Mary Powell (O'Neal) - and the Cromwells

Started by Tamás Flinn Caldwell-Gilbert on Tuesday, September 3, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 5 posts
9/3/2019 at 6:05 PM

Mary Powell (O'Neil) is currently attached to a father, Sir Henry Cromwell, Kt. and grandfather, Sir Henry Cromwell, Kt. which would make her a great granddaughter of Sir Oliver Cromwell, KB. This is clearly nonsense as signified by the two generations of Sir Cromwells, not to mention that her maiden name is supposedly O'Neil. I think that someone wanted to connect back to THE Oliver Cromwell, Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England, Scotland, and Ireland, but the joke is on them because they got the wrong Oliver. :-)

Anyway, I have disconnected Mary from the two Sir Cromwells.

Sincerely,
Tamas

Private User
9/11/2019 at 7:52 AM

Tamas,

With all due respect, making assumptions on others actions and making statements like "the joke is on them" are rather rude.

It's nice to give others the benefit of the doubt. Haven't you yourself made mistakes while working on your family tree? I would hope others have treated you kinder.

Sincerely,
Barb

7/7/2020 at 5:22 AM

Someone please tell me what is going on here. Mary Talley, that is daughter of John and Ann Talley is now an O'Neil and has three husbands all named John Powell. I am trying to get my line of Powell's straight and then additional information was added that absolutely looks and sounds nuts. Where is the proof?

7/7/2020 at 11:47 AM

I un-merged Mary Talley from Mary O'Neal so that we can try to figure this out. Mary Powell and Mary Powell It still looks like a mess though. George Murray, do you know of a quality, source-based research for these Powell lines that we could use as a basis for cleaning up this tree?

7/7/2020 at 1:43 PM

Good question. I learned by way of Geni that our Robert Edward Powell was the son of John Powell and Mary Talley more than a year ago. I was told Robert was one of eleven (Elevened child was named Eleven (Levin)). But, can find anything out about that. Don't think it was so. I was also working on the Powell connection to A.P. Hill that my aunt was telling me about. But, I couldn't connect the two. But, John Powell and Mary Talley came up as our Robert E Powell's parents which is something I didn't know about. If this is true, I still can not verify it. But, I don't think our John Powell (son Robert Edward Powell) had anything to do with anyone from North Carolina. And by all accounts, Mary Talley has connections way back to 1000 and it looks like it is all well documented. My mothers family were all from the Bedford/Franklin County. Robert Edward Powell was also in the Revelutionary War. This O'Neil connection doesn't look real. I would love to work with you on it more too. I am the only one in my mother's family working on it and I have a ton of information on many our family names and members.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion