Abraham Van Meter - Dr Henry Louis Gates tree: origins of Abraham van Meter & his wife Elizabeth

Started by Erica Howton on Friday, July 26, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 17 posts

Piet Roestenburg Has found some interesting documents. Do we think
They’re the same person?

Baptism: https://libwww.freelibrary.org/digital/item/6467
Tree: (different parents for Abraham, parents for Elizabeth Van Meter )
Research summary: https://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000028651203773&

Linda Kathleen Thompson, (c)

Maybe we can verify Elizabeth's parentage through the property she was left:

9 Feb 1801 • from her father Robert's will: "Item, I give and bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth my upper place on Patterson's Creek, also four negroes named Jude, Dine, Jo and Jacob which I give to her and her heirs forever.
Hardy Co, Virginia, now West Virginia

All that I looked at so far looks like this is a likely match.

"Genn's survey of the Patterson Creek Manor in 1747 was followed in 1748 by surveys of the non-manor lots downstream. This was the occasion of young George Washington's visit to the South Branch by way of Pattersons Creek. Genn's party ascended the Creek to the vicinity of the present village of Williamsport, then turned east across the mountain to the VanMeter settlement at Olds Fields."

Source: http://www.wvculture.org/history/journal_wvh/wvh40-2.html

Nice !

—-

us it appears, by almost everyone's research, that the first earnest settlement in the area was circa 1730. There may havebeen a few earlier forays to explore the area, for instance, Issac Vanmeter had been there prior to 1730 to view the lands heapplied for in his Grant.The Van Meters, [Berkeley County, West Virginia] John and his brother Isaac were Indian Traders who knew the country aboutthe Potomac and the Shenandoah as early as 1728. In 1730 John and Issac Van Meter applied to Lord Fairfax for landgrants in VA totaling 40,000 acres upon which to settle their families and friends. "The land applied for on June 17, 1730 ...lying ... the fork of the Sherundo River & the River Opeckon in as many several tracts or dividends as shall be necessary" ......Before the two years were up in which the Van Meters had to colonize the land granted, they had assigned theirGrant to Jost Hite and he in turn brought in Robert McKoy (McKay) as a partner. This transfer by the Van Meters to Hitewas on August 5, 1731. Then on Oct. 25, 1731 Hite & McKay received a grant for 100,000 acres on the west side of the BlueRidge under the same conditions.When Hite first arrived on what he believed to be his land in VA (circa 1730/31), he found blazed trees, plantedmonuments and other marks that indicated to him that someone had already been there. He soon found out fromimmigrants coming in, who had made these marks. The people coming in carried with them deeds from the Van Meters. Hitehad known of the Van Meters from New Jersey. Hite quickly realized that problems lay ahead, especially since the Vanmetergrant appeared to predate his grant and thus was senior. It would appear Hite saw a solution to the problem and anopportunity. Hite quickly arranged to buy the Vanmeters Grant (of June 17th, 1730) and it was assigned to Hite in 1731.Hite appears to have sold out in PA and moved to VA ...

—-

—-

42 Wm Cunningham 242a (also has lot 57 W)
43 Robt Cunningham 338a

—-

Garratt VanMeter 298a
Isaac & Joseph VanMeter 129a
Jacob Van Meter 235a, etc. Adjoining his own land on Spoor'/Spohr's Run
John VanMeter
Joseph VanMeter 288a

And from Abraham van Meter’s extraordinary 1820 will, it’s clear he had property on Patterson’s Creek:

“I also give and bequeath to my beloved wife a small Tract or Parcell of Land lying on the North Fork of Pattersons Creek with its appurtenances. ...

“ do will and order the following Lands be sold by my Executors namely One Tract on Mill Creek, One Tract on the Pattersons Creek Mountain and One Tract on the Allegany Mountain on the waters of Abraham's Creek. And the money arising from such Sales to be qually divided among them, first having divided the sums of Four Hundred Dollars to Joe and his family for their particular attention and faithful servitude to me. ...

And it is my further will and desire that the One Third part of the money arising from the Sale of my personal Estate be equally divided as aforesaid among my Negroes.”

Amazing.

“1823 Joe and Sarah Bruce, great, great, great, great grandparents of Skip Gates, are freed by Abraham van Meter of Hardy County, Virginia, when he dies.”

Joe Bruce & Sarah Bruce

Very unusual situation for that time period! Thank you, Piet Roestenburg for the heads up!

Elizabeth Van Meter left her entire estate to the Bruce’s. So it looks like (some of)the Patterson’s Creek property originally patented by Robert Cunningham from Lord Fairfax (and surveyed by George Washington) ended up in that family. I wonder if we can confirm this through the Library of Virginia website, or the Bureau of Land Management, or other Sources? That would be more evidence for the Cunningham connection.

I find this so moving.

Piet Roestenburg I’ve been meaning to ask - what’s the Moldavian connection for the Van Meters? Are they thought to have originated there?

Erica

There is none, only my mothers aunt is married with Dik van Meeteren

Private

I am emigrated to Moldova

Thats why i am living here, have family in the states, Utah and NY

Tagging Henry Louis Gates, Jr. to the discussion.

A pleasure doing business with you, Piet Roestenburg

So glad you asked the question.

Thank you.

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion