Gruffydd ap Llewelyn, king of the Britons - United Kingdom

Started by Private User on Thursday, November 28, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

• AlexD. Via Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1062#/media/File:Wales_1039-63_(Gruffudd_ap_Llywelyn).svg Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0
Showing all 4 posts
Private User
11/28/2019 at 11:19 AM

Removed reference to “United Kingdom” which only came into existence on 1 May 1707 as a result of the Treaty of Union between England and Scotland. The use of United Kingdom or UK prior to that date is historically incorrect.

Private User
11/28/2019 at 6:12 PM

Good man!

11/28/2019 at 6:31 PM

2 sides to the argument. Yours and the other, which is that it helps people locate where these events happened in today's geography. I subscribe to your point of view, others don't. In addition, I've noted that Geni's programing now often only gives you the option of locations in terms of today's geography. I try and correct or remove these as I can, but it seems to be an uphill battle.

Private User
11/29/2019 at 3:10 PM

Would it not be more important, as teachers, to ask that our students who input data to use correct historical terminology? I was told when I became a curator that the overview section could and should be used as instructional, one could in a discussion there, has say (part of the current United Kingdom).

I have this same problem with my English ancestors who immigrated to the US. The BIgelow family progenitor arrived in 1630 with the Winthrop fleet . He was born 1616 in England, died 1717 in the Province of Massachusetts, he never did live in the United States of America (USA), which itself was not born until July 4, 1776.

I think we should be historically accurate, and allow those who become perplexed and have the initiative to Goggle it.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion