John Young, Jr. - Confusion between John Young of Southold, NY and John Young of Barnstable, MA

Started by Hatte Anne Blejer on Wednesday, January 8, 2020
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 9 posts
1/8/2020 at 1:51 PM

From a manager / researcher:

I am contacting you about this profile: Col. John Youngs

As I noted earlier today this John Young of NY whose children by Mary
Gardner is distinct from the John Young who lived entirely in Barnstable and was married to Abigail Howland and all children were there.

Please edit the locked death date on John of Southold to 12 Apr 1698 and location to Southold Suffolk NY

North American Family History entry is here:

https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=61...;...
John of Southold to 12 Apr 1698 and location to Southold Suffolk NY

1/8/2020 at 1:52 PM

More:

Managers of John Young, Jr.,

I think two profiles on Geni are NOT the same

Here's a link to view both of them:

https://www.geni.com/merge/compare/6000000003938327477?to=600000010...

I strongly suspect that the plethora of wives and confusing details are due to the conflation of the Barnstable bunch (wife Abigail Howland) and the Long Island bunch. There just was not so much mobility at that time!

1/8/2020 at 1:53 PM
1/8/2020 at 5:57 PM

looked at it and am more confused about this wing of the family than ever. it is a major charlie foxtrot.

as an aside, what's with "England" now getting a "(United Kingdom)" automatically added even when the dates of said person having been born or died in "England" occurring long before there ever was a "United Kingdom"?
Dumb and inaccurate.

drsjp

1/9/2020 at 4:40 PM

Don finished the separation of John Young, I, of Eastham who married Abigail Young from Col. John Youngs who married Mary Youngs & then Hannah Young

Apparently there were many john Youngs ...

1/9/2020 at 6:02 PM

Elisabeth Young is "seen" as a wife of the John Young of the Plymouth Colony but there are questions that she even existed. So she is floating loose.

1/12/2020 at 11:46 PM

Thank you Erica Howton! Sorry I was AWOL with physical therapy for my knee and my desktop was not working in addition.

1/13/2020 at 10:56 AM

I think the John Youngs are well separated now.

1/13/2020 at 12:43 PM

I have seen Southold and New England families confused a number of times, when common surnames are involved.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion