George Soule, "Mayflower" Passenger - @George Soule, "Mayflower Passenger"

Started by Katie Smith on Saturday, September 28, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 20 posts
9/28/2019 at 3:50 PM

There is now new DNA evidence to prove the ancestry of George Soule. Which is amazing as there has been so much conjecture over the past 400 years. It has been determined that George Soule is of Dutch Ancestry and his parents are very likely to have been as shown in this article. The two major references are these:

1) Record of the Celebration of the Tercentenary of the Introduction of the Art of Printing into Aberdeen by Edward Raban in the Year 1622" (Aberdeen, Scotland: The Master Printers' Guild, 1922) p. 42
2) Louise Walsh Throop, "William Brewster's Subterfuge" Mayflower Descendant Volume 66, Number 1 (Winter 2018) pp. 14-22
3) A L E Verheyden, "Anabaptism in Flanders 1530-1650" (1946, reprinted 1961) p. 31
Louise Walsh Throop, "Further Searching for the Origins of Mayflower Passenger George Soule: Printer's Devil in Leiden?" Soule Kindred Newsletter Volume 43 No. 4 p. 10 (Autumn 2009)

If you have followed the DNA studies involving the Harrington families in America, Louis Walsh Throop was also involved in those that earlier debunked the connection between the Throope family here and the Col. Adrian Scrope in England that was hanged, drawn & quartered for treason.

Earlier researchers into Soule's origin believed in the London association of Winslow and Soule.[7] Thus, based on this belief, and for five years ending in 2009, noted Mayflower researcher and biographer Caleb Johnson managed a fairly intensive search for Soule's English origins; he examined a number of likely 'George Soules' in various parts of England and subsequently concluded that the most promising candidate of all the 'George Soules' he reviewed was that of Tingrith, Bedfordshire, baptized in February 1594/5.[8] No Y-DNA signatures have been paired yet with any of these families.

More recent work in 2017 has identified the parents of George Soule through a high-quality Y-DNA match of Soule with families in Scotland and Australia. Following up on research published by Louise Walsh Throop in 2009, the DNA study pointed to Soule's parents as Jan Sol and his wife Mayken Labis, who are identified by their marriage as Protestant refugees in London, England, in 1586 and by the baptisms of their children before 1600 in Haarlem, Holland.[9] Their eldest known son Johannes Sol is identified by his baptism in 1591, as well as by his permissions in both Haarlem and Leyden to marry in Leyden. Johannes Sol, a printer in Leyden with one known publication, died suddenly, probably while helping William Brewster in the presswork for the Perth Assembly.[10] His apprentice, Edward Raban, apparently fled to Scotland in 1619 in order to avoid being apprehended by agents of the King of England. It appears he was accompanied by the pregnant widow of his master and probably took with him the missing press of Brewster, as well as the telltale type and initials from Brewster; Raban also apparently took with him the Sol press and type. Edward Raban in 1622 published a very veiled version of his master's shocking death, well hidden in a discussion of drunkenness and resultant whoredom.[11] It would appear all helpers in the press work and distribution of "Perth Assembly" took an oath of silence that was never breached, even after King James I died in 1625.[12]

Some researchers have pointed to circumstantial evidence that George Soule's family may have had Sephardic (Converso) Jewish roots, due to "Sol/Soule" being a common Sephardic name[13] and "Soule" (the version George used in his will) being a Basque province. There is no y-DNA evidence to suggest that Soule has either Spanish or Jewish roots, as current research indicates [14]. Soule's daughter-in-law, Rebecca Simonson, daughter of colonist, Moses Simonson, may have had Jewish ancestry, [15][16] and Soule's printing colleague, Edward "Raban was from a Jewish-descended family in Germany."[17]

It is likely that George's presumed father Jan Sol, who married as a refugee in 1586 in London, was the grandson of Jan van Sol. This Jan van Sol was a zealous opponent of Anabaptism, which he saw in 1550 as divided into three movements: the Melchiorites (the peaceful Mennonite group), the Davidites, and the Batenburgers.[18] Jan van Sol was born at Dordrecht, in South Holland, but left the Netherlands in 1530 because of debts (he kept an inn there) and went east to Danzig. There he was known as Johann/Jan Solius (the Latin version of his name). In 1536 he bought the "Robitten" estate near Bardeyn in East Prussia. He returned in 1550 to Brussels but may have spent his last years, until about 1556, in the territory of Preussisch-Holland. A presumed son born about 1525, and by naming patterns was probably named Georg, would have married about 1555 perhaps in Brussels, and thus would have been the father of Jan Sol of the 1586 marriage record in London. This Jan Sol and wife Maecken had seven children baptized in the Dutch Reformed Church of Haarlem in 1590-99.[19]

The new findings are, of course, still under investigation but it does appear that a definitive connection to any English family has been ruled out and no concrete documentation exists suggesting an English connection.

It is surmised that Johannes Sol of Holland was George's brother and that they, along with Winship, William Brewster and also his brother George Soule (Sol) were involved in the printing of the book called the "Perth Assembly" which was smuggled into Scotland in wine vats probably from Belgian. It vilified the Five Articles of Perth which basically forced all Scottish citizens to agree to Episcopaleon rule over the Church of England and Scotland. There were many that disagreed and it now appears as though Winship and George Soule fled from England to the colonies after the brutal death of his brother Johannes in London.
I am interested to see where the research goes!
Thanks, Katie Smith

Private User
9/28/2019 at 4:08 PM

Wow! This is amazing. Thank you so much for sharing. I am very curious to see how this turns out.
Regards,
Meredith H Christian
A Baptist

9/28/2019 at 4:15 PM

Following, he may have been my 9th Ggf

9/28/2019 at 5:43 PM

Where can we get a copy of the >> Edward Raban in 1622 published a very veiled version of his master's shocking death, well hidden in a discussion of drunkenness and resultant whoredom.<< Particularly the details on the drunkenness and whoredom.

I am come across several references to other family members involved in fines for fornication and/or giving a strange look at service (I guess the original evil eye) and/or idle gossip.

I wonder what DNA strand those follow....

At least it's a lover and not a fighter...

9/28/2019 at 5:56 PM

This is fascinating. Is there a link to the research publications? I would think

Louise Walsh Throop, "William Brewster's Subterfuge" Mayflower Descendant Volume 66, Number 1 (Winter 2018) pp. 14-22

Is available at AmericanAncestors?

So it’s all about the printing press? Figures ....

9/28/2019 at 6:07 PM

Found Jan van Sol here.

“Dutch Anabaptism” By Cornelius Krahn

https://books.google.com/books?id=7jdLAwAAQBAJ&amp;lpg=PA283&amp;ot...

—-

https://soulekindred.org/resources/Documents/Newsletters/PDF-Newsle...

Page 9 - 10 outlines the Sol family in Haarlem.

(Still looking for Ed Raban for you, Dean)

9/28/2019 at 6:23 PM

http://www.genealogywise.com/m/group?id=3463583%3AGroup%3A20948&amp...

“You found the first son of Jan and Mayken Sol!! This man Johannes was a printer in Leiden, and the way I read the literature he died in a tragic house fire about 1618/9,probably in Leiderdorf next to Leiden....”

9/28/2019 at 6:27 PM

https://www.americanancestors.org/uploadedfiles/media/mayflower_des...

“In William Brewster’s Subterfuge, Louise Walsh Throop explores William Brewster’s trouble with printing separatist literature while in Holland, his use of his Dutch patronymic in the early years of Plymouth Colony, and various possibilities of how this trouble affected the publishing of the Mayflower Compact. Also discussed are Brewster’s other printing partners, including Johannes Sol, brother of George1 Soule.”

9/29/2019 at 7:40 AM

Yes. Louise Walsh Throop probably is the most familiar and she has been involved in several DNA projects with regards to her Throop vs Scrope issues. And also a DNA study of the Robert and Benjamin Harrington families. And now this study looking for the Soule connection. Everyone always assumed he came from England. Now we have some proof of his Dutch ancestry. And it does look of is George Soule is probably the brother of Johannes Soule (Sol) who was they said killed in a “printing ink accident” which they actually think could have been arson or even murder. Apparently his wife and Raban escaped to Scotland along with both printing presses and the type which would have condemned them probably to death. I would love to see Raban article myself! And as soon as I can I’ll post the link for the information In my first post. Thanks for the additional links too! I love a good mystery. So that’s why the Mayflower Contract was not published for years until after pretty much everyone was dead. And the type from the printers would have totally incriminated them because they were hand forged and each set was different enough to identify who owned them.

10/22/2019 at 9:00 PM

This is the link to the Wikipedia article on the new information about George Soule. He and William Brewster along with Edward Winslow all came on the Mayflower together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Soule_(Mayflower_passenger)

It appears that they and their families were all part of the movement of Protestants that opposed the English government's control of the orthodoxy of the church both in England and Scotland. King James I had imposed the Five Rules of Perth on Scotland and many separatists rebelled against it. William Brewster and several others fled to Holland and were involved in printing and distribution of pamphlets and books that stated their disagreement with the King's doctrine. So they were under duress and fled to Holland but were smuggling the books back into Scotland for distribution. And it appears that they managed to escape to the colonies on the Mayflower possibly to avoid arrest and prison. And that is ANOTHER reason why they signed the Mayflower Compact- as a way to keep their identities secret. And the Mayflower Compact was hidden and not released for public view until after all the involved parties were deceased. I am guessing it was a form of sedition?
Super intriguing....

11/5/2019 at 2:26 PM

Erica- do we need to remove the listed parents of George Soule on his page in Geni ? I am thinking they should be removed now that there is some proof that the ones listed are definitely not his parents. I suppose parents would need to be left blank for now or at least entered as Jan Sol and wife Maiken as "presumed" parents? Sorry, I just didn't know for sure how this works!
Regards, Katie Smith

11/5/2019 at 7:49 PM

Please upload more records and fill in more data. I don’t have records, just this discussion.

Jan Sol

His wife Mayken Soule

Their oldest son Johannes Sol

11/7/2019 at 10:17 AM

Okay I’ll send you the information from Louise Throop-Walsh from the publication of the Soule Kindred Newsletter

11/7/2019 at 10:24 AM

I think I found it - https://soulekindred.org/resources/Documents/Newsletters/PDF-Newsle...

The rest of their kids need entry, and also, vital records for the baptisms if we can.

11/12/2019 at 1:28 PM

Yes! That’s it! Thank you
Katie

12/26/2019 at 1:27 PM

George Soule could have been descended from the Soule's of Arbroath Scotland, whose ancestor Soule was one of the signers of the Declaration of Arbroath. But there is a 300-year gap between Wiliam Soule and George.

3/4/2020 at 7:35 PM

Lewis Sowles- I am sure it's possible- There was I'm sure over those years, many instances of whole families moving to and from Scotland to the continent and especially to Belgium, Holland and the Netherlands. I would think it entirely possible that the Soule or Sol family could have originated in Scotland and then have descendants in Holland many years later. There is that DNA study that proved descendants in Scotland which could have been direct descendants from the child Johann's wife was carrying when she fled to Scotland but there certainly could have already been Soules in Scotland prior to that time as well! Interesting point!

3/4/2020 at 8:03 PM

Erica! Thank you so much for the additional links to info! I have now found out that my MOTHER is descended from William Brewster which just make this whole thing really interesting and incredible to me!

Showing all 20 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion