Sarah Meisels (bat MaHarSha Eideles) - The MaHarSha's daughters

Started by Michael Tabacinic on Thursday, December 19, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 3 posts

From https://www.hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=46421&st=&pgn..., we have that:
Rabbi Isaac Wolf Bunim-Meisels, of Vilna had a son Rabbi Moshe Ben Yitzhak HaCohen Bunems Meisels, Ba'al "Mahadura Batra", who was married to a daughter of the Shmuel Eliezer haLevi Eideles, MaHarSha.

The question I have is on this Sarah Meisels, another daughter of the Shmuel Eliezer haLevi Eideles, MaHarSha.

Geni has her as 2nd wife of Rabbi Isaac Wolf Bunim-Meisels, of Vilna, Rabbi Moshe Ben Yitzhak HaCohen Bunems Meisels, Ba'al "Mahadura Batra"'s father. Is there a source for this?

This would mean that R' Moshe married the sister of his father's wife.

According to this, http://toladot.blogspot.com/2011/04/blog-post_15.html?m=1, which is summarizing Natali Vaksman Shimon Binyomin ben Yitzchak Bunims Wolf had three wives. So I raise as a hypothesis that this Sarah (or unknown name) bat Shmuel Eliezer Eideles is a third spouse of Shimon Binyomin ben Yitzchak Bunims Wolf as she is shown to have married him on this duplicate tree: Sarah bat Shmuel Wilner/ Wolf If so, then she is the mother-in-law of the Shakh. The other two wives of Shimon Binyomin ben Yitzchak Bunims Wolf, according to this blogpost are Beila Meisels (Tauber?) (who according to this blogpost IS NOT THE MOTHER OF THE SHAKH), and NN Ashkenazy sister of the Shakh, who is the maternal grandmother of Rabbi Meir ben Yitzchok of Eisenstadt, Ponim Meiros, MaHaRaM Asch, I

I believe these three wives resolve a tangled up section of the tree nicely (which requires some fixing up on GENI).

To summarize: Shmuel Eliezer haLevi Eideles, MaHarSha has one daughter (name unknown, or Sarah) who marries Rabbi Moshe Ben Yitzhak HaCohen Bunems Meisels, Ba'al "Mahadura Batra" and another daughter (name unknown, or Sarah) who marries Rabbi Simon-Binyamin son Isaac Wolf Meisels, of Vilna This latter union produces the spouse of the Shakh. Meanwhile, Rabbi Simon-Binyamin son Isaac Wolf Meisels, of Vilna has two other wives: Beila Meisels (Tauber?)?through=6000000010865865009 (daughter of Delhiner) and Esther Miriam(?) Teiber (sister of Shakh): Shakh's father-in-law also married Shakh's sister in another marriage.

I am not surprised that Rabbi Simon-Binyamin son Isaac Wolf Meisels, of Vilna could have married a sister of the spouse of his brother: Rabbi Moshe Ben Yitzhak HaCohen Bunems Meisels, Ba'al "Mahadura Batra". Nor that Shakh married the daughter of his sister's husband from another marriage.

To assist in explication I posted several graphic trees in 'Media' section of Rabbi Simon-Binyamin son Isaac Wolf Meisels, of Vilna

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion