Started by Private User on Wednesday, September 18, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 40 posts
Private User
9/18/2019 at 1:15 AM

Only Kings, princes and princess may be adressed in this way. It is a way to adress a King, princes and princesses.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Highness

It is no title. Geni has fields for titles, names, middlenames and familynames.

HRH can be added to a name, but on Geni that would be in the field "also know as" or "Display Name".

This discussion can be used to discuss the use of HRH on Geni and ask for the removal of the HRH for public profiles that are not a Royal Highness.

Private User
9/18/2019 at 1:23 AM

Private User feel free to react and post examples of use of HRH in public Geni profiles.

Private User
9/18/2019 at 1:24 AM

Livio Scremin please feel free to add you comments about the subject of HRH here.

9/18/2019 at 2:29 AM

I wouldn’t use a mode of address in name fields. It’s not a name: it’s what you say when talking to someone (with a curtsey).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Highness

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_II

9/18/2019 at 2:33 AM

For fun, here’s a list of all royal Elizabeth’s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth

Notice: no HRH for any. It’s not a name or a title.

Private User
9/18/2019 at 3:53 AM

Its like Mr to an academic.

9/18/2019 at 5:29 AM

well you have already said everything, I can only repeat here what I wrote on the big forum:

- "the treatment" has social purposes, not functional. Use it if you want to write him/her a letter or go to his house to drink a tea.. PLZ do not begin to spread acronyms that change from language to language, position to position, rank to rank around the tree ^^'
Because we're not just talking about HRH, but a very long list of acronyms for each social position, often even in contrast with one & another.
*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Style_(manner_of_address)_

( ..& acronyms are not translatable: think how you translated UFO or PC into other languages :)

Private User
9/18/2019 at 10:58 AM

I will continue to try to find more use of HRH on Geni. Some are used correctly I must say.

See https://www.geni.com/search?search_type=people&names=HRH

9/18/2019 at 11:15 AM

well, now that you make me think about it, the right place where one can put it could be alias / nickname "field".

and of course if you want to excel in the "about" description.. ..when the phrase   begins presenting the character .. (exactly how the purpose is born)

{[(but now more than excellences, it would be enough for me from one day to another to beat the record of inserted profiles, one not to clone lines of a thousand years ago to merge-_- whipping away completely of how he change the names set in multilingual, and also leaving the parental conflicts -_-'))}

9/18/2019 at 12:10 PM

Jeroen, I’m no expert! But it does not seem to me that use of HRH in a name field is correct. Fine in AKA.

Thank you for the efforts.

The analogy with Mr. is difficult. In some languages it is an actual title. But not in English: there it is a mode of address.

It seems to be used inconsistency on the royal profiles
Sisters
HRH Princess Eugenie Victoria Helena of York
Princess Beatrice of York

Sorry inconsistency should be inconsistently

Geni is very popular to royalty too. Here are HRH users
* Private User
* HRH Princess Alexandra Mountbatten-Windsor
* Private User
* Private User
* Private User
* Private User
* Private User isolated
* Private User
* Private User
* HRH C isolated
* Private User
* HRH Royal Datu Cabaylo II of the Cuyunon Tribe, Pretender to the Kingdom of Taytay, and as Datu Pinadu of Coron Island; Datu Pinadu of the Royal House of Aranan of Sulu and Sabah and Hereditary Duke of the Royal House of Heristal, Knight of Rizal
* Private User
* robert c justice, HRH PRINCE OF ISLE OF MAN EARL OF MAYO
* HRH. Prince Richard Bradley, of Judah isolated
* Private User
* Private User
* Private
* Private User
* Private User
* HRH Prince Johnathan, Duke of Aquitaine, Count of Valois
* Private User
* Private User
* Private User isolated

Noah Wilson 'Bud' Ogle has a child Sarah Jane Gibson who had a child Her Royal Highness Princess Alice, Duchess of Rouen

According to http://www.thekingealogy.com/tng/getperson.php?personID=I24344&... Noah did not have a daughter Sarah let alone a royal grand-daughter. Unless someone can prove a source for Sarah I suggest detaching Sarah from Noah

9/18/2019 at 8:48 PM

in the presence of name and surname the titles use the lower case letter,
Uppercase when referring to a person by naming the title instead of the name:
- Erica Howton, queen of Geni!
- I'm talking about the Queen of Geni.
which apparently the whole Anglo-Saxon world has forgotten
(acronyms always UPPERCASE)

HRH. Prince Richard Bradley, of Judah
10/1/2019 at 6:24 AM

The over use of HRH or claiming Royality in general is frankly overused by many who want to make themselves more important than they actually are. Even those in power over country and state claim Divine rights that are fallacy or fiction to dupe those citizens into believing they are Royal and over them by right. I can prove my right as God is my Right Dieu est mon droit as no other can! The thing with some “royal” families with a small r they rely on being unchallenged in place sometimes for a few centuries that the populous do not question their validity which came by nothing more of an invitation to take over or buying their way in as in The example of England with the name changed Windsor’s...

Private User
10/2/2019 at 2:50 AM

The subject of the discussion is the use of HRH in the big tree.

Private User
10/2/2019 at 9:20 PM

Amused

Me too, Private User
My mum would say "Pot Kettle Black"

Private User
10/3/2019 at 4:01 AM

🤣

The situation in the Philippines where thousands are literally descended from ancient nobilities and royalties is different. Philippine use is not like its European counterpart. Much is explained in my book Royalty and Nobility in the Philippine Islands: from ancient to modern era. This is the only reference which extensively tackles the subject as used and understood in these islands. It also discusses their predicament after Spanish colonization, American occupation and now the establishment of the Philippine Republic that not so long ago passed the IPRA Law that recognizes the ancient rights of the islanders. It also examines their current standing before the International nobiliary law.

Private User
10/4/2019 at 7:10 AM

As far as I know the HRH is only used for european nobility, but I could be wrong. But is good to know that in the philippines the situation is different. I know that in Africa there are also a lot of princes and kings.

Private User
10/4/2019 at 7:29 AM
Private User
10/4/2019 at 7:58 AM

Only used in England. Norwegian royals, as an example does not use english titles.

Leanne M (Volunteer Curator - Australia) 🇦🇺 I as the great great grandson of Sarah Jane Gibson do know by family records that Sarah Jane Gibsonis the daughter of Noah Wilson 'Bud' Ogle

HRH Prince Johnathan, Duke of Aquitaine, Count of Valois, do you have any source documents proving Sarah is the daughter of Noah?

Private User
10/8/2019 at 3:34 PM

From the above notes...

A British queen is always HM (Her Majesty), never HRH (Her Royal Highness)

The consort of Queen Victoria was His Serene Highness Prince Albert until his marriage when he was endowed with the British HRH.

The German Kaiser was styled "His Imperial and Royal Highness"

His Imperial Majesty was used for the Russian czar, and others. (love the acronym)

His Highness (HH, no Royal) is used for the Aga Khan and others, including British personages.

As these are simply styles or forms of address they are not relevant to genealogy.

Showing 1-30 of 40 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion