Early MacLeod sources and issues

Started by Anne Brannen on Monday, July 15, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 29 posts

At the time of this writing, the early MacLeod tree is a difficult thing to negotiate; there are various sources giving various trees, and in order to bring order we need to discuss which sources are most important to use. (See https://www.geni.com/projects/Clan-MacLeod/39924)

Profiles concerned in this post so far: Leod, 1st Chief of Clan MacLeod
Tormod / Norman MacLeod, 2nd Chief
Torquil Og MacLeod of Lewis

I know that it can seem, when many experts disagree, that there is no way to figure out what are the most likely true lines. And sometimes that is true, but not always.

It's worth investigating and discussing.

Therefore!

I provide sources and trees for the sources I know -- if I'm missing anything of substance, please add it. Unless it is an unsourced family web tree, in which case please don't. There are other works besides these, but I'm not actually planning on living forever, so I am confining this collection to the sources that are most important for our work here.

VARYING SOURCES FOR EARLY MACLEOD TREE:

1) the very first thing most of us will come across would be unsourced family web trees, from FamilySearch, or Ancestry, or MyHeritage, or the Millenium files, or whatever. If you have a source for the MacLeod tree, look at it -- where does the information come from? If it doesn't have any sources, it is unsourced. If it does have sources, but they are family trees, it is still unsourced -- there might be sources in those family trees, but we don't know what it is. Therefore. It might as well not be there.

2) one of the very well known, and often cited, sources is Alexander MacKenzie's "History of the MacLeods," which can be found https://archive.org/details/historyofmacleod00mack/page/n6 -- published in 1889 in Inverness by A & W Mackenzie. It's not too bad a source, and it's easily available. The problems are that it is very dated scholarship, and though it often cites its sources, it doesn't always. so it is NOT the best source to use, in any vexed piece of the tree. MacKenzie gives Olaf as the father of Leod, along with Leo's brothers Guin and Leandruis. He gives Leod the sons Torquil and Tormod. If your unsourced tree follows this structure, it probably descends from MacKenzie. You can also find MacKenzie's work on the MacLeods here: http://www.yourphotocard.com/Ascanius/documents/History%20of%20the%...

3) "The MacLeods of Dunvegan," by R.C. MacLeod, published in 1927, privately, for the Clan MacLeod Society. Available here: https://archive.org/stream/macleodsofdunveg00macl/macleodsofdunveg0... MacLeod carefully cites his evidence, and looks at several theories; he concludes that Olaf was the father of Leod, and Torquil as Leod's son.

4) "The MacLeods: The History of a Clan," by I.F. Grant, published in 1959 by Faber and Faber. It's not, alas, available online. Sellar (see below) calls this work "splendid," but I can find no citations online -- not even in the Associated Clan MacLeod site, for this early genealogy. If somebody comes across this, or has the volume on the shelf, please look and let us know if she gives any theories as to the beginnings of the MacLeod clan.

5) "The MacLeods: The Genealogy of a Clan," by Alick Morrison, published in 1974, with revised edition in 1990, in Edinburgh, by the Associated Clan MacLeod Societies. This cites primary sources, and is carefully done -- the problem for our purposes is that it is not available online. However! Not surprisingly, the Associated Clan MacLeod Societies database cites it as one of the sources. So that, for instance, if you go here, and scroll down, you can find the citations to it, and citations are given on every page of the genealogy (go to the Index link to see other names): http://macleodgenealogy.com/ACMS/D0021/I1.html -- the Associated Clan MacLeods Societies website is giving Olaf as the father of Leod (though it points to the issues), with Tormod as a son, along with John, Olaus, and two unnamed daughters. Torquil is listed as a grandson, not a son, of Leod.

6) "The MacLeods of Lewis," by William Matheson, published in "Transactions of the Gaelic Society of Inverness, Vol. LI (1978-1980), Inverness, Scotland, 1981, p. 320-337. This is, unfortunately, not available on the web, but again, the Associated Clan MacLeod Societies does link to it. (See the same link in the section above.) It is Matheson who first called into question the tradition that Torquil was a son of Leod -- Morrison built on this, and argued that Torquil was the son of Tormod's son Murdoch. (Though Morrison differed greatly from Matheson on the question of whether or not Olaf was the son of Leod -- he thought so, and Matheson did not.)

7) "The Ancestry of the MacLeods Reconsidered," by W.D.H. Sellar, in "Transactions of the Gaelic Society of Inverness," Vol. LV, 1997-1998, The Gaelic Society of Inverness, 2000, pp. 233-258. A lot of the links we have at the moment on Geni to this work aren't working, because it's no longer hosted on the MacLeod site -- BUT! It is available archived, still, so far: https://web.archive.org/web/20080513072921/http://www.macleodgeneal... -- and this is the most recent, and most important, of the studies -- Sellar,, who died, alas, this last January, was Lord Lyon King of Arms -- so overlooked Scottish heraldry -- form 2008 to 2014. The article linked to here is wonderful, for setting out the issues and the evidence. Sellar gives Torquil as the son of Murdoch. He does posit a father for Leod -- not Olaf, that's right out -- but he gives it as a theory.

Now then.

I leave this for a bit, but essentially, starting from the top down, I'd like for us to get clear on what is best for the Geni site -- and how to construct it.

Thank you.

Thanks for listing the sources in such an orderly fashion, it has been quite confusing trying to keep track of them and their arguments.

4) "The MacLeods: The History of a Clan," by I.F. Grant is available at the New York Public Library, so after school tomorrow I can run over to take a look at it and report back.

Cool!

Tamás Flinn Caldwell-Gilbert, if you happen to notice my fingerprints on that copy, don't tell anyone ;)

I used to work just a couple of blocks from NYPL, and used to accept Isabel Grant as gospel.

It’s available on Amazon, used of course, for $80.

Alas.

$48 plus shipping on ABE.
https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=Grant&bi=0&am...

Insider tip: always check Abebooks.com for used books. You'll often get lower prices and wider availability because it's not as difficult for booksellers to list there as it is for them to list on Amazon.

True. Still more than I can shell out though.

I'm oh so tempted. But I think what I will do instead is add it to my ABE want list. I'm trying to prioritize my buying. So, unless there's suddenly a fantastic deal on something -- it happens -- I want to keep to the plan.

That Sellar speaks so highly of it means a lot to me. And her biography is quite interesting.

Next installment!

So, that was a precis of the sources. At the time of this writing, Leod, 1st Chief of Clan MacLeod does not have Olaf the Black as a father, which is good, cause that is a very dated and untrue tradition, but Guillemuire / Olvir is attached as his father.

This is based on the theory given by Sellar, in the article above. In brief, once the story of Leod being the son of Olaf has been debunked (chronologically it does not hold, as one has to suppose an unknown first wife for Olaf, and tellingly, there is no contemporary evidence for the connection), Sellar turns to four genealogies, all dating from around 1400 or later -- so, also not contemporary evidence -- which give, in one case, Gillemuire, as the father of Leod, and in three cases, Olbar, in different spellings.

Sellar notes that the pedigrees are closely allied, and explains his view of how the name Gillemuire became Olbar: "Given that the Gaelic pronunciation of “son of Gillemuire” (mac (Gh)illemhuire) and “son of Olvir” (mac Olbhuir) is very similar, especially when spoken in the course of a long genealogical “run”, it is easy to see how “Gillemuire” could have been assimilated to “Olvir”, given the prominence of the latter name in MacLeod tradition."

I think, myself, that Sellar makes a very good case for assigning Guillemhuire as Leod's father, and that we should leave that connection -- though notes and Overview need to be bulked up with links and explanations.

So that is one issue. Shall we leave that connection?

And further!

We have Tormod as the son of Leod -- and Torquil not as Leod's son, but his grandfather.

This is also correct -- MacKenzie's book has Torquil as Leod's son, but this has long been known to be untrue.

And at the time of this writing we have no duplicate lines attaching Torquil to Leod -- and Leod's relationships are locked down -- so that's ok.

But let's talk about Tormod / Norman MacLeod, 2nd Chief !

At the moment we have several children for him.

the evidence for Leod and Godfrey comes from the Bannatyne MS from the early 19th century, which is not, according to Matheson, a good source -- it gives the only evidence we have for Leod and Godfrey, and doesn't mention Murdoch, for whom we have a great deal of evidence elsewhere.

The evidence that Christina Fraser was the mother of the Leod and Godfrey who probably weren't there is given by Morrison, who says "it is said" that she married Tormod. I myself find this unconvincing.

Morrison also gives Tormod a son Norman, which is usually an Englishing of Tormod, but in this case, since we are told that he is the founder of the Siol Tormoid, is a mistake for Tormod himself. Who is the founder of the Siol Tormoid.

In essence!

For one thing some of the children are duplicates of each other, so I can just go fix that.

But Leod and Godfrey need to be disconnected; there is no good evidence for them.

Norman needs to be disconnected because he is really his father.

Christina Fraser needs to be disconnected because that connection is shaky. And also her children did not exist.

That is enough for today. I will check in later.

I too think that, having read Sellar's article, that we should go with the Guillemhuire parentage. In the absence of concrete primary source materials, it makes sense to abide by the oldest lineage available, as that is closest to the events (especially compared to the later 18th and 19th century lineages) and Sellar makes quite a strong argument for them.

Unfortunately, Grant's book is not very helpful for our purposes, as she chooses to focus on the overall history of the MacLeod Clan and not on the specifics of its genealogies. While Grant generally abides by R.C. MacLeod's lineage and has Olaf as Leod's father, she mentions other conflicting positions but makes no real attempt to examine or reconcile them in detail and brushes aside the Gaelic lineages as "extremely cryptic" (p. 25). Because Grant focuses on history over genealogy, her later generations are quite difficult to follow and keep track of, but she has Tormod, the second chief, as the son of Leod, or possibly the grandson of Leod and son of a Tormod Sr. (p. 31) and Torquil as a son of Leod.

Thanks for the update on Grant. I will no longer mourn not having the volume.

Sounds like it is an excellent history of the MacLeods, but not necessary for our purposes.

Does THIS Neil....

Neil Campbell

....have anything to do with THIS Neil....

Neil Campbell

???

Not that we know.

A couple of days ago, I was blood to Gilliecoluim / Malcolm MacLeod, 3rd Chief , now I'm not. I had just started following him. Is someone watching all of my activity?

Diana Collins — There wouldn’t be any connection between someone following your activity and the direct line to anybody getting cut.

I haven’t been working yet on the MacLeods at that level, so I don’t know off hand what might have changed in your line.

But when pieces of the medieval tree are in the process of getting cleaned up, lines do change.

However, it’s not at all clear that the issue has anything to do with the medieval profiles. That’s a long line. It could have been changed anywhere on the line.

Thank you very much Chelsey. I'll look over it this weekend. Perfect timing, too. I'm thinking about getting a kilt soon, something with either the Drummond or Kenney colors on it. Thank you for thinking of me.

Have there been DNA research of MacLeod? I took both YDNA 111 and autosomal DNA and have hit with MacLeod.

I have following YDNA
CTS6868 C+
L813 G+
Y8943 T+
FGC17581

L813 is quite interesting since it called the viking DNA because it is ultra norse.

I would love to see some dna charts. I have many dna matches from people that descend from MacLeod and McLeod. Here is just one... an Emily Hilliard that descends from

John Macleod, 16th of Macleod

https://www.geni.com/path/Diana+is+related+to+John-Macleod-16th-of-...

https://www.geni.com/path/Diana+is+related+to+John-Macleod-16th-of-...

Our common ancestor is here....

Sir John Savage IV of Clifton, K.G.

My 15th great grandparents.

I would also be blood to his wife Sibella Mackenzie

Our common Ancestor would be here....

John Stewart, 1st Earl of Atholl

My 15th great grandparents.

I match a Kevin Elliott that is a descendant of a Donald McLeod born 1775 in Sutherland, Scotland and his wife Margaret McKay.

I match a Jeanette (McLeod) Antoniak....no tree, but her McLeod's were from Michigan; Ontario, Canada; Invernessshire, Scotland)

Another named Richard Perry that descends from different branches of MacLeod. A Torquil MacLeod that married a Catherine Campbell. And an Alastair MacLeod that was married to a Margaret Cameron. Says Ivernessshire, Scotland.

Dianna, according to Geni, John Macleod, 16th of Macleod is my 7th cousin 10 times removed through my mom. I haven't done my DNA yet, but I am hoping to get it done soon. My grandmother was a Steward, and my grandfather was a Fletcher. I am very excited to see the results and will share them with you once it's complete.

Also, Sir John Savage, IV, of Clifton, Knight of the Garter is my first cousin 17 times removed on my dad's side.

A Richard MacNeil that goes back to Roderick MacLeod born 1573 and his wife Isabel MacDonell. Says Scotland.

A Dr. Barbara Rae-Venter. She has different branches to MacLeod / McLeod. One being an Angus McLeod, born 1715, married to a Dorothy. In Sutherland, Scotland. I also match her brother.

Here is my connection.
John Macleod, 16th of Macleod is your 19th cousin five times removed.

Showing all 29 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion