Mary Brewster (unknown), "Mayflower" Passenger - Relationships

Started by Kristin Felicia VanNest on Monday, September 16, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 17 posts
9/16/2019 at 7:40 AM

it's funny that here, she registers as "Mary Brewster, "Mayflower" Passenger is your first cousin 6 times removed's wife's fourth great grandmother.
No blood relationship was found."
But I have had her in my ancestry tree for some time and she (and her husband William) are my 11th ggm/ggf.
The merges all over greni really screw that up!

9/16/2019 at 8:15 AM

It's so confusing! I have my family tree all written out by my grandmother many many years ago, based on documents she had, so I know it's accurate. Hard to say where it goes sideways!

Private User
9/16/2019 at 10:06 AM

Wendy Graca

I thought that the "grandmother tree" was accurate too! In my case there were "unproven" connections that have turned out to be false. I am not sure how it happened but possibly it was what was believed to be true at the time? Some lines are very well documented and others are in conflict. It's an uphill battle, lol

Mary Brewster, "Mayflower" Passenger is your 12th great grandmother.
You
→ Roger Sheldon Scott
your father → Charles M "Don" Scott
his father → Charles Lincoln Scott
his father → Sarah Ann Bonnett
his mother → Catherine Florence Bonnett
her mother → Sally Staats
her mother → Pickett Marvin
her father → Capt. Timothy Marvin
his father → Catherine Marvin
his mother → Sarah Mather
her mother → Ruth Noyes
her mother → Ruth Hill
her mother → Jonathan Brewster
her father → Mary Brewster, "Mayflower" Passenger
his mother

9/16/2019 at 11:06 AM

Dear Kristin,
In my case the clouds of confusion start with the family of Lee the Immigrant. According to history books, I'm descended from Hancock Lee and his 2nd wife, which makes the Brewsters about my 10th gt-grandparents. Then a genealogist decided an old Bible's family tree was a forgery (who fakes family trees?) and I wasn't a Lee at all. I challenged her to look again, wherein she deduced I descend from Hancock's brother, thus losing the Brewsters from my family tree.
As for the truth in all this fuss and feathers, who knows?

Private User
9/16/2019 at 11:48 AM

I don't contribute to any Geni tree, but I have traced forward via Geni profiles from William & Mary Brewster thus: Patience Brewster Prence, Hannah Prence (widow Sparrow) Mayo, Capt. Samuel Mayo, Jr., Samuel Mayo, Rebecca Mayo Higgins, Samuel Higgins, Judah Higgins, Allen Higgins, William Wright Higgins, Lola Ellen Higgins Tillinghast to my mother Margaret Elizabeth Tillinghast Angell. Making William & Mary my 10th ggf/ggm. Comments welcome.

9/16/2019 at 1:54 PM

Checked my geni.com paths and Patience Brewster is still my 10th great grandmother. But a new merge shows her as my 5th great uncle's fourth great grandmother too now.
My paths run through the Whitney, Hinkley line. I followed both paths and saw where they changed. I believe it comes down to Seth and Samuel Hinkley (brothers). Both had a daughter named Patience and some people get them mixed up. One was a mormon and had alot of kids.

9/16/2019 at 2:01 PM

When you visit a Geni profile and ask for your relationship to it, you’ll see a link: share this path. You can copy / paste it, this is Kristin’s :

https://www.geni.com/path/Kristin-VanNest+is+related+to+Mary-Brewst...

That way anyone can click on each of the links & view each profile in the path. Makes it easier to see if there’s a problem, at least for me.

Yes, there have been a lot of new & unnecessary Brewster duplicates. But I’m thinking that Kristin may actually have multiple pathways to the Brewster’s.

Also see this project for hints on exploring relationships:

https://www.geni.com/projects/Working-with-Relationships/17570

9/16/2019 at 2:28 PM

yeah, I am related to the Prence's as well (Rebecca fFeeman (Prence) is my 9th ggm, and it doesn't show a relation to her at all here.....

Private User
9/16/2019 at 2:32 PM

Speaking of multiple paths, refer back to my post above and run this one: Wm & Mary, Patience Brewster Prence, Mercy Prence Freeman (Hannah's sister), Edmund Freeman, Sarah Freeman Higgins, Paul Higgins, Samuel Higgins, etc. to me.
Better yet, I can trace 4 parallel paths from 4 of the children of Mayflower passenger
Giles Hopkins (1607-1690) to William Wright Higgins (as above) to me. Ain't this fun!!

9/16/2019 at 3:28 PM

Kristin Felicia VanNest I was expecting to see you with closer Geni relationships to other passengers also (Doty, Standish ...). I’m thinking your Geni tree error must be down the tree, more in the Morton / Ellis area; and that’s of course not as familiar to me as William Brewster & his kids.

Can you try “walking your Geni tree” while comparing it with your Ancestry tree?

9/16/2019 at 3:30 PM

Everett, you’re an example ! There were only 21 families having children, so if you get one, you get a whole crew.

I’m still a closest cousin to the John Alden “witch” of Salem.

Private User
9/16/2019 at 10:11 PM

Hello All,

I see several of you are related to Mary Brewster and of course the main topic of discussion is still what her real last name was if it is Wentworth or not as I see in in my family tree information, but no real proof. Do any of you have proof of what her real last name is by chance? Just checking into it and seeing if someone else has the same information as I do. Just curious. Glad to see so many new relatives no matter how distant or removed.

Private User
9/17/2019 at 6:28 AM

Regarding the question "who fakes family trees?", the answer is, unfortunately, "lots of people".

Sometimes it's an innocent mistake, as in misreading "Cutler" as "Custis" (my grandmother made that one), or assuming that two persons with the same unusual first name and the same surname were the same person when they weren't (Josephus Burton Waters and Josephus "W." Waters).

Sometimes it's not so innocent, as in wanting to lay claim to an illustrious or noble or royal family line and falsifying evidence to make it so (charlatans like Gustave Anjou made quite a good living at this).

9/17/2019 at 6:35 AM

Private User If there’s ever proof it will be published by the Mayflower Society and American Ancestors (NEHGS). Anything else is theoretical only.

There’s a Constance (Dudley) Hopkins who is the bane of the Hopkins trees: an attempt to tie that old & rambunctious soldier to Royalty. Never happened.

In fact, there’s no nobility among any surviving Separatists, Pilgrims or Puritans, as far as I know.

Private User
9/17/2019 at 6:47 AM

As to the Brewster connection specifically, I think it may have been a jurisdictional ruling to keep people from claiming membership in both the Mayflower Society and the First Families of Virginia. (Descendants of Isaac Allerton have their very own club, the Pilgrim Isaac Allerton Society http://www.isaacallerton.com/ .)

9/17/2019 at 9:01 AM

You
→ Dianne Alicia VanNest
your mother → Kenneth Foss "Mac" McCully
her father → Fred Samuel McCully
his father → Horatio Nelson McCully
his father → Sarah McCully
his mother → George Augustus Morton
her father → Rebecca Morton
his mother → Elizabeth Ellis
her sister → Philip Ellis

her son → Rebecca Ellis*****
his wife → Capt. Moses Perry
her father → Samuel Perry, Sr.
his father → Rebecca Perry
his mother → Rebecca Freeman
her mother → Patience Prence
her mother → Mary Brewster, "Mayflower" Passenger
her mother
ok the line messes up for me here with Philp Ellis' wife, Rebecca (Perry). Here it says "first cousin 6 times removed's wife." when in actuality, on my ancestry tree, because I have a few ways I am related to the Ellis' and Freemans, she is my 3rd cousin 6x removed. So her father my 2nd cousin. His father Samuel my 1st cousin. And his mother Rebecca (Freeman) is my 9th great aunt (her sister Patience is my ggm), Then her mother Rebecca (Prence) (I also have lines with the Prence's) is my 9th ggm, then her mother Patience (Brewster) is my 10th ggm, Then Mary is my 11th ggm.
Here is says Mary is my first cousin 6 times removed's wife's fourth great grandmother.
The mix up HERE (Geni) all seems to start at Rebecca (Perry) Ellis and onward

9/17/2019 at 11:15 AM

Kristin Felicia VanNest I agree with your theory, and it looks like the Geni tree “is” in sync with your Ancestry tree.

Mary (unknown) Brewster, "Mayflower" Passenger is Rebecca (Perry) Ellis' fourth great grandmother

https://www.geni.com/path/Rebecca-Ellis+is+related+to+Mary-Brewster...

Mary (unknown) Brewster, "Mayflower" Passenger is Rebecca (Perry) Ellis' uncle's third great grandmother.

https://www.geni.com/path/Rebecca-Ellis+is+related+to+Mary-Brewster...

——

We could try “walking the tree” but not sure it will “stick.”

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion