John de Beauchamp, 3rd Baron Beauchamp - John de Beauchamp & heirs

Started by Private User on Thursday, January 23, 2020
Showing all 8 posts
Private User
1/23/2020 at 4:45 PM

John Beauchamp, 3rd Baron Beauchamp [abt 1629 - 1361] was one of three surviving children born to John Beauchamp, 2nd Baron [1304- 1343] & his wife Margaret St John.
When John died in 1361 his only heirs were found to be his sister Cecily [then married to Roger Seymour, but in the IPM was also referred to as Cecily Beauchamp & Cecily Turberville as she was previously married to Sir Gilbert Turberville]. Cecily has sons by her Seymour marriage. His other heir was found to be John Meriot [said to be 15 or 16], the son of his other sister Eleanor [this implies that Eleanor has died by this date [because otherwise SHE would be his heir so Eleanor's profile needs work too] & that John Meriot is her eldest son so it is most unlikely that she married a Blount and had issue as is often claimed. Very detailed & interesting discussion on that here https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/soc.genealogy.medieval/B3id... no evidence for a Blount marriage
Apart from the Inquisition Post Mortem not mentioning any issue for John, the other evidence that he had none is that is title went into Abeyance after his death. Not necessarily the best of sources but in this case it is handy and accurate to see what happened to the title https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_Beauchamp
There are a number of other Beauchamp family which are not connected to or descended from this branch, so these children may in fact belong to a different John Beauchamp altogether. I cannot find any sources for them though, other than various online trees, a number of which actually use "Esquire" as the surname & none of which give any sources.
Here is a summary of his variuos IPM [one for each county that he owned property in.
John de Bello Campo, or John Beauchamp, or John de Beauchamp of Somerset, knight
"Writ, 26 October, 35 Edward III."
"He died on 7 October last. Cecily his sister, aged 40 years and more, and John Merezet, son of Eleanor his other sister, aged 15 years and more, are his heirs."
"He died on Wednesday the feast of St. Michael last, immediately before sunset. Cecily Turbervyll his sister, of full age, and John son of John de Meryet, knight, his kinsman, aged 18 years and more, are his heirs."
"He died on Monday before St. Luke, 35 Edward III. Cecily Turberevyle, and John son of John de Meriet, aged 16 years and more, are his heirs."
"He died on Sunday after Michaelmas last. Cecily de Beauchaump, of full age, and John son of John Meriet, knight, aged 15 years and more, are his heirs."
"He died on 6 October last, as the jurors understand, without heir of himself. Cecily Beauchamp his sister, aged 30 years and more, and John Meriette his kinsman, son of his sister Eleanor, aged 15 years, are his heirs."
"He died on 8 October last. Cecily his sister, aged 40 years, and John Mereyet, son of Eleanor his other sister, aged 15 years and more, are his heirs."
"Date of death not known because he died in distant parts. Cecily de Seymor and John son of John Meriot, ages not known, are his heirs."
"He died on 7 October last. Cecily his sister, aged 30 years and John son of Eleanor his other sister, are his heirs."
A single inquisition appears so accurate, giving a single death date, and a single birth date for heirs. These multiple inquisitions show us there was a fair bit of estimating going on.
So there seems to plenty of contemporary information that he had no heirs.

Not my area of expertise but http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/STJOHN.htm#Margaret has as Margaret St JOHN 1308-1361 marrying a John De CHAMP c1328 and having
* Eleanor who married Sit John BLOUNT
* Margaret
* John
* Edward
* William
* Cecily who married Sir Roger ST MAUR

So it seems as if the children John and Cecily are actually himself and his sister added to the wrong generation.

But as I said not my area of expertise - so I could be completely wrong.

Looking down his descendants to see if they should be elsewhere
Lord John de Beauchamp, [Esquire] ( 1389-1416) who married Edith Stourton appears to be
John BEAUCHAMP, the son of Sir Roger BEAUCHAMP (1362-1406) and Mary.
I think he should be the same as this person Sir John Beauchamp, Knight, of Bletso

I will bow out now as it is completely out of my area of expertise.

1/24/2020 at 3:34 PM

Hello! I was asked to chime in.

John Beauchamp, 3rd Baron Beauchamp (Somerset, 1st Creation) not only had no living heirs when he died, he had no progeny at all.

The children attached to him have been attached erroneously.

They need to be detached, and John Beauchamp's profile locked down.

Will Chapman (Vol. Curator) -- would you like me to take care of this?

Private User
1/24/2020 at 7:17 PM

Thanks Anne Brannen, it would be terrific if you could arrange that! Cecily Beauchamp is one of my direct ancestors, so I have been working my way through this complex part of the tree.

1/25/2020 at 1:58 AM

Anne

Your skilled and scholarly intervention is always welcome. Thanks.

Cheers

Will

1/25/2020 at 8:54 AM

Cheers indeed, cousin! I will go take care of this.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion