:51 PM
2/5/2021 at 3:56 PM

Or of course contact the museum.

https://www.tainmuseum.org.uk/contact-us.asp

They are closed for the season but still available with part time volunteers.

I’d love to know where this Ross family fits.

Private User
2/5/2021 at 6:23 PM

Those looks really interestinggggg. There still are so many texts that are not online. These kinds of mysteries keeps me going. I struggle with language sometimes, but translator usually saves me. Thanks for these Erica and Eric.

2/5/2021 at 9:10 PM

Saga, write to the Finnish cousins? Looks to me like they solved the mystery and to the satisfaction of the Museum. If so, that’s exciting news, and I’ll bet we’re just missing a couple of profiles.

2/6/2021 at 1:08 AM

Great news! The story reminds me of the series Outlander, i loved to watch on tv.
I,m also descendant of William Ross from my fathernal side. Grandmothers family names Hartman, Sundvik and Mollin origin from Vaasa region.

I,m happy to see theres so many participants in this research and discussion. When i first started my family research around 10 years ago, there was hardly anyone to whom contact in this matter.

Private User
2/6/2021 at 12:33 PM

https://www.tainmuseum.org.uk/userfiles/file/clan_ross/Newsletter-J... some of my relatives there. I will write them. Thanks Erica!

Showing 1-30 of 108 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion