Thomas Essman - Thomas Essman born 1934, "son of John and Nancy Essman...

Started by William Eugene Essman, Sr on Thursday, September 12, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 61-90 of 113 posts

@Erica Howton, is there any short reason about the split tree thing?

@Erica Howton, here's the link on Frances Boyton. Hatte removed her as wife of Thomas, father of the five kids where she remains as mother of

John Essman

William Essman

Margaret Essman

Priscilla Essman

Catherine Esther Essman

The reason he’s in bold is because he entered the profile before you did. It’s geni’s way of defining “Primary manager”. You need to do the same with Rachel Leticia Essman and then I can easier explain everything you’ll see on that profile after that.

I’m a “show me” gal, otherwise I go very stupid. :)

Oh the other thing is to fill in the data on David Essman you just became a manager of. This is important (for me) because I’ll know that it’s your values that are correct and resolve data conflicts to them when we do the merge with John’s profile.

@Erica Howton, Here are the urls to the two people that Mr Boyd has assigned to the wrong family and I gave him an extensive explanation so he should be able to put then where they belong:

"Lizzie" Essman

William "Bill" Essman

The message I sent to Mr. Boyd and you said I should post it here also:

Gene Essman <gessmansr@gmail.com>
2:25 PM (9 hours ago)
to me

Dear Todd,

I am contacting you about this profile: "Lizzie" Essman

and

I am contacting you about this profile: William "Bill" Essman

I'm new to Geni and trying to find my way around so please forgive me if I violate some protocol issue. I was advised by a curator to contact you with the following information since you have more experience at making corrections than I.

The reason for me contacting you is that I believe you have those two people referred to in the above urls a little misplaced. I say, "I believe" because I'm not perfectly sure to whom they belong but I am convinced they don't belong to James David and Leticia Essman.

I think there's a strong possibility they belong to James Absalom Essman, aka J. A., and "Ab," an older brother of James David, but what makes me unsure is that, in the case of "Mary Elizabeth," if she is who I think she may be, I've never seen the "Mary" with the "Elizabeth."

In the case of William Benton Essman, I am aware of three, at least, and if this one belongs to Ab, which would involve him being Mary Elizabeth's possible brother, his full name was William Benton Thomas Essman while the others are just William Benton Essman.

If these two do indeed belong to Ab, you can find them together in the 1900 census of which I am including the text overview of what the census form says. Ab was married to a woman name Mary and that's all we know about her, which we got from a petition for divorce that occurred in 1893 when she abandoned the family and Ab divorced her. Ab then married Nora Ann Day who passed away prior to the 1900 census. The 70 year old Elizabeth Frazier is Ab's mother who remarried after David Essman died in 1872. Her latest husband, G. G. Frazier passed away in 1890 and I would assume that her living with James Absalom was twofold, to provide her a place to live and so she could care for the children while Ab, a day laborer, worked - just a wild guess. "Day labor" means no work, no pay - you have 3 kids you find a way and what better solution than an unoccupied grandmother who needs a place to live, right?

Ab and wife #2, Nora Ann Day, had no children but then Ab married Matilda Harper later in 1900 and they went on to have four children, two girls, Minnie Pearl and Zelma, then two boys Odell and Elzee. The 1910 census shows Ab's name as John A., which was a one time mistake to the best of my knowledge, and doesn't deserve an "aka" designation. As you'll see, all the kids Ab had with Mary have flown the nest by 1910 so finding the right Elizabeth after that may be tricky because Elizabeth was a popular name to go with Essman. I can help locate her if needed.

James A Essman
in the 1900 United States Federal Census

View1900 United States Federal Census
View blank form
Add alternate information
Report issue
Name: James A Essman
Birth Date: 1857
Birthplace: Missouri
Home in 1900: Brawley, Scott, Arkansas
Sheet Number: 15
Number of Dwelling in Order of Visitation: 272
Family Number: 278
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital status: Widowed
Father's Birthplace: Tennessee
Mother's name: Elizabeth Frazier
Mother's Birthplace: Alabama
Months Not Employed: 0
Can Read: Yes
Can Write: No
Can Speak English: Yes
House Owned or Rented: O
Home Free or Mortgaged: F
Farm or House: H
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
James A Essman 43
Mattie Essman 15
Elizabeth Essman 12
William Essman 7
Elizabeth Frazier 70

Sincerely,

William Eugene Essman

How to split trees.

Basically you ask a PRO (or curator) for help to disconnect relationships.

https://help.geni.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/222086947-How-to-Spl...

Another thing you can do is adjust your family group settings more narrowly. This will (I think) give you more ability to X off not-close cousins as co managers of your grandparents.

https://help.geni.com/hc/en-us/articles/229704427-Who-is-included-i...

https://www.geni.com/account_settings/family

But get yourself added as manager “before” you monkey with the default family group!

Who are the parents of James Absolom Essman and James David Essman? That way I can move Mary & William Benton as their children.

Who is Thomas Essman’s wife and where is he at?

Thomas Essman - is he wife unknown? What I’ll do is make her NN, ask you to take over management, and then you fill in what you know & rename her as you prefer. This way I can get the kids moved over from Frances.

Done. wife of Thomas Essman

Once I created her I moved the kids over through the relationships tab - that’s something basic members can do. Then I disconnected Frances Boyton

OK here’s James "Ab" Essman

Are his parents correct?

Are he & your James David among the children of

David Essman &
Elizabeth Bell Frazier ?

Are we ready to merge the two James David’s ?

@Erica Howton, those two last links - the people are in all the profiles but mine in my lil' tree and I don't know if they have to be removed individually or if they will disappear globally in you remove them from James David and Rachel? Here's all the urls where they are found, would be siblings. Here's all the urls those two need to be removed from, James David, Rachel Letitia, and all the kids:

James David “Dave” Essman

Rachel Leticia Essman

William Clarence Essman

David Deloss Essman

Ethel Beatrice Rainwater

Evena Katherine Hardin

Annie Lillian Essman

Mamie Bell Essman

Lydia Viola Rice

Beaulia Isabelle Essman

Wylie Frederick Essman

Retha Muriel Essman

@Erica Howton, you asked... Who are the parents of James Absolom Essman and James David Essman? That way I can move Mary & William Benton as their children.

David Essman and Elizabeth Majors Essman are the parents of both men. James Absalom is four years older than James David. I haven't added David and Elizabeth to the tree yet.

@Erica Howton, you asked... Who is Thomas Essman’s wife and where is he at?

Thomas Essman's wife is unknown, never stated anywhere I can find so far. He was initially in Greene County, TN in the early 1790s but only in County records, didn't make the census until after he moved to Monroe County, KY for 1820 census. I have not added him to the tree yet but

Added by: Jon Brees Thogmartin FTDNA Mcclendon on November 7, 2014
Managed by: Jon Brees Thogmartin FTDNA Mcclendon
Curated by: Hatte Anne Blejer

I’m a little unclear now.

Are these the correct children of James David & Letitia Gage?

(William Lawrence ... through Retha)

If they’re good to go, all I need to do is merge the two copies of James & Letitia.

I finished James "Ab" Essman if you want to check.

Good, we’re in sync, just about. But let me be clearer: you don’t need to re enter anyone! They’re already here, they may just need fixing.

I’m going to merge James David’s now. If any of the kids are misplaced, they can be moved through the relationships tab by you after that merge, and you’ll also be able to edit / fix any wrong data points.

@Erica Howton, you asked... You have French cousins??

https://fr-ca.findagrave.com/memorial/117322421/pearl-parker

APPARENTLY! LOL.

OK here’s James "Ab" Essman

Are his parents correct?

Are he & your James David among the children of

David Essman &
Elizabeth "Lizzie" (Major) Essman ?

YES

Are we ready to merge the two James David’s ?

I DIDN'T KNOW WE HAD TWO - There are problems with David Essman that need to be fixed. First, he was never married to Louella Cline. That came about when somebody merged him with a David H Essman that shouldn't have happened. It also gave him two sons named Thomas Benjamin and made one of them a step-brother to the other kids. In the process of all that another son had his name changed from William Emmsley to Thomas Emmsley.

@Erica Howton, his man's name is William Emmsley Essman, not Thomas Emmsley Essman.

William Emmsley Essman

So now that you’re connected, did you want to try editing / correcting William Eugene Essman, Sr while I spin off poor lost Louella Cline?

Oops I meant edit William Emmsley Essman

But wait a minute - sounds like Thomas Benjamin Essman belong to Louella Essman & David H Essman, is that right?

@Erica Howton, NO, Thomas Benjamin and only one of them, belonged to David and Lizzie.

Yay! I almost had a panic attack.

@Erica Howton, David looks so purty now. You're my heroine.

@Erica Howton, Wow! I'm gonna sleep better tonight. I sure can't thank you enough.

:) I like pictures. I warned you I was a “show me” gal.

Poor Louella Essman set adrift.

Now, something Geni - interesting just happened. Ray Allen Essman (12/2/1959) Had added Louella to the tree. His tree is “abandoned” (inactive manager)

https://help.geni.com/hc/en-us/articles/229706587?mobile_site=true

So I ran it from Louella before I cut her loose, and guess who inherited his profiles? :) :)

Also. I was bold. I think Rial Levi Lane is the father of Nancy Virginia (Ginni) Essman (my turn to give you a panic attack).

@Erica Howton, just about perfect. Thank you again.

@Erica Howton, you said...:) I like pictures. I warned you I was a “show me” gal.

FROM MISSOURI?

Poor Louella Essman set adrift.

WELL, LOUELLA AND DAVID H ESSMAN WERE MARRIED AND THE NANCY A ON THE TAIL END OF THE KIDS WAS THEIRS AND SHE WENT WITH THEM, LOOKS LIKE.

Now, something Geni - interesting just happened. Ray Allen Essman (12/2/1959) Had added Louella to the tree. His tree is “abandoned” (inactive manager)

YIKES! I'VE GOTTEN TO KNOW HIM IN THE PAST SIX MONTHS AND GAVE HIM ALL THESE CHANGES AND ASKED HIM TO MAKE THEM HERE WHEN I SAW THEM AND SAW THAT HE WAS MANAGING SOME PROFILES. HE DOESN'T SEEM THE TYPE TO BE UPSET EASILY AND IN FACT HE APOLOGIZED FOR THE MISTAKES AND SAID HE WOULD CHANGE THEM BUT HE HAS OTHER TIME IMPERATIVES AT THE MOMENT.

https://help.geni.com/hc/en-us/articles/229706587?mobile_site=true

So I ran it from Louella before I cut her loose, and guess who inherited his profiles? :) :)

LOL!

Also. I was bold. I think Rial Levi Lane is the father of Nancy Virginia (Ginni) Essman (my turn to give you a panic attack).

YABUT, I CAN CHANGE STUFF NOW, THANKS TO YOU AND LET ME ASSURE YOU THAT I AM NOT A CARELESS PERSON AND WON'T BE, AS YOU SUGGESTED, GETTING TOO INVOLVED WITH THINGS LIKE MERGES UNTIL I UNDERSTAND A BIT MORE ABOUT WHAT'S GOING ON. THIS HAS BEEN A WORKOUT FOR ME, SITTING HERE.

We need you to do the genealogy!

Hopefully your cousin will be back.

What Id want from you for this tree is to make each profile shine. This is our goal. Here’s an example:

https://wiki.geni.com/index.php/Master_Profile

Col. William Randolph, II, of ‘Turkey Island’

Showing 61-90 of 113 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion