Angilbert "the Saint" de Ponthieu, abbot of Saint-Riquier - Alternative Data after Merge

Started by Sharon Doubell on Thursday, December 5, 2019
Showing all 16 posts
12/5/2019 at 11:50 AM

Death Location Aachen North Rhineland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany Ponthieu, Gard, Languedoc-Roussillon Midi-Pyrénées, France

Private User
12/7/2019 at 6:15 AM
Private User
12/7/2019 at 6:17 AM
Private User
12/7/2019 at 7:19 AM

Quote from Nithard's Histories,

"With Bertha, a daughter of the same great king, Angilbert begot my brother Hartnid and me, Nithard. At Centulum Angilbert constructed a magnificent building in honor of Almighty God and St. Richard and ruled magnificently the monastic family committed to him. Here he ended his life happily and was laid to rest in peace. Having touched briefly on my own background I want to return to the proper course of my history."

Centulum is the ancient Roman name of site of the abbey of Saint-Riquier (Saint Richard in English). And according to Angilbert's own son, Nithard (whose occupation was historian) -- his father died there.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/ssd?id=mdp.39015015186805;seq=184

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015015186805&view=... (p.172)

12/7/2019 at 9:49 AM

Thank you Debra. So you think - Abbeville, Departement de la Somme, Picardie, France

Private User
12/7/2019 at 10:04 AM

I agree with you, Sharon. Thank you for finding and correcting it.

12/7/2019 at 10:06 AM

You found it - I'll enter it :-)

Private User
12/7/2019 at 10:46 AM

Honestly I doubt I'd have noticed anything wrong with it had you not brought it to our attention :D

By the way, here is further corroboration of the location of the death of St. Angilbert, from an old Biographical Dictionary, which I think used both Nithard's Histories and Anscherus History of the Life and Miracles of St. Angilbert:

"At Easter in the year 800 he entertained Charlemagne at his abbey; and accompanied the emperor to Rome the latter part of the same year...He was present (although, according to Hariulfus, enfeebled by old age, and by the austerity of his fastings and vigils), when Charlemagne distributed by deed (811) his personal effects. He died a few days after Charlemagne, 18th Feb. 814, and was buried before the door of the church of St. Riquier, one of the three which he had built. His body was afterwards removed within the walls of the church..."

https://books.google.com/books?id=0xIIAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA730&dq=... (p.730)

12/11/2019 at 6:22 PM

Hey can you ladies please clean up the inconsistencies for the profile in that area. Like it says Nithard was under 12 years old for the birth of his child. Please and thank you.

Private User
12/12/2019 at 2:19 AM

Keri Denise Jackson, ♊ Twin "A" when you changed Nithard "the Chronicler" birth date from 790 to 795 (on this past Monday at 5:07 am) -- did you provide a source to reference as a justification for the change?

Because apparently that's what has caused him to be so young at the birth of his own child.

Private User
12/12/2019 at 2:27 AM

Helgaud de Montreuil, I

Another thing, we can hardly claim "inconsistency" on ancient profiles with birth and/or death dates that can be no more than educated estimates (as in this case). So if the birth date is "circa", then I'd feel comfortable ignoring a discrepancy of only a few years (again, as in this case).

12/13/2019 at 4:16 AM

I'm sorry. I thought I logged the source and now I don't recall. I think for these kinds of profiles the consistency checker should be turned off. I am always checking them. :)

Private User
12/13/2019 at 4:35 AM

No problem, Keri Denise Jackson, ♊ Twin "A" , and I think a lot of us would agree with you about restricting the consistency checker on the more ancient ancestors. Best wishes for a wonderful and genealogically successful day!

12/13/2019 at 5:26 AM

Private User Thank you. You too.

Private User
12/13/2019 at 7:34 AM

Perdón lo que publique tiene derecho de autor.

Private User
12/13/2019 at 7:42 AM
Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion