Big Chief Wahunsonacock Powhatan - Duplicate people need a merge or a deletion.

Started by Private on Saturday, July 27, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 16 posts
Private
7/27/2019 at 2:21 PM

Duplicate people on Geni get merged or deleted because that is how it works.

In my opinion it probably should be deleted. Lots of errors.

#1 it says Chief Wahunseneca is son of Don Luis de Velasco was his father. Per Bill Deyo this is not true. Don Luis de Velasco otherwise known as "Paquiquineo" was his uncle.

#2 says he was the father of Unity Croshaw -- this is in error -- her father was Major Joseph Croshaw

#3 Says Opechancanough is same person as Eagle Plume -not true per Bill Deyo

#4 Says Cleopatra is the same person as Matachanna. This is also an error

Rather than contribute to the problem I think it would be in the best interest of everyone to just delete the profile.

Erica Howton

7/27/2019 at 7:55 PM

Try to find a place in the tree where it connects correctly, that’s the disconnect point. Once it’s isolated from the World Family Tree a curator can mark Fictional,” and then send that fragment to Geni customer support for deletion.

I wish people would just request management of the Master Profiles, not that it’s even necessary: if you have a path, it’s in your (our) (everyone’s) tree. A concept failing to get across to people ...

7/27/2019 at 8:01 PM

Here’s one “end”

Mary Elizabeth Dulaney Was not the daughter of Zachary Lewis, Sr., of King & Queen

7/27/2019 at 8:20 PM

I’m confused about the parents given for “Rachel” Croshaw, of the Patawomeck

Lesser Chief Japasaw "Iopassus" Patawomeck, of Passapatanzy & sister of Powhatan

Who would be half siblings - doesn’t sound right. Also the dates don’t work (or Japasaw’s are wrong).

Can we check on her Origins?

7/27/2019 at 8:28 PM

Christopher Duane Alm was not the wife of John Martin, of Swansea

Could the curator note for the master profile be improved ?

7/27/2019 at 8:29 PM

Sorry - the wrong wife (with Disputed Ancestry) is Christian Martin, Duplicate tree do not merge

7/27/2019 at 8:34 PM

This tree needs sourcing. She was found as daughter of a fictional Nicati.

Ann Pollard

The whole Big Chief Wahunsonacock Powhatan Profile is so messed up I wouldn't even know where to begin on it.

Unity Croshaw's parents were Major Joseph Croshaw and a Name Unknown woman on the Powhatan -- she has frequently been called Rachel more or less as a place holder name. Name Unknown woman of the Powhatan's father was of the Patawomeck and her mother was a sister of Chief Wahunseneca aka Chief Powhatan. (Source: Wikipedia & Bill Deyo)

This same Name Unknown woman of the Powhatan was thought to have been associated with Thomas "3rd Barron De La Warr" West. Nothing to back this up though that I know of.

I think if you tried to sort out everything on it, it would be more of a headache than just deleting it.

I surely wouldn't want to merge any part of that profile to the Master Profile that's already on Geni. It would take forever to get everything straightened out.

7/28/2019 at 4:32 PM

"I wish people would just request management of the Master Profiles, not that it’s even necessary: if you have a path, it’s in your (our) (everyone’s) tree. A concept failing to get across to people ..."
Private User ALWAYS declines requests...
His Geni profiles states: "Please request to collaborate instead of requesting profile management or requesting profiles to be added to projects (approving those blame me for a adding the profile to the project). I only accept profile management requests from close family of the profile or show up as contributors to the profile, - having added sources, pictures, stories, correcting errors etc. Adding your name only is not a contribution.."
and he weighed in on the Discussion where it was decided to make the PRIMARY manager name BOLD print...
And all the duplicates brought in by gedcom uploads is frustrating...Geni is an awful lot of work.

7/28/2019 at 4:51 PM

Linda (Carr) Buchholz, Kit # FW864102C1 ESPECIALLY when all a Geni user has to do is add their lowest to the line ancestor or ASK for someone to do it for them...

7/28/2019 at 11:00 PM

The duplicate tree was removed by Geni Customer Support as requested. It’s not just the unneeded work merging - there were even more tree errors than Linda noted.

Geni is unique in having a curated tree that represents “the best we know.” Instead of re entering profiles - improve the MPs!

I manage a lot of profiles from tree building or repairing and “want” co managers - more eyes on! So always feel free.

I think that was probably the best solution.

7/29/2019 at 4:56 PM

Private User says this is a “personal attack” but all I have done is QUOTE him.

Private User
7/30/2019 at 12:56 AM

Well, - first of "ALWAYS declines requests" is not true, - I go through that list one or two times a year. If a profile is still in the requested management list after a long time is an indication that no other manager want to approve the request - all managers get such a request, and usually don't approve with a good reason: they want to avoid management collectors, - people who only want their name on the profile. If after a half year with nobody approving the request I reject it.

Immediately approving a management request always results in getting hundreds more from such a user, which I consider as getting spammed.

7/30/2019 at 7:24 AM

Thank you for clarifying your position, Private User.

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion