Started by Private User on Saturday, October 19, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 25 posts
Private User
10/19/2019 at 8:50 PM

I have just read a scholarly analysis of the last will and testament document of Benveniste de Saporta that shatters what is now appearing in this section of the tree. Here is the original article: https://www.academia.edu/7867357/El_testamento_de_Benvenist_de_Sapo...

For those who do not read Spanish here are the main points which are all detailed in the document: 1) the family's 'surname' is de Saporta, or de za porta, or de Porta, not Benveniste (in this post I am using de Saporta), 2) Benveniste is a given name used by the family, 3) the brother of Benveniste de Saporta is Yonah Astrug de Saporta, where Yonah is the shem hakodesh and Astrug is the kinnui, 4) since the shem hakodesh of Nachmanides (Ramban) is Moshe, it stands to reason that Moshe Astrug ben Nachman (Ramban) is not the same person as Yonah Astrug de Saporta and therefore RAMBAN IS NOT THE BROTHER OF BENVENISTE DE SAPORTA, 5) the name Vidal which appears on this profile now is not mentioned at all in the document as being associated with Benveniste de Saporta, 6) the document mentions quite a few members of the family including a son Avraham Vidal de Saporta (translator to King Jaime II) and a daughter Tolsanam, and a deceased son named Perfeit: so there is no evidence in the document for the name Perfet Garcia or Todros Garcia as now appear listed on children on this profile (I leave it to others to substantiate how Perfet de Saporta became Perfet Garcia and the existence of another son named Todros Garcia , 7) the father of Benveniste de Saporta is given in the document as Avraham Vidal de Saporta: I do not know whether there is other evidence supporting the name Abram Alfaquim which is given here as the father of Benveniste de Saporta but leave that to others to confirm, 8) the above facts disprove the possibility that Benveniste da Saporta and Ramban share the same father which is the way the GENI tree is now sketched: I do not know the father of Ramban but it stands to reason that his name is Nachman since Ramban's name is Moshe ben Nachman (hence Nachmanides).

I believe the error as to Benveniste de Saporta being the sibling of Ramban comes from the 'Ramban' Jewish Encyclopedia entry which states: "...his brother was Benveniste da Porta, the bailie of Barcelona (Jacobs, "Sources," p. 130)." I do not know which source is referred to here as the Jacobs. "Sources", P.130, but I would guess that the error comes from there.

Considering these documented facts, I think it reasonable to conform the GENI tree in this section to what is presented in the last will and testament of Benveniste de Saporta.If there are other contemporaneous documents proving another scenario then please cite and summarize them here.

Private User
10/19/2019 at 8:53 PM

PS: I neglected to mention that the document is from the year 1268 CE!

Private User
10/20/2019 at 9:08 AM

PSS: Since I believe the kinnui of Bonastruc or Astrug for Moshe ben Nachman (Ramban) is from the erroneous Jewish Encyclopedia source (which has then been echoed on to Wikipedia), it seems appropriate to say that there is no good evidence of either Bonastruc or Astrug having any connection to Ramban and that all such references may be removed. This should also be done on Wikipedia, if possible.

Private User
11/15/2019 at 7:49 AM

Dear Randy, When you have a moment please review this discussion. Since I am not a curator I do not feel comfortable making edits on important rabbinical lineages. This one pertains to Ramban and involves an actual will from that time. So far, on one from the profile has responded to the discussion. Randy Schoenberg
Appreciatively, Adam

11/15/2019 at 8:16 PM

Thank you Private User. I am tagging curators with more potential ability in this area. Jarrett Ross (112-1701-241-22), Private User, Jacob Marrache

Also tagging the mp of Ramban Nahmanides

11/15/2019 at 11:35 PM

Randy Schoenberg
Private User
For the ramban, there is now surely an "error" in his profile (for his father) The ramban's father was nachman and therefore his nickname in Hebrew:
Rabbi Moshe Ben Nachman
רבי משה בן נחמן

Private User
11/20/2019 at 8:16 AM

I have created an unattached tree for the genealogy presented by the Last Will and Testament of Benveniste de Saporta from the year 1268: Benvenist bar Isaac, Nasi, haRoffe de Ramon Berengeur IV
When the curators of Vidal Benveniste de Porta (Perfet Nasi) have reviewed the situation they are welcome to merge my unattached tree in any manner deemed appropriate by them.

11/20/2019 at 8:36 AM

Private User
It intrigues me if you checked if there is a connection between the Benvenishi family and the Horowitz family.
I read confusing information every time, one writes that there is no connection, another writes that there is a connection

Private User
11/20/2019 at 9:33 AM

It's been disputed for an few years. This new finding is really helpful. It's doubtful the family just popped up from the middle of nowhere. BUT, records from 900 years ago aren't always so easy to find, especially when they involve a people despised by so many of the powerful in so many places.

11/20/2019 at 9:46 AM

Private User
From what I know, we had an early father who came to the Czech Republic (to my knowledge he came there from Spain,But I may be wrong and he came there from another European country), changed his last name to halevi and his grandson (our great grandfather), when he bought the town of Horowitz.
Changed the surname to Horowitz. Because he wanted people know that they are Levites family,He added haLevi to the family name,,

Private User
11/20/2019 at 9:47 AM

If you had the documentation of THAT, it would be outstanding!

Private User
11/20/2019 at 9:47 AM

I am certainly not an expert on the Benvenisti-Horowitz connection. What I have in my records is that Maria Benveniste (who is the a descendant of the tree being discussed in this thread) marries a Yitzach Shimon HaLevy (Isaac Simon Ha-Levi, judio de Soria) who is in turn a descendant of Yitzach Shlomo HaLevy (Yitzhak Shlomo HaLevi). According to the GENI profile of YSh HaLevy, his father is described as "Roots of the Halevi-Horowitz family to the Prophet Samuel". So this would be one way that there is a Benveniste-Horowitz connection. I also have in my records that this same YSh HaLevy is the ancestor of another branch that leads directly to the first Horowitz (Rabbi Joseph HaLevi). So it appears to me that there is a Benvenisti-Horowitz connection but I have never personally studied the sources underlying the genealogy presented on GENI.

11/20/2019 at 9:56 AM

Private User
I have no record, nor do I remember that my father mentioned the surname Benveniste, And I am descended to horowitcz from a number of different branches
Private User
I spoke with Naftali Aharon Wakstein last week about the prophet Samuel,I am indeed his offspring, but through primordial mother,

Private User
11/20/2019 at 10:07 AM

Haim Wartski: Good to know. It would be really great for the research community if Mr. Wakstein would cite his sources for the Prophet Samuel lineage on the GENI ascendant tree prior to YShlomo HaLevi.

11/20/2019 at 10:16 AM

Private User
Offering you to contact him, he is a lovely person. After over a year of researching my grandmother's family, I beginTo investigate my grandfather's family, the job is much more difficult because it is a branch within branches. I contacted him, and in the telephone conversation he already found information about my great grandfather (1).
We arranged to meet, but because he is a busy person and me too, it is difficult for us to schedule a date, but it will be soon

11/20/2019 at 10:22 AM

Private User
I'll give an example: My great grandfather (4) wrote the book" gaon zvi " but there were a number of people who wrote a book by that name,After researching, I came to the conclusion that it was Rabbi Zvi Hirsch ab"d risha.To make sure I called Naftali, he immediately understood why I was asking him, and he confirmed that I am right.

Private User
11/21/2019 at 8:38 AM

Haim Wartski, HaCohen I'd be eager to speak with Mr. Wakstein. Could you ask his permission to provide me with his email address?

11/21/2019 at 10:46 PM

Private User

I will send you a private message with the details of his email
Please note: It may take him months to answer you

11/21/2019 at 10:56 PM

Private User
I sent you the email address, please confirm

11/22/2019 at 8:40 AM

Private User
Private User
In the book: ben porat yosef,in hebrew:
בן פורת יוסף
page:508
It does indeed appear that the Horowitz family is from the Benvenishi family, there is a list of son by son,
If you have a subscription to the site:ozar hachohma,
You can read the list. Unfortunately, I don't have a subscription,But even from the partial information I can read there, I can see very well (in Hebrew) that the origin of the Horowitz family is from the Benvenishi family,.

Private User
11/22/2019 at 9:14 AM

Haim Wartski, HaCohen Shabbat shalom! I don't have the book, but we can certainly hope that the new evidence will restore the connection at some point in the future. It's unlikely that the family would suddenly appear in Central Europe from the Middle East. The more likely migration route would have come from North Africa to Spain, Amsterdam, Venice.... etc.

11/22/2019 at 9:27 AM

Private User
I'm sure there are people(in geni) who have subscribed.I wrote both the name of the book and the page number where the list appears, everyone is welcome to read.

11/22/2019 at 10:38 AM

Private User
Anyone who can help, I welcome him
Do you have a subscription to ozar hachohma?

Private User
11/22/2019 at 10:58 AM

I reposted this comment to add one more thing: I am seeing evidence of various unrelated and very old Benveniste trees so it could be that not all Benvenistes are related.

The book Ben Porat Yosef was written by Don Yossef Nasi (Don Yossef Nassi - דון יוסף נשיא). According to the JewishEncyclopedia he was a 'kinsman' of Abraham Benveniste (http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/11333-nasi-joseph-duke-o...). However, according to GENI there is no blood relationship between Don Yossef Nasi and Joseph HaLevy (gd.Father of 1st Horowitz: see 'About' in his profile for discussion of Horowitz-Benveniste disconnection): https://geni.com/jmd5Z, So besides what I mentioned above about Maria Benveniste (who is actually a De Saporta) marrying into the HaLevy family, I don't see a blood relationship. I have invited Private User who may be able to share some of the latest knowledge on the subject of a Horowits-Benveniste consanguinity. Haim Wartski, (HaCohen): Thanks for the email I will try to contact Mr. Wakstein.

Private User
11/22/2019 at 11:01 AM

Haim Wartski, HaCohen I don't have a subscription nor do I have the time to study the Benveniste-Horowitz matter at this moment. I have several research projects already underway. I'll get back to you when I hear from Mr. Wakstein.

Showing all 25 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion