• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 181-210 of 366 posts

Job, you answered "Some of the inconsistencies can be avoided by putting all the spelling- and name variations in that also known as field". However, I think a solution only works when all of us know which rules 'exist' & Fill out this field "Also Known as" consequently, but I think for most of us it's too much to ask, so often it remains 'EMPTY/most part empty' !

I'm busy making some documentation (currently in Dutch), but Geni has not revealed too much detail, so making documentation is rather hard and takes a lot of testing.
At the moment Geni is still changing the checks when they get feedback that something should be changed. So it will take a while for me to finish the first version.

We do see a lot of users busy on the tree as a consequence of these new inconsistency checks. So there are a lot of questions now about the naming system.
That could mean Geni will provide some more documentation and/or that some things will be changed. Changes are difficult however because there are already so many profiles on Geni and a change should not expect us to update millions of records by hand.

Private User,

In reply to https://www.geni.com/discussions/203863?msg=1343829: You should not see maiden name anywhere anymore. Depending on the language you use it could be a translation issue. If you do not use English you could activate inline translations and add your own translations or vote on translations of others.
For English you should see birth surname and that is not gender specific (the name given a child at birth or the name from the first available later record like a baptize record)

It seems solving an inconsistency for too large age difference does not always automatically clears it also from the inconsistency overview page.
Examples:
Johannes Cornelisz Noordermeer and Helena Hendriks
Joannes Theunisz Hoogeboom and Catharina Misdorp

Job Waterreus,

Well, maybe not 'maiden mame', but my point still stands. Geni is thought to be used for cultures where people has one last name, which is inherited by the father, and a woman changes hers when she gets married. But there are many other naming conventions in the word, and using any other naming convention makes you face an array of mild inconveniences and missing features, because Geni is not meant to be used that way.

I remember having this conversation around 10 years ago, and I don't think much has changed since then. Now that consistency check just brought that to my mind.

I get what Private User is saying. I have more and more relatives in my extended family where females are not changing their names upon marriage (if marriage is even the norm now). Children get to "choose" and it is not a perfectly organized world. I am trying to organize as fast as I can all the Fredericks and Frederickas along with Susannas and Attelias (yes, Attelia was a name popular in the mid to late 1800s).

I have been following the conversations on this thread and wondering if anyone read Kurt Vonnegut's "Slapstick." Naming conventions are going to likely move into a new format one day and perhaps DNA may have a way of sorting or perhaps we will all be "Daiseys" and "Lillies" or something else. Geni may be paving the way with nomenclature conventions. Perhaps, we will define the process of naming with the introduction of "inconsistencies."

Marc & Susanne,

There is some discussion on this subject. But changing something like this is not easy.

It seems the age difference calculation has some difficulty with not exact dates
Example: https://www.geni.com/inconsistencies/for_profile/6000000086759882928

Oh, of course that is not something that could be implemented from one week to the next, but it would be nice to see someday.

My only question is why, when I have clicked IGNORE FOR ALL or MARK AS CORRECT FOR ALL, it keeps coming back as an INCONSISTENCY?

It's annoying that my ancestor should be " inconsistant ' for being a mother at 15.
I use records from GB through familysearch, they are referenced on FS.

Jessica Christophe-Dymock Paternal Ydna QM 242, it's called an consistency checker. It's all in that last word, a checker. Nowhere it says that your ancestor is inconsistant. It only says that you should check for a possible inconsistency.
That could mean that you check it, and your research is correct.

It seems the married too young inconsistency on the overview page does not auto refresh when the inconsistency is solved.

Inconsistency, after 200 checked, one profile had an error, born 3-5 months to early. This child, died at age 2. So far, it's not worth the time consuming control of this flags.

I checked some 1500 profiles (still a few thousand to go) and found many problems.
Depending on the data some checks are better at finding actual problems than others. Most date dependent checks are good at finding real problems, like the
event before birth and after death (but be careful with events that have more than one profile attached) and the child born before parent or after death of the parent.

Yesterday, each time I clicked "ignore" and "Mark this correct for all users" I would see that happen - earlier today, nothing happened, tho it was corrected if I refreshed the page. Seems to be back to auto refreshing now.

At https://www.geni.com/discussions/204166?msg=1344182
Private User is noticing that an inconsistency notification for "all records where the family tree notation had been entered in the Suffice field. This is according to me an important part of the family record to enter on profiles, especially where one have numerous family members of different generations with the same names. One can also following the blood line must easier.
Can anyone provide a clarification why this field is not suitable for this important notation and if there is a valid reason, which is the best field (that will also appear on the display name) where this notation can be entered?"

I use suffix all the time. It is important for disambiguating people the same name, and citation supported.

Mike Stangel see https://www.geni.com/discussions/192543?msg=1344210 from Chris Wright

“I just added 2 ancestors, John Hibell and his wife Ann Lloyd ... John HIbell strangely the system is telling me that there is an inconsistency and that "John Hibell and his spouse Ann Hibell are 6542 years apart"...I have his date of birth as bef Jul 11 1826 and hers as bef Nov 19 1829 which is only 3 years apart.
What's going on? I pressed the re-check button and it still says it.”

John Hibell & Ann HIbell

Job Waterreus I totally understand that changes of this nature are not easy; however, check out this 2nd cousin's profile of mine that is showing up "inconsistent" along with his other siblings (named Huhtala and Kangas) - none of whom have the same last name as either parent (Ketola and Nakki). It is a naming convention based on largely on location from what I know. The siblings have two totally different names. That makes 10 "inconsistencies" right there that are unfixable, in my opinion.
Heikki Jalmari Jaakonpoika Huhtala

Susanne Floyd,

The checks are for possible inconsistencies (profiles that may be okay but deserve to be checked, because they MAY be wrong). If the are fine, just ignore them.

The checks for dates are not dependent on naming conventions, so it may be wise to start with those.

Those for profiles that may be private because the living status is wrong are those which can be fixed very easily and help other users because making them public will mean others can see them and their content and find them when searching.

it seems the inconsistency https://www.geni.com/inconsistencies/for_profile/6000000024235091256 is not recalculated correctly (may be due to performance issues?)

Thanks Job Waterreus! - the same is happening for the parents of my couple, but I'll just ignore it now. I was concerned that there was some problem with my data entry.

Geni's servers are overloaded.
Trees are heavy. Sometimes our servers can't lift them all.
We apologize for the inconvenience -- our arboreal engineers are working to fix the problem.

This happens a lot more now, was is really so smart to introduce a new feature before building out the server capacity?

Job Waterreus None of the profiles I mentioned or noted were "private.". I could see them and trust me, I am a new interloper into the Geni European family from America. I am so thankful for my cousins and contacts I have met through here.

If I could see them, I imagine you could too. It was not dates, I was notified on, but "naming." So in our American lingo "Go figure." It is not working. It is Naming
Conventions. They are different. The do not have their parents last names. There are reasons. Figure it out or disregard it. Make that possible.

Susanne Floyd, if you are confident that the data on a profile is correct and the Consistency Checker is showing an incorrect error you can select "Ignore" and then either select "Mark this correct for all users" or "Hide this only from my view"

The Consistency Checker is sometimes going to show up profiles that are correct but the system thought was worth someone looking at. The consistency checker uses criteria that can be coded - for example if 2 spouses are 70 years apart it is worth a review.

My apologies I am not familiar with Finnish naming conventions so I can't comment on this particular profile nor even have a guess at how they work.

If someone is willing to specify the rules for Finnish names - something like birth county = Finland AND .... - then Geni might be able to code it appropriately.

It is probably worth starting a separate discussion re Finnish naming conventions, that way anyone working in that area could assist with defining the rules the consistency checker could use.

I know that the naming consistency check has been invaluable in finding errors in Australian profiles, it would be great if it could also work for Finnish profiles.

Sorry I had another look at Heikki Jalmari Jaakonpoika Huhtala
It seems that his "birth surname" is blank which is causing the inconsistency.
If you add in the surname that he had at birth (which was probably Huhtala) the inconsistency will go away.

Showing 181-210 of 366 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion