Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 3 posts
Private User
11/7/2019 at 3:36 PM

I am beginning work on the family d'Estouteville starting with Robert I where I have a particular interest because he is in a direct line, my 27th great grandfather. I have the approval of Maria to proceed with this and will keep you advised here of progress and major changes.

of note...
1. I am breaking the connection to Robert Verdon as the father. It appears this relationship was established because they were successive Governors of Ambrainces
2. Robert was on the losing side in the Battle of Tinchebray 28 Sep 1106, was imprisoned in England by King Henry I of England on died in prison after that date. his body was not returned to Chateau Valmont until sometime later by his grandson Robert III

Private User
11/7/2019 at 8:22 PM

I'm going to re-number the Roberts as most other number makes the numbers continuous for the French line. There are fewer Roberts in the English line.

Private User
11/7/2019 at 8:30 PM

This comment will be added to the Overview:
Charles Cawley identifies this person as Amaurie. The Dictionary of the Nobility identifies this person as Maurice. The journal Notes and Queries from 1870, had an intriguing article discussing the name Elmore and its derivations; following is the discussion in part: ELMORE (Ph S. vi. 231.)—This word and its cognates may be either Saxon or Celtic. If the former, its meaning will be simply very great; if the latter, it is a member of a large family, the relationship between whose members are not always recognized. Almaric is a common medieval name, looking at first sight Saxon, but on closer inspection, it reveals itself as Celtic. In legal Latin, it becomes Almaricus, with the feminine Almeria: in French proper its form is Amaury (dropping the c): in Breton French it drops the Al, becoming Meric; while in England it was naturalized as Almore or Elmore. The addition of "poor letter H” according to our island fashion, makes it Helmore. And since in our earliest state records we find Amaury and Maurice used interchangeably for the same person, it seems extremely probable that Maurice is but a softened form of Meric, and has no connection, as is generally supposed, with 'Mauritius.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion