Baron Hugh de Port (St. John) - Brother with same name

Started by Keri Denise Jackson, ♊ Twin "A" on Thursday, December 5, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 31-60 of 132 posts

Erica Howton Yes I can finish it.

Awesome. Round is my genealogy hero today, he makes it clear.

Erica Howton does a dotted line mean something different?

It might infer a missing generation.

Erica Howton there is another profile for Sybil de Port

N.N.

I'm confused on this.

Let’s leave her where she is since we don’t know otherwise (at this point).

Make a new Sybil for wife of Roger: ODNB has a surname for her, I’ll post the reference again.

Remember that in this period, as far we know, women did not take married names. So if we have a father’s surname, it goes in both fields (Birth & last). Often we don’t know their father,so we just have the first name, so leave the surname fields blank.

Ah, you got it already. Looking good Keri Denise Jackson, ♊ Twin "A" - many thanks. Hopefully we’ll hit duplicates soon and can get the tree “live.”

Round corrected in 1900, it’s only 200 years later to get it right on Geni. :)

Erica Howton anytime.

I added another screen shot as a source document:

https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000114445795941&

And linked Hubert & Hugh as brothers, I’ll put in a curator note that their exact relationship is not certain.

Erica Howton maybe we should MP These new profiles or at least lock the relationships and info we know is correct so it does not get mixed up again.

Next step indeed! Also, is there anything on Eleanor de Leon or is she invented? I’m very nervous about that Emma daughter also.

There’s this article:

https://www.hampshire-history.com/basing-house-before-the-civil-war/

Which claims only one Hugh (fighting in 1066). So I’m still uncertain about this Lord of Seamer character.

Time for our medievalist Private User to look our tree over, if she would be so kind.

I’m confident about the Round-based tree & the Cybergata based tree ...

Erica Howton I think they are somehow all related . I was wondering if it is not Roger's brother Hugh?

Erica Howton this profile is listed as Hubert's father.

Hugh de Port, Domesday lord of Basing

And if he existed, was he the Domesday tenant in 1066, or was there only one Hugh?

http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/ENGLISHNOBILITYMEDIEVAL3P-S.htm#Joh... Gives Hughes a second daughter and notes “two possible brothers”

It might be easier to read it here:

http://knight-france.com/geneal/names/4686.htm

I’m thinking Hugh & Hugh de Port, Domesday lord of Basing were the same person & the birth date of 1051 is not valid.

Erica Howton Good question. I hope Private User can help us straighten this out.

Occam’s razor ... simplicity.

I went ahead and merged the two Hughes.

We could not find any reference to “Lord of Seamer died in Yorkshire 1066” except that line in Wikipedia.

Erica Howton I agree.

Yes, I’m much happier with the tree now, and the names for Hugh. :)

Just for fun, I wonder about these other de Port’s Crawley mentions, an Adam brother of Hugh & Hubert, and another pair of brothers:

http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/ENGLISHNOBILITYMEDIEVAL3P-S.htm#Joh...

3. ADAM de Port (-after 1114). "…Ada de Port…" witnessed the charter dated 1114 under which Henry I King of England granted the land of Roger de Worcester to Walter de Beauchamp[763].

Two brothers, parents not known:
1. ADAM de Port . "Adam de Port" notified the bishop of Lincoln of his grant to the church of "Hattele" by undated charter, witnessed by "Herndaldo de Mandeville et domina Alicia uxore sua, domina Matiltide uxore dicti Adæ de Port, Henrico de Port fratre eiusdem, Galfrido de Mandeville"[764]. m MATILDA de Mandeville, daughter of ERNULF de Mandeville & his wife Alice d’Oilly. "Adam de Port" notified the bishop of Lincoln of his grant to the church of "Hattele" by undated charter, witnessed by "Herndaldo de Mandeville et domina Alicia uxore sua, domina Matiltide uxore dicti Adæ de Port, Henrico de Port fratre eiusdem, Galfrido de Mandeville"[765].
2. HENRY de Port . "Adam de Port" notified the bishop of Lincoln of his grant to the church of "Hattele" by undated charter, witnessed by "Herndaldo de Mandeville et domina Alicia uxore sua, domina Matiltide uxore dicti Adæ de Port, Henrico de Port fratre eiusdem, Galfrido de Mandeville"[766].

Erica Howton

And where does John de Port fit in?

Erica Howton Maybe They were also brothers of Hubert and Hugh?

John is the son of Henry & Hawise, son of Hugh & Orence. He’s missing some children.

JOHN de Port, son of HENRY de Port & his wife Hawise --- (-1168 before 29 Sep). Henry de Port founded the priory of Sherborne as the cell of the abbey of Saint-Vigor de Cérisy by undated charter witnessed by "his wife Hawise and his sons William and John"[767]. John de Port confirmed his father’s donations to Sherborne by undated charter witnessed by "his wife Maud and his sons Adam and Hugh", in which he requests burial at the abbey[768]. "John son of Henry de Port" donated land "of Warneford…Weleg" to Montacute priory by undated charter[769]. Military fee certifications in the Red Book of the Exchequer, in 1166, record that "Henricus de Port" used to hold two knights` fees in Hampshire now held by "Johannes de Port"[770].

m MATILDA, daughter of ---. John de Port confirmed his father’s donations to Sherborne by undated charter witnessed by "his wife Maud and his sons Adam and Hugh"[771].
John & his wife had [four] children:

I think the pair of brothers are likely unrelated. I’d study their wives families.

Erica Howton according to

Henry de Port, sheriff of Hants.
had the following as children

HUGH de Port (-after 1108). Henry de Port gave a rent to Rochester cathedral priory, with the consent of "his wife Hawise and his son Hugh", by charter dated 1108[753].

ii) WILLIAM de Port . Henry de Port founded the priory of Sherborne as the cell of the abbey of Saint-Vigor de Cérisy by undated charter witnessed by "his wife Hawise and his sons William and John"[754].

iii) JOHN de Port (-1168 before 29 Sep). Henry de Port founded the priory of Sherborne as the cell of the abbey of Saint-Vigor de Cérisy by undated charter witnessed by "his wife Hawise and his sons William and John"[755].

- see below.

iv) [ADAM de Port (-after 1160). The Red Book of the Exchequer refers to "Adam de Port xl vii milites et dimidium" in Hereford in [1160/61][756]. This appears too early for the entry to refer to Adam de Port, son of John de Port, assuming that his birth date is correctly estimated below. This would suggest that Adam belonged to an earlier generation of the family. The Red Book of the Exchequer refers to "Adam de Port xv l ii s" in Hereford in [1167/68][757].]

At least that is how I am reading it.

I think they are referring to is Hubert's Adam though.

Or maybe not cause that dates are different.

Showing 31-60 of 132 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion