King Kari ''Wind'' Fornjotsson Fornjotsson, King of Kvenland - Mythical and Legendary, are they still real people?

Started by Private User on Friday, January 24, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 21 posts
Private User
1/24/2020 at 6:31 PM

I see mythical and legendary. Does that mean these are characters of fiction and not real people? It says they are my ancestors and wondering if that is true or just a creative family tree? I found both my parents are related to them so I want to claim my parents are 60th cousins but want proof of accuracy before I tell everyone at Thanksgiving (LOL).

Thank you.

Private User
1/24/2020 at 6:55 PM

Michael, not to be a downer but take any of this with a grain of sand. Yes it's fun, but there is no way this can ever be proven. You are lucky enough to even know your Grandparents out to 5 or 6 Great Grandparents. It's fun to check but just not true. The Curators will back me up on this.

Everyone else will have a hissy fit because they think that being able to say they are Lady Godiva's grandchild actually means something.

As far as this particular profile. No, you are not King Kari's descendant no matter what a website tells you. Not trying to be mean, just truthful too you.

Private User
1/24/2020 at 7:14 PM

If you doubt their existence, you probably aren't really related to them. When I learned of Frosti Karasson, Mythical King of Kvenland I suddenly developed a fondness for Snowmen (which before I'd judged quite repulsive).

1/24/2020 at 7:23 PM

Myths belong to the world of legends. They are a part of us. They may not be an actual ancestor, but they are a part of our story.

Private User
1/24/2020 at 7:28 PM

Lady Godiva was a "well-documented" historical figure: Godiva was the wife of Leofric, Earl of Mercia. They had nine children...

1/24/2020 at 7:38 PM

Well, I got this in my email as a "follower" of someone so here is my take.

At this point in history can't we just go with myth and fantasy? Is anyone writing it down or maybe it is just a story? I suspect there is a real kernel of truth to it all and yes, we are after that. I want to dance with fairies one day. Enjoy the company of dwarves and elves even maybe a few witches. If a giant is thrown in, I suspect he/she might be a very large man or woman. I just hope they are "gentle." Just my take on the concept.

Private User
1/24/2020 at 7:49 PM

Debra, your point being?

1/24/2020 at 10:57 PM

It's possible that some of these lines stretching into murky territory are correct, yet they may very well not be. And if on the odd chance one IS right, the story about that individual (or group) may well have been exaggerated. When lineages are taken from sagas, which are myth-legends of a people's history, and there is no corroborating evidence in historical annals or church or state records--which is the case with most because they mostly pre-date such times--it's impossible to say how accurately the lineage was remembered or whether it may have been intentionally simplified. Although it must be noted that many pre-historical cultures had serious oral traditions the keepers of which spent years in rigorous training. The Celtic Bardic system required incredible memory as it involved reciting lineages of hundreds of people; some of those lineages, the ancient kings of Ireland in particular, were recorded by early Christian monks. In any case a lineage may have been kept accurately back to a certain point in time and the remainder may have been glossed over--generations omitted--and if you find yourself arriving at Odin/Wodin, Thor, Danu or Mannanon, well, you can be sure that particular god or goddess was central to the spiritual worship and identity of that family. ;;;)

1/24/2020 at 11:41 PM

Over many centuries real-life heroes became legends and some of the legends eventually became myths, and sometimes the characters of those myths were seen as gods. The stories become something much bigger than an ancestral retelling because myth fills a need in the human psyche by reflecting it back to itself; by describing it in some way: the symbolic patterns and processes of birth, youth, maturity, old age and death--the endless cycle that all of material life shares--the hero's journey that we all experience in some way in our lives, etc. If you want to know more on this subject, check out any of Joseph Campbell's writings, or Carl Jung.

As someone noted above, this is the mythical lineage of your ancestors so it is yours too. We can only guess at the jumping-off point from the actual to the symbolic and there's sure to be a fuzzy area in between. Take for instance Kari's father Fornjot "the Ancient Giant", King of Kvenland; we can be sure that if he did in fact exist he wasn't a real giant as we think of them but was simply a really big man.

1/25/2020 at 1:37 AM

Fornjot "the Ancient Giant", King of Kvenland is your 43rd great grandfather
King Kari ''Wind'' Fornjotsson Fornjotsson, King of Kvenland is your 42nd great grandfather.

https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvenland
Kvenland was a large part of Modern Finland and part of Sweden. there are still things in the terrain in finland that lead the quenland head to the city

https://geographic.org/geographic_names/name.php?uni=-1975583&a......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_Kvenland

1/25/2020 at 12:54 PM

Amy Anderson
"As someone noted above, this is the mythical lineage of your ancestors so it is yours too. We can only guess at the jumping-off point from the actual to the symbolic..."
Well said.

Debra Denman
Thanks for clearing up Godiva's existence. She would have been yet another in the long list of my ancestors who never drew a living breath.

Everything fades from history into mystery. The stories need to be told to be remembered.

1/27/2020 at 7:33 AM

We're finding that Legend and myths are heading more and more towards discovering more of the history of our world.The Orkney Saga is also a historical narrative and my Genealogy is also tied up to them, imagine my surprise! I do come from "100" Irish stock, of which one of my origins is Norman, from the Legendary Sea kings. Pretty cool.

Showing all 21 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion