Baron Hugh de Port (St. John) - Brother with same name

Started by Keri Denise Jackson, ♊ Twin "A" on Thursday, December 5, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 121-132 of 132 posts

I don’t see the Earl of Northumberland as having anything to do with the de Ports. Or with the lady of Semer. It’s a jump up story in the Percy pedigree.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethelreda,_daughter_of_Gospatric

Ethelreda (either the same as or conflated with Octreda or Uhtreda; 11th century) was a daughter of Gospatric, Earl of Northumbria remembered in 13th century Cumberland as the mother of William fitz Duncan. She is thought to have been the wife of Duncan II of Scotland, though very little is known otherwise about her.

—-

The Queen of Scotland and a Kent sheriff? Nah.

Erica Howton I'll add the brothers. What did we decide on the Adam also listed as Henry's Son? It is possible being as this family seemed to love the name Adam and Hugh. LOL

(Sigh) If it’s in Medlands (Cawley) it’s probably good to go. Double check against Rounds, I think he listed all the Adams?

Believe me, I’m tempted to a Lady of Semer profile. But the Percy children are very clear in their charters naming their mother as Emma de Port. And as said, the lady of Semer wouldn’t have had a surname, as she was Saxon, and surnames came to England with ... the Normans.

http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/ENGLISHNOBILITYMEDIEVAL3P-S.htm#_To...

Erica Howton that was what I was saying earlier. I find it hard to believe.

Erica Howton I'm not sure about that Adam so I'm not going to add him.

https://www.stirnet.com/genie/data/british/ss4tz/stjohn02.php#linklo

Hugh de Port of Basing, Sheriff of Hampshire (d 1096) m. Orence

1. Henry de Port, lord of Basing, Sheriff of Hampshire (d after 1153) m. Hawise of Basing

A. Hugh de Port (a 1108, dvpsp)

B. William de Port (dvpsp)

C. John de Port, lord of Basing (b c1121, d 1168) m. Maud
i. Adam de Port, lord of Basing, Governor of Southampton Castle (d 28.07.1213) m1. Mabel, heiress of Orval (dau of Muriel dau of Roger de St. John)

2. Adelidis
3. Emma de Port Y
m. William de Percy (a 1066, d c1096) Y

Main source(s): TCP (Saint John of Basing), BE1883 (St. John of Basing), 'TUDOR'

Erica Howton I agree, I think we have it right. Yes?

I’ll check tomorrow. :). I’m pretty proud so far. Scary to work this far back.

Erica Howton Oh, so you are saying Emma might be John de Port's daughter? Or am I wrong?

I was checking more to see how Emma de Port is placed in various reliable secondary sources; one is Stirnet.

And she’s shown as daughter of Hugh de Port, with siblings Henry & Adelis.

Stirnet can be a confusing report to read, so here it is again:

Hugh de Port of Basing, Sheriff of Hampshire (d 1096) m. Orence

1. Henry de Port, lord of Basing, Sheriff of Hampshire (d after 1153) m. Hawise of Basing
2. Adelidis
3. Emma de Port m. William de Percy (a 1066, d c1096)

—-

Then Emma jumps over to their Percy page and continues the family descent.

On the de Port Page, the descent continues with Henry, son of Hugh:

A. Hugh de Port (a 1108, dvpsp)
B. William de Port (dvpsp)
C. John de Port, lord of Basing (b c1121, d 1168) m. Maud

i. Adam de Port, lord of Basing, Governor of Southampton Castle (d 28.07.1213) m1. Mabel, heiress of Orval (dau of Muriel dau of Roger de St. John)

—-
So Adam, Gov, d 1213, is son of John & Maud.

Erica Howton Yes that looks right to me.

Showing 121-132 of 132 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion