Charles, Prince of Wales - Diana and Charles are related!

Started by private on Thursday, July 4, 2019
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 42 posts
private
7/4/2019 at 12:22 PM

So I was shocked today when I discovered My 11th cousin (Prince Charles) married my 12th cousin (Lady Spencer). So then I decided to do a pushpin and I can now see that, according to geni.com, that the couple are related.

Diana, Princess of Wales
→ John Spencer, 8th Earl Spencer her father
→ Albert Spencer his father
→ Margaret Spencer his mother
→ Louisa Baring her mother
→ Elizabeth Bulteel her mother
→ Mary Grey her mother
→ William Ponsonby, 1st Baron Ponsonby her father
→ Elizabeth Ponsonby his mother
→ Prime Minister William Cavendish, 4th Duke of Devonshire her brother
→ Dorothy Bentinck his daughter
→ Lt-Col William Cavendish-Bentinck her son
→ Rev Charles William Frederick Cavendish-Bentinck his son
→ Cecilia Bowes-Lyon, Countess of Strathmore and Kinghorne his daughter
→ Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother her daughter
→ Elizabeth II, Queen of the United Kingdom her daughter
→ Charles, Prince of Wales her son

Your thoughts?

Private User
7/4/2019 at 12:42 PM

@"Charles, Prince of Wales - Diana and Charles are related!"

it wasn't uncommon for Royals to wed a relative, Diana and Charles were 16th cousins once removed as they are both descendants of Tudor King, Henry VII. They are also said to be 7th cousins once removed through William Cavendish, the 3rd Duke of Devonshire. The Duke of Marlborough was another one of Diana’s royal ancestors.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/was-prince-charles-related...

private
7/4/2019 at 1:23 PM

Yes royals and nobles intermarried quite a bit. I'm surprised there weren't extra digits in their hands.

I didn't know about the 7th cousins from William Cavendish. Thanks!

Elizabeth Mccaffrey Hi M. Foss.N Iam not surprised, like you said they inter married to keep family line and fortune. I m reserching my family an my mothers side -family Forgach and I can tell you I had a lot of surprises when I found out that I'm related to Queen Elizabeth II. but I was more surpised that I,m related to Count Dracula and my husban still joking about it! My ancestors and family has more than eight hundreds years history so I needed a lot of digging!

private
7/4/2019 at 1:52 PM

COUNT DRACUA? You mean Vlad the Impaler Dracula, Prince of Wallachia. LOL
Vlad the Impaler Dracula, Prince of Wallachia is my third cousin 15 times removed.
Vlad the Impaler Dracula, Prince of Wallachia#

7/4/2019 at 3:10 PM

All the nobles of the older families are related; it was a much smaller world back then and they didn't marry commoners, so they had a limited pool of possibilities. Many of us are cousins several times over. I have 6 lines through one great grandmother that crisscross frequently, and I'm descended two times from quite a number of couples and three to five times from a few (five times from Henry II, and three times from John of Gaunt and Malcolm Canmore). Remember that marriage was always a political and economic consideration back then; it was most often arranged, or only approved of if "appropriate." It was rare that people married their first cousins--royals had to get a dispensation from the pope to do that--but 3rd cousins and beyond happened all the time.

It was a rather brutal world where people were always trying to grab power--whether it be from one's own siblings or parents, other nobles, royals or other countries -- and one of the primary ways power was gained or maintained was through marriage. Plus alliances were constantly shifting; I have two great grandfathers from Normandy who hated each other and had a duel in which both died; further down the line their descendants married. And some of the royal lines go back to Egypt, the Middle East and from there to ancient India, all due to strategic marriage alliances. Also sometimes when wars ended peace was (hopefully) ensured by the son of one king being joined in marriage to the daughter of the other.

7/4/2019 at 6:43 PM

Charles, Prince of Wales is a 19th grandson of John I "Lackland" King of England.
Diana Spencer, Princess of Wales is a 19th granddaughter of John I "Lackland" King of England.
John I "Lackland" King of England is my 22nd great grandfather.

private
7/4/2019 at 8:22 PM

Hey, John Patrick!
* John I "Lackland", King of England is my 21st great grandfather.
* You're my 19th cousin once removed.

private
7/4/2019 at 8:24 PM

Hey Amy!
You're my 18th cousin once removed.
Your family goes to Egypt? Cleopatra is my 68 Great Aunt!
Cleopatra VII Philopator, Pharaoh of Egypt

private
7/4/2019 at 10:32 PM

Thanks Diana!
Sir Roger Wentworth is my 17th cousin 8 times removed.

7/5/2019 at 7:27 AM

Gediminas, Grand Duke of Lithuania is my 22nd great grandfather, so Vlad the Impaler Dracula, Prince of Wallachia is my 3rd cousin 20x removed.

private
7/5/2019 at 8:33 AM

Diana you are always so fun! Gediminas, King of Lithuania is my 17th great grandfather! Thanks for that one! Count Dracula is a fun addition, eh?

7/5/2019 at 9:04 AM

We seem to have a lot of "blood" connections. Guess we can sink our teeth into that one!

private
7/5/2019 at 9:05 AM

I VANT to test your blood! LOL.

Elizabeth Mccaffrey Hi M. Foss N. to your question yes and so is Elizabeth Bathory the Blood Princess. I am afraid I have to digg out some paper work to name all the people but yeh I think we are all realated to one other, one of my ancestor Baron Andrew Forgach de Ghymes and Gacs is the 12th great great grandfather of Charles Prince of Wales. Andrews son was Pertu Forgach and there is Sophia Forgach, Katalin Forgach.

private
7/5/2019 at 12:31 PM

Elizabeth, I guess she got demoted to Blood Countess? LOL.
Countess Erzsébet - Elizabeth Báthory is my 10th cousin 11 times removed.
https://www.geni.com/people/Countess-Erzsébet-Elizabeth-Báthory/340...

I don't see "Baron Andrew Forgach de Ghymes" but here's what I found:

Ádám Forgách de Ghymes et Gács is my 7th cousin 11 times removed.
https://www.geni.com/people/Ádám-Forgách-de-Ghymes-et-Gács-GR/60000...

Charles, Prince of Wales is Ádám Forgách de Ghymes et Gács' second cousin 12 times removed.

Elizabeth Mccaffrey Yes Adam Forgach is one of my ancestor like I have thought we are all related oneway or the other. Here is Andrew Forgach-died1612 his marrierd to Anna Kamaras de Zelemer son- Petru Forgach. Andrew is HRH Charles's 11th- great grandfather his 3-great grandchild- Krisztina Baroness Kemeny and Andrew's 9th-great grandchild is George VI. Albert Windsor (King of England). Petru Forgach died 1637-married Katalin Ujfalussy. Petru Forgach is HRH Charles's 10th-Great grandfather his 3-Great grandchild is Thereza Banffy de Losoncz and his 9th-Great grandchiled is Elizabeth II. Alexandra Mary Windsor (Queen) of England. Therezia Bannfy de Losoncz -1740--1807 married to Mihaly Count Rhedey de Kis-Rhede she's HRH Charles's 5th-Great grandmother. Emmerich III. Forgach married Catharina Sidonia of Saxe-Lauenburg-1513 married1548-died-1594 Duchess of Teschen. Katalin Forgach born-1615 married Emmerich (Imre) III. Baron Perenyi she was HRH Charles's 9th- Great grandmother (her pedigree courtesy of David.Hughes). Margarete Forgach married to Laszlo Gyulaffy de Ratot shes HRH Charles's 11-Great grandmother her 3-Great grandchild Mary Princess of Thoroczkay (THOROCZKAY) her 9th-Great grandchiled George VI. Albert Windsor King of England. The pedigree of Sophia Forgach-1568-1588 m,arried Gyorgy Thurzo ( Palatin of Hungary) her 2nd-Great grandchildren-Siguna Eleonora von Fugger von Kirchberg-Weissenhorn, Justine Benigne Fugger, Anna Barbara von Wolkenstein her 5th- Great granchiled Johann Jacob I. von Waldburg-Zeil, Maria Elisabeth de Waldburg-Zeil, Josef Franz von Lamberg, Johanna Theresa of Lamberg, Johann Josef Ignatius von Thannhausen, Maria Carolotta Magdalena von Wolkenstein and so an. The family Forgach descannded from two brothers called Hont-Pazman ( Hunt - Poznan) both were knights with owend army fought a lot of wars and served a lot of kings and emperors. The name Forgach adapted in -1222. There were Bishopes and Archbishops in the family of Forgach too, so there is a lot to surch and study.

Private User
7/7/2019 at 10:40 AM

Meghan Markle also related by blood to Prince Harry

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex

7/9/2019 at 2:25 PM

Vickie wanted the royal blood to stay royal, so she tried to marry all the children off to royals in other parts of the country/world.. so it's no surprise that most people are related.

7/9/2019 at 2:36 PM

I wish I was royal.... though some think I'm a royal pain!

private
7/9/2019 at 3:04 PM

I have royal DNA, but I'm not royal. I bought my own castle. LOL.

7/9/2019 at 3:21 PM

I live in a double-wide..... when it rains hard, the water surrounds my house and kinda looks like a moat....guess that's the closest I'll come to a castle! Oh well....life is good. lol

private
7/9/2019 at 4:13 PM

Your castle sounds lovely, Diana! My castle has a little beast (Chihuahua and terrier mix) who is the castle guard and a royal pain. I'm happy to meet you around here, cousin..

Best to you from sunny California

7/9/2019 at 5:11 PM

Well... we didn't have much when I was growing up. I always got hand me downs from my older sisters. I have never been a material girl. People have told me "You must have lived a sheltered life".... heck, I didn't even have a cell phone until 2009....had never used an ATM machine until about 2010. A true story...my parents were determined to be on their own when they got married in 1956. My dad actually gutted an old bus and he and his father made it into a livable little house on wheels.

Yes, I too have a ton of royal blood runnin' thru my veins. I have said this before..... so why aren't I sitting on my balcony, overlooking my vineyard, sipping my cup of tea.... with my little pink pointed towards the heavens above? All I can think of is....one of my ancestors must have given up their worldly riches to be with the love of their life. And I thank them for that....

Diana Collins I think we are all abondend by our rulers, I think this should be the other way around as my ancestors were here long before them, we have a hereditary title but have not claimed or used it yet I said to my husband as a joke if I die put an my head stone that: Countess Elizabeth Mccaffrey died pennyi less! We still lough about it!

7/10/2019 at 1:05 PM

It would be nice to visit one of my ancestor's castles, but that will never happen. I've never visited a castle at all. We drove by a tourist attraction....kind of a castle... that belonged to a blood relative of mine, but we couldn't afford to buy tickets to tour it. My relative is this profile...

George Washington Vanderbilt

He built the Biltmore in Asheville, NC. He is my 6th cousin 4x removed.

private
7/10/2019 at 1:29 PM

Thanks! George Washington Vanderbilt II is my 15th cousin four times removed.

Showing 1-30 of 42 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion